“Great Location - Great Staff - Terrible Condition” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th

Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th
Ranked #99 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Location - Great Staff - Terrible Condition”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I usually stay 3 or more times a year at this hotel when we go in to Midtown to see a play at the Woodruff Arts Center Complex. The location is excellent - within easy walking distance to do this and also a couple of acceptable restaurants nearby.

We went last week and on a Tuesday night, I made the reservation 2 hours prior using my Marriott Rewards Elite Member points. When we arrived we were told they were starting a refurbishment of the hotel so the water was off until about 6:30. Why not mention this when I was making the reservation?

So no nice hot shower and chance to spruce up and change clothes before going out to make the theater curtain. So we decided o.k. we will go to plan B - no play we will go out to eat and then just watch a movie in the room - with no kids around- what a treat - something without talking animals!

But wait - the movie channels were not working on the TV- so no movie or play! To be fair the front desk offered to send someone to try and fix the problem - but we were already in our pajamas and I just did not feel like getting redressed for a stranger to come attempt to fix the issue. We just went to sleep.

The condition of our queen suite should have been embarrassing to the Marriott corporation. The easy chair in the room looked worse than a thrift store find - it would have been better to take it out of the room than leave something in that condition in the room.

The ceiling/walls in the bathroom had been recently spackled/repaired which is fine - except the cleaning staff did not clean up the dust from this repair.

The staff were all wonderful. The young lady at the front desk was polite and tried her best to be helpful. The women at the breakfast buffet in the morning was so friendly and went and got me a bottle of water from downstairs when I ask if there was water available (a glass of tap water would have been fine). The breakfast has good selections for a "free" hotel breakfast.

Valet parking has gone up to $28 - ouch!

I am very disappointed that because of the remodeling and the other maintenance glitches our child free romantic night on the town turned in to a less than stellar evening. What a waste of my rewards points.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plum9195

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I enjoyed my time at this hotel. The breakfast was great all the days that I was there. I had a minor problem that they charged my credit card twice however the manager of the hotel got on the phone with my credit card company and got it settle so that the money was available for me to spend for the weekend. The only thing that I would suggest is that they put a safe in each room so that you would feel more secure with your valuables left in the room. The staff was friendly and made sure all my needs were met. It was like my home away from home.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently visited Atlanta to attend a concert at the Woodruff Arts Center. Little did I know that the hotel is only 1 block away!
The hotel is conveniently located in midtown Atlanta at the corner of Peachtree and 17th St. Easy to find. The hotel is very clean outside, and again, very conveniently located. Many restaurants within just a few blocks walk (big Atlanta blocks). The only downside is that they only offer valet parking.
The check-in was very easy and the receptionist very nice. The hotel lobby is expansive and clean.
Our room was a studio with full kitchen. It was very nicely appointed and very clean. It was also a good size room for the price paid. We traveled with our pet, for an additional $100 which was convenient. Grassy areas are nearby for walking.
Everyone member of staff I came across was super nice. The included breakfast was nice with sausage, gravy, grits, eggs. More than a typical continental breakfast. They also had different breads.
Wi-fi was included, and the speed seemed consistently good.
Overall, a great stay. I very well may stay here again on my next Atlanta trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PSBChris
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. My son and I spent one night in order to attend a concert at symphony hall.

The staff was pleasant and professional. Valet parking, required, but included in my room rate, was fast, easy and professional. The valets did not hang around begging for tips, and still gave great service, very professional. Therefore, they warranted tipping.

Desk service checking in was busy, but very pleasant and professional. I appreciate management working hard to find such good representatives.

Room was clean and comfortable. Includes a very adequate kitchenette. The bed was quite good. Breakfast was basic but good--eggs were real.

No pool, but pool table was nice.

The reason for 4 stars instead of five is that the sofabed was not made up, and only two flat sheets and a single pillow for it in a bag in the closet. No blanket, etc. Sofabed typically uncomfortable. There was no book listing nearby restaurants, grocery or convenience stores, or delivery pizza, etc., which would have been very handy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Hampshire, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed here two nights while dropping our son at college. The first night, some sort of water leak wet the carpet near the bathroom. It was not a huge deal, but the executive housekeeper -- Crispin Harris -- bent over backwards to make things right, moving us to a new room, giving us free parking and leaving us a note of apology in our new room. Beyond that, the hotel is in a great location and has very nice rooms. My only complaints would be that the hot food on the breakfast bar was lukewarm, and it's a bit nauseating to try and find some fresh air in the patio area in front of the hotel and have to breathe second-hand smoke. A designated smoking area would be appreciated by us non-smokers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were in town for the Old Master's exhibit at the High Museum which is a stone's throw from the Residence Inn Midtown. They offered a great rate with free parking ($30 value) and two tickets to the Museum ($40 value) and we couldn't resist. Found the hotel staff to be first rate and very helpful. The rooms were relatively large and well equipped (we reserved the one bedroom suite with kitchen.) The bed was top notch and the furnishings were perfect for the room. The only downside of this hotel is that it is very popular and shows a "bit of wear". Some wall paper edges were visible and the toilet seat had a chip in it. These were pretty minor and to be expected in a high volume facility. All in all, a tremendous value but not the Ritz which is down the street.

Room Tip: Try to get the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TennesseeChemist
Bremerton, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at this Marriott Residence Inn last month so that we could visit the Girl with a Pearl Earring exhibit at the High Museum. It has to be the closest hotel to the museum as it was just down a block and across the street. We were perfectly comfortable walking back to the hotel after dark (we visited the museum on the one day of the month it is open until 10 pm). The bellman was extremely helpful and friendly, while the man checking us in was not very friendly, although he was efficient and quick. The hotel is a very nice Residence Inn, although our room could have used a refurbish. It reeked of 1990s décor. We liked the full kitchen and the comfortable bed. The free breakfast was good and the breakfast room was nice and large with lots of tables. The valet parking was good, and they allowed us access to our car quickly. This hotel does not have a pool, which is common in Midtown Atlanta, but my kids were disappointed. All in all, we feel we picked the best hotel for our one-night stay. As far as price, I got a great price on Marriott.com as a Marriott Rewards member. I had been watching this hotel's prices for a few weeks before booking and was disappointed that it would not book a one-night stay over the weekend (it required a two-night stay). Then, just a week before the trip, I was able to book a one-night stay at just $99. So it does pay to keep checking.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family