“Good service but this is Not Mexican cuisine in any form known!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Across the Street

Across the Street
Ranked #847 of 3,929 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Fourth Ward
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good service but this is Not Mexican cuisine in any form known!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

This review is based on a try of this establishment as I frequent many Mexican restaurants in Atlanta and have a few favorites whose quality and service are always in check. Thank goodness it was a Groupon used. How did two people have a $35 bill post Groupon for food that was mostly covered. Listen, cost is no issue when food is good, but when you cant eat anything you order and feel unsatisfied, it becomes a hot mess and complete waste of money. To sum it up all the food was wet and saucy, the sweet potato and plantain chips were oily and tasteless, the corn chowder was not palatable as it was only hot with pepper but tasteless. We also had a Chimichanga and the fajitas. Never have I had fajitas with filets of breasts, plantains, squash and so much sauce that its a wet drenched meal. If nothing else, its like my husband has said and we have seen over and over: "If you go to a Mexican restaurant and the salsa is terrible (as this was- watery and tasteless) then youd better not order anything more. I
Lesson Learned.
It a great area, service good and fantastic drink prices, but the cook needs to be schooled in Mexican cuisine.

• Visited May 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Come here for the patio, not for the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

This restaurant has a great patio on freedom park. The service is notoriously bad, so set your expectations in advance. The food here is fine (not bad, nothing stands out.) I can't imagine why you'd come here though except for the patio!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank winnie1000
Florida
“Really fresh food, friendly service, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

It's an event eating here, and a fun experience. Very creative decorations, good bar and outside seating area. Food was just delicious - really fresh. You can tell they enjoy what they are doing.

Visited April 2012
The ATL
“Cooking with beer is a good thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Across the street from the Highland Bakery (sight of my last review) is “Across the Street” Restaurant which serves Mexican inspired food, seafood, and vegetarian options. We picked Across the Street because of location, reviews and price.

The location being across the street from the Highland Bakery is easy to get to. But parking can be a minor challenge. But people are always coming and going so just be patient. The lunch price is lower than dinner as with most restaurants. But the dinner portions are large (see attached photos). I ordered and I also suggest the Beer Braised Ribs. This meal consists of pork ribs braised in Sweetwater 420 (grilled over pecan chips) and is served with a delightful summer salad and fried slices of whole potatoes.

Our experience was good. The people were friendly, the food was good, the restrooms were clean, and the décor is…different, pleasantly different. The only distraction was a fly or two. But this is an open restaurant with both inside and outside dinning. We were inside.

So, if you find yourself across the street, you might want to try “Across the Street” for some find food.

• Visited September 2011
“Run, don't walk. Away, not toward.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We tried this restaurant a couple of years ago and thought it was just OK, so we didn't go back. Then a few months ago a friend wanted to go there so I tried it again. I had a dish that I liked a lot, so despite the fact that they brought us spoiled milk for our coffee, I asked my fiance to try it again. When we went back, they brought us salsa that was fizzing. Yes, fizzing. When we pointed it out to the waitress, she didn't seem fazed at all and brought us another carafe of fizzing salsa. (Really?!?) Then our meal came. The lettuce on my fiance's tacos was clear and watery, a sign of being old and over refrigerated. My meal came out wrong two times and included food that I told them I was allergic to. The carnitas that I ordered looked like fried roadkill. Instead of being cube of pork that are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside like carnitas should be, it was flat and hard as a rock. When we got home after the meal, we researched the restaurant online and learned that they had recently been given a 40 out of 100 by the health department. Although the rating is currently a 100, I will NEVER go back there.

• Visited May 2011