“Very nice experience”

Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th
Ranked #96 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 10 January 2008

I have to really agree totally with the review below. This is a great concept - felt like having my own little studio apartment in the city. I liked the location - really liked the feel of the midtown area (museums, etc). Be warned a lot of the neighboring shops and eating places are closed on weekends (at least the weekend in December I was there) but a notable exception is the restaurant next door that supplies the hotel with room service - good food and service and you can smoke there.
The staff was very friendly to me and to my child - this is a very 'kid-friendly' place - seems there were quite a few there on the weekend I was there. Special thanks to them for the great directions (was even provided a custom map once).
Yes, the parking fee of $19 a day is mandatory, but you'll pay that most places in mid- or downtown and I found the valet service to be prompt, courteous and safe. I wouldn't call the breakfast gourmet by any means but it was hot and varied. Got a great rate on priceline, no problem with that at all from the hotel. I ended up being very happy I didn't stay is some sterile highrise in downtown. (However the Marta station is more than a block - more like 3- but not bad.)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank bagspact
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th

Reviewed 4 January 2008

One word, extraordinary! My friends and I stayed here for the New Years and this was beyond perfect! The rooms were immaculate, and they really do mean FULL kitchen (complete with dishwasher, utensils, stove top, microwave, FULL fridge). One block from the Arts Center MARTA station, Starbucks was literally next door. The best part of it, the staff. The staff was what made this hotel amazing...southern hospitality to its fullest. They treated us as if we were friends staying at their house. They made sure our stay was comfortable...to whatever means necessary. We were just dumbfounded by them...everytime we walked in, "hey, how y'all doing?" Everytime we walked out, "y'all have fun! And call us if you need a cab back, we wanna make sure y'all get back safely..." And when they write about the free breakfast, they mean it. Do-it-yourself waffles, pancakes, eggs, sausages, hashbrowns...the full works. I didn't even know that this type of establishment still existed...if you want amazing people that love their job and take care of their occupants...a room that is truly "home away from home" and a location that is perfect...this is the place to be!

Shout outs to Justine, Natasha, Chris and the rest of the Residence Inn crew...thanks again for making our stay in ATL a memorable one...

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2007

I paid $104 (last minute deal from Marriott esavers) and it was worth every penny. The rooms are spacious studios complete with kitchenette. The decor of the room was pretty nice too.
I tend to stay at 4 and 5 star hotels when I travel but decided to stay here due to the location of where I needed to be, and I'm glad I did. There was also a really great hot buffet breakfast complete with make your own waffles, eggs, potatoes, croissants, muffins, etc.
For $104....you can't beat it. I'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2007

We had a three night stay at this Residence Inn in July 2007. We travel a lot on business and frequently stay at Residence Inns. Therefore we generally know what to expect. This Residence Inn is located in a pleasant and convenient area of Atlanta. The property itself is visually attractive being nicely decorated and furnished.

The staff is inconsistent. Some are very accommodating and others are indifferent. When we asked for a late checkout, the person at the desk smiled and said "you got it." However, when we first checked in, on a Sunday afternoon, and were given a second floor room, I commented that we had asked for a high floor room. This time I was told that "they are all the same."

The wired internet worked fine after I substituted my cable for the hotel cable which had a broken connector (a sign of things to come). We didn't sleep very well the first night since the closet for the air handler and AC compressor are in the bedroom and cycled on and off all night. The commode in the adjacent bathroom ran all night and kept flushing about every ten minutes. We finally switched the AC fan to "on" from "auto" and closed the bathroom door. The constant noise from the fan sort of masked the compressor cycling and the toilet flushing noises.

The next day I asked about getting the toilet fixed and the "engineer" replaced the "flapper." However this wasn't the problem and a second call indicated that the "valve assembly" probably needed replacing. However, this was never done before we left.

