“Lovely room, delightful service, sparkling clean!”
Review of Stonehurst Place

Stonehurst Place
Ranked #1 of 21 Atlanta B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Lovely room, delightful service, sparkling clean!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Lucky for us, all of the suggested hotels for a recent convention at George World Convention Center were booked. This was close, (just 10 or so minutes by car), and the room rates were somewhat comparable to the Omni if you consider free parking, free wi-fi and gorgeous breakfast for two included in the price of the room. What a treat!

The grand architecture (1897) has been carefully preserved yet the furnishings are more contemporary. Unlike some B & Bs, this was crisp and clean, sturdy and surprisingly quiet. We stayed in the Hinman suite - a wonderful respite. Lori and Paul, the innkeepers, were the perfect hosts. I mentioned when reserving that I am gluten-free, and was surprised that gooey GF brownies awaited me on arrival, and at each breakfast my meal matched the other guests, except mine carefully prepared GF. (They must have advance notice to accommodate!)

Loved that it was a "green" property, loved that everything was geared to a first class stay, and really enjoyed the few guests who joined us at breakfast. (Only 6 rooms so never a real crowd). I noticed the Stonehurst offers last minute pricing on some rooms. Oh if we only lived in Georgia, I would have to run away from home every so often to regroup at this retreat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank wendyscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I spent three delightful nights over the recent Easter weekend. The house is in impeccable condition and beautifully renovated and designed. Our room, The Farnsworth, was in the back on the ground floor, looking out to the back screened porch, and decorated with period details, combined with 1930's Hollywood glamour, a very comfortable queen bed, and a modern bathroom with an intriguing corner stall shower. The small gas fireplace was lit for us each evening when we returned, which helped set the mood and and dispel the chill from the nasty April showers.
Our delicious breakfasts were meticulously prepared and served by the Innkeepers, Lori and Paul, who were most accommodating with our requests, especially the late afternoon tea that Paul served to our room on a silver tea service. We were lucky to share our first breakfast with the owner, Barb, who delighted us with stories of her travels and how she found the house and came to the decision to restore it to its historical splendor. French press coffee, strawberry shortcake, homemade banana nut bread and waffles were outstanding! The music room was lovely and a comfortable place for evening cocktails, as it was too chilly to enjoy the front porch. The gardens were in beautiful bloom, and the award-winning sustainable rain water and filtration water system is an environmental upgrade. Very 'Green'!!
We met some very nice people in our 3 mornings there, including honeymooners. If there is one drawback it would be the heavy footfalls above us after other guests returned for the night, but that is expected on the main floor in a 120 year old house!
All in all the best B & B in town with a convenient midtown location. Worth the price! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Two rooms on the ground floor are easy access, no stairs. (Be aware the house sits on a small hill a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Thomjet
Atlanta, Texas
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I had our (secret) anniversary here some time back and I really have to say that we were overwhelmed with the warmth and generosity of Paul (?), we felt so very welcome. The scenery was perfect, some really great artwork around too, the breakfast was great (best cofee I´ve ever had?).

I just can´t think of a single thing to to like!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alice J
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Stonehurst Place for two nights while traveling through Atlanta. We loved it for these reasons:

-Paul greeted us warmly, even though we arrived close to 10 PM, and still gave us a brief, quiet tour of the lovely home at that late hour.
-Parking is convenient-- in the back or side of the house
-The house is an oasis in the middle of downtown Atlanta
-We stayed in the Piedmont room because it was the least expensive, and it was lovely. The curtains puddled gently on the wood floor, which I understand, from my interior designer friend, is a southern concept. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The bathrobe was cozy. There was a fire gently burning in the gas fireplace in front of our bed as it was unseasonably cold. My husband and I sat by the fire, warmed our toes together, and read. Fresh purple flowers with stylish green accent leaves livened up the room. There was complimentary water that was refilled each day in an Anthropologie/hipster-type glass bottle. There were also 2 pieces of complimentary chocolate, one white and one milk, by the water, on the loveliest, smallest, silver colored tray. There were 4 mirrors in the room for the vain;) One full length mirror was on the pack of the room door, which was helpful. There was a pretty circle shaped mirror above the dresser. There was another mirror near the desk, and then a small lit vanity mirror on the desk. I also liked the white serving tray on which the water was placed, the heavy silver tissue box cover, the mirrored nightstands (absolutely loved those!), and the see through lamps on the nightstands.
-Since we were staying at a bed and breakfast, we were excited to eat breakfast. From the Piedmont room, the dining room was directly outside of our door-- maybe 5 steps away. The first morning, Paul served us first a warm peach cobbler type of sweet to start. It was delicious! Then Paul removed that plate and brought us an egg frittata with pepper bacon and Greek yogurt. Paul also brought us our choice of juice- including grapefruit, orange, apple. French pressed coffee and hot tea were also available in addition to the juice.
The second morning, Paul served us a warm lemon poppyseed muffin with lemon curd or jelly in the middle- again, delicious! It was served with a side of fruit. Then Paul removed that plate and served us berry cream cheese filled French toast with a side of a sausage patty. It was fantastic. Each morning, my husband and I left stuffed, unable to finish the breakfast, and fully satisfied. That might be because...
-During the day, Paul and Lori set out sweets in the dining room for guests to taste as they wished. There were chocolate chip walnut/pecan cookies, a vanilla and almond type of cake, hot chocolate/tea/coffee from a Keurig, sodