“Average - no idea how this hotel is rated no.1 in Atlanta!!”

Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Buckhead
Ranked #9 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We arrived at the hotel after a long flight from the UK for an overnight stay. We had booked it based on the Tripadvisor rating of number 1 in Atlanta, expecting it to be great value and a good experience. Unfortunately it fails to deliver on both counts.

The first problem was that they didn't have a bellboy available at 10pm. This is not what I would expect from any hotel, let alone one rated highly. Anyway, so I had to move my own luggage up to the room.

The room itself was clean and large enough, but completely non-descript. It could have been any Marriott, Hyatt or other chain from anywhere in the world. The view from the room over a dull carpark was no better. The cord for the blinds broke within 2 pulls and I didn't bother to report it - I assumed that since they had no one to carry bags, I'd have no chance of getting a blind fixed at night.

Next, why have they put in beds that are so high?? They were so high that our 4 yr old couldn't get into without help and they are so high that it was dangerous for children who have a tendency to roll around and occassionally fall off.

The breakfast the next morning was fine, but again didn't understand why the great reviews on Tripadvisor. It was acceptable for what it was - a limited choice buffet, but nothing more.

The best thing about the hotel was the reception staff on the morning of checkout. She was very friendly, courteous and helpful and extremely attentive. She said she had just relocated from Florida and was very nice to talk to her.

Given that the hotel was $25 per night more than the Downtown Courtyard Marriott, I don't feel it offered good value. I would not recommend this hotel as number 1 in Atlanta.

Room Tip: Avoid anything with a car park view. Ask for normal height beds if they exist if you have children.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sanjay M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,376)

Reviewed 17 August 2012

The hotel is a nice distance from downtown and other shopping. The clerk upon arrival was pleasant and upbeat. When we checked in cookies were available at the counter (always available) and mini pizzas at the bar (manager special). Tasty treat after traveling to the hotel. The hotel lobby decor was welcoming.

The room contained Simmons Beautyrest mattresses, that slept well. Everything in the room was in order. The maid that serviced the room the first day was efficient (we happen to stop by the room when she was cleaning). The room was a bit askew after cleaning the second day - pillowcase was left off of a pillow and the foot banner was left on a chair.

Breakfast had a variety of tasty hot foods - grits, biscuits, bacon and sausage, made to order omelets and waffles.

Would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
2  Thank mekaye
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is definitely a first class hotel. I stayed there a few weeks ago for two nights and found it to be the finest hotel I've ever stayed in; I will definitely return. The complimentary breakfast was superior to any other and included a chef who made waffles and omelets at our request. I appreciated the limo service (since I came without a car) but I felt awkward being taken around by myself in a stretch limo. I wish they had a car to transport individuals or small groups, in addition to the enormous stretch limos.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Connie V
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We had such a great stay there. Slept perfect. The wood floors were incredible a real treat and great suprise. We had the do not disturb sign on the door and left later that day to go out. When we got back fresh towels were at the door waiting for us. Very thoughtfull.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
2  Thank boomerskoal
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We chose the Wingate to attend a wedding in Atlanta. We were delighted with the convenient location and the reasonable price. The service was excellent and the room was large enough to be comfortable. The free limo service proved very helpful for shopping or to attend events and the parking at the hotel was free. The complimentary breakfast was great and cookies and coffee were available at all times. On the way home we received a call from the hotel informing us that we had left clothes in the closet and the Wingate staff promptly mailed them to us. This is a level of service not often seen in a hotel of this price range. We would recommend the Wingate to anyone visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sarirb1
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed at this Wingate for a short business trip in Atlanta. I typically stay at Hilton-brand hotels since I am an Honors Gold member but my company booked this hotel for me. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the front desk clerk. I was checked in quickly. The lobby was very clean and quiet. I parked in the back of the building by the pool. The parking lot was a bit cramped because there were several big trucks, but do-able. My room was on the 4th floor. I had a 2 queen bed room. My room was superb. The bathroom was freshly cleaned, I could smell the bleach. There were several towels and washcloths. The complimentary soaps, lotions, shampoo, etc were pleasant. I wish I had gotten some extra soap for the road. The bed was super comfy. I slept like a baby. The pillows seemed a bit small at first, but once I tucked in for the night, all was well. I didn't hear any road noise. The sheets and comforter was perfect.

I was a little disappointed with the list of TV channels, no MTV, no Vh1 so I couldn't get my junk reality TV fix. But there were 3 different HBO channels. The remote was "clean" I guess it gets sanitized with each guest.

There was adequate storage space for my things and plenty of hangers for my short trip.

The WiFi was free and fast. Plenty of plugs to charge my cell, laptop and iPad big plus.

The lighting was nice. The light switch was located at the entry and right in between the beds, no need to get up and risk tripping over all my junk.

The location of the hotel is close to many offices and an office park across the street. Lenox mall is a quick drive. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius... in a strectch limo. Nice touch! We were able to arrange a ride to the airport using the limo as well.

The breakfast was great. The dining area was comfortable and the food temperatures were appropriate. Cooked to order omelettes and waffles are available. There was also bacon, sausage links, eggs, yogurt, various cereals, fresh fruit, coffee and a cappucino/expresso maker.

I didn't get a chance to have a drink at the bar, but it is fully stocked from what I could see.

It was a bit difficult to exit the hotel during traffic but during rush hour, the police direct traffic so it could be worse.

If in town on business again, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NextStopDiva
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Many of the other reviews sum it up very well. Very clean hotel and rooms, free parking, free breakfast with numerous waiters on-hand, helpful staff, a 'family' feel. Did not see one unhappy guest or member of staff during our 5 night stay. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2012