The sofa bed in the living room had seen better days and wasn't comfortable to sit on. We never could get the refrigerator to stop freezing our bottled water, regardless of the temperature setting (I think the control was broken). One of the wheels on the desk chair came off when I sat in the chair. When I checked it, I noticed that the bracket on the stand was broken and someone had tried to "fix" it by inserting a piece of cardboard into the broken bracket in an attempt to get the wheel to stay in the bracket. The hotel did give me another chair when I complained.

The light bulb in the desk lamp was burned out and I was told that I couldn't be given a new bulb but would have to wait for "engineering" to do it the next morning (I simply switiched bulbs with another lamp so I could keep working).

In summary, this is a nice property. My only real issue is with the location of the AC fan and compressor. However, the management needs to work harder on maintaining the property and being more responsive to their guests.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank accidental_squirrel
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We arrived in Atlanta after a 9 hour flight from London with 3 kids under 5, so we were tired. We booked a 2 bedroom room and the suite was huge with a full kitchen and two bathrooms. The room was absolutely spotless as was the whole hotel. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are pretty nice. The hotel attracts a really friendly clientel and even teenagers greeted us politely in the lifts. The breakfast room is very nice serving a great range of hot and cold items complimentary - there is even two waffle irons. The location is a great base from which to explore atlanta. A walk away from the main park and a few blocks from the aquarium. All in all a great hotel and if you are travelling with a family an absolutely unbeatable stop off in atlanta.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Nick D
Reviewed 29 October 2006

I recently spent a week at this Residence Inn working on a trial at the federal courthouse (about a 12-minute drive). Thus, I needed room to spread out, a (complimentary) cable connection for my laptop, a decent desk, and a kitchenette so I would not have to eat out all of the time. I had a very pleasant, spacious one-bedroom suite that fit the bill. The bed was good but a little soft for my tastes. Also the cover was not particularly warm when the temperatures started dropping. The staff, overall, were very friendly and helpful. The decor of this hotel is fairly upscale for this type of property; it seems to have been recently renovated. The parking is valet only and a little pricey ($19.50 a night), run by a separate contractor. However, the parking employees were also very congenial and there is "in and out" service for the daily fee. There is a Kroger grocery store about a mile away where you can shop to stock the equipped kitchen, or the hotel has a complimentary grocery shopping service. They also sell a few grocery items in the lobby, and you can order "room service" from a nearby restaurant, the Madison Grill. The included buffet breakfast has some limited hot items that are pretty decent, although service is with disposables. Monday - Friday they serve complimentary beer and wine and food items between 5 - 7pm in the same area where breakfast is seved. Marriott is now entirely nonsmoking, which is a big plus for me. The only thing I did not appreciate at this hotel were some overpowering perfume-like odors that seemed to be intentionally piped into the lobby and the elevators. I highly recommend this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank Detail-Oriented
Reviewed 19 October 2006

I actually stayed here last December for a birthday weekend. I plan to stay here again this year & felt compelled to write a review! We had a standard room which comfortably fit me and 3 friends. The rooms are soooo much more nicer than what you'd normally think of hotels with fridges and such in the room. Very tasteful and jazzy, with artsy pieces on the wall. There was Christmas jazz playing in the elevator areas, which I thought was really cool. You get a discount at the bar/grill next door. The staff & drinks were wonderful!

The hotel is located 1/2 a block from the High Museum, so you can easily walk there. We had great service, the front desk helped us with directions to local sites. We spent aome time in the recreation room, which is where breakfast is served. It is set up like a large living room, very cozy. We shot many free games of pool in there, which we had all to ourselves. I guess everyone else was out sightseeing! The breakfast was immense & all you can eat.

All in all, this is a hotel I would reccomend to people of all ages. It doesn't feel family oriented nor does it feel adults only, it is just a cool little place that feels very homey for a hotel. It was quiet and is very close to things like the Fox, Coca-Cola, and such. The only attraction you can walk to is the High Museum and you'd have to drive or take MARTA to other locations. Very pleased with my stay!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends