“Small Rooms but good service”

Hyatt Place Atlanta/Downtown
Ranked #25 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights. My husband and I were really surprised by the small bathrooms. Overall I was not happy with my room but the beds were comfortable and the service was good. They offer free breakfast and wifi. If they could make the rooms a little bigger and provide better bathrooms(window in bathroom) I would give this hotel at least 4 stars.

Room Tip: not much to choose from.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Atlanta/Downtown

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This has to be the best breakfast in any hotel I have ever stayed at. Room was pretty clean too! I didnt have to pay for this room bc I was in town for work, but somehow I got a pretty good deal on my room for the two-nights I stayed. The guys at the desk were super friendly and very accommodating. They made sure I was taken care of. They even have security which made me feel a little safer as the hotel was located in the oh so dangerous streets of atlanta. But this hotel gets 5/5 bc of their delicious and healthy breakfast! Still had to get my coffee at starbucks down the road! Starbucks lady for life!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel is located in downtown Atlanta, convenient to highways. The rooms are in very good condition, spacious, with a sitting area separated from the beds by a partition. The breakfast was very good, however, we did not all get to eat it. At 8:30, all the much-advertised "skillet" sandwiches were gone and, though we asked, no more were made. At least 6 other guests came to breakfast after us and found the same. Worse, the coffee had run out, we had to wait for more to be served, and it was only enough for us to have 2 cups. Surfaces in the breakfast area needed to be wiped down. Tables were sticky and serving areas had food residue on it. Staff started picking up the fruit, toast, and other food at 8:45 so we were not able to bring breakfast to our daughter, who was sleeping up in the room. When we asked if we could get more fruit, we were told no. The focus was on cleaning up food, not serving it to guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while I was attending a business conference at the Marriott Marquis which is a couple of blocks away. It is located on Peachtree Street across from the Suntrust Plaza. I drove and parked in their small gated parking lot. It appeared to have room for about 20-25 cars. They also have a few spaces directly out front. They do charge a $22 per night parking fee. I walked back and forth from the Hyatt to the Marriott a couple of times and felt perfectly safe. There is also a free shuttle van that transports guests within a few mile radius of the hotel. I used it several times as well. The longest I had to wait after calling for the shuttle was 15 minutes and that was on Saturday evening. Once I parked my car, I didn't move it again until I left Saturday night. They also allowed me to leave my car parked there the day I checked out until 7pm at no additional charge.

The hotel staff was very friendly and greeted me promptly on check-in. I arrived early due to an early business meeting at the Marriott and was checked in promptly and given a key card to access the gated parking and the clerk offered to call me and let me know when the room was ready, but I knew I would be arriving back in the early evening so it wasn't necessary. I arrived back at the hotel around 6pm and was greeted warmly and promptly issued my room key, and told about hotel amenities. They do offer free wireless internet. At many of the other hotels I researched, there is an additional $12 -$18 charge per day for wireless access.

My room was a King room and was located on the 6th floor. The room was modern and was set up like a small studio apartment and was spacious, but the bathroom is very small. There was a large L shaped couch with a partial room divider between the sitting area and bedroom area. There was also a large writing desk and several outlets. The bed was very comfortable. The television is a large flat screen and swivels so it can be watched from either area. There is also an electrical outlet panel on the side with USB and other connections. They do offer a lot of movies and specialty television channels but they are pretty pricey. I thought about watching a movie Friday evening, but at $14.99 I passed. There area also regular cable channels available.

There was also a fridge and microwave in the room, but the fridge was not working. I advised the front desk the next morning of the problem and when I got back that evening it had been fixed. The bathroom is rather small and there is no other place to change clothes or get dressed in private, so if you are sharing the room with a roommate you might want to keep this in mind.

They do also offer a complimentary hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, yogurt, bagels, toast, juice and coffee. The seating is limited but but I didn't have a problem finding a place to sit. Additionally, they have a convenience deli counter that offers prepackaged salads, hummus, yogurt, juices, bottled water, and sodas. You can also get made to order sandwiches. They are also located right next to Max Lager's restaurant which has a great Chicken Bacon quesadilla!

On Friday night I did hear an echo of music that I believe might have been coming from the restaurant, but it wasn't loud enough to disturb me or keep me awake.

There is a large safe in the room. I stored my 17" laptop inside. I also forgot my tablet one day and left it lying on the bed and it was still there when I returned at 9pm that evening
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Regina M
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed here for a planned meeting for 5 nights. Room was very comfortable & quite lovely - breakfast was nice & tasty with a lot of variety. BUT, when you tell guests, breakfast is served from 6:00 - 10:00 A.M., don't be putting items away at 9:20 A.M. Also, we have been AAA members for 27 years and this is the first time we were told they wouldn't accept our discount because the person who made our reservation didn't note we had AAA and because they were booked, "blackout dates" were in effect and they would not give us our discount. NEVER had we had a problem using our AAA membership and we have travelled to many large cities and stayed in many large, well-known chains. We had our membership card & had made the reservations 2 months ahead of time. The 2 people we talked with made no effort to correct the situation. Not our fault the reservation person from Hyatt didn't make a notation we had this discount or that they were booked.

Room Tip: No pool or Jacuzzi at this facility. Hard Rock Café is about the only chain restaurant that is clos...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Decent studio suite. Comfortable king bed, large tv. Friendly staff. Fresh fruit at breakfast, everything else forgettable - also very limited seating area. Don't venture out after dark. The surrounding area is not very inviting. Homeless shelter nearby...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Place (about a block from the Hyatt Regency) only because the Regency had no rooms available on a transit day we needed. What a nice surprise to find the room far more spacious and better appointed than comparable rooms in the Regency property. Saved about $100/night and the only thing really missing was bell service, valet parking (the Hyatt Place's enclosed, secure self-park is just a few feet from the lobby door) and the cool and classic lobby aesthetic over at the Regency. Complimentary breakfast and shuttle service were unanticipated value adds. Will stay here again on our next visit or pass-through Atlanta and spend the savings at a Braves game!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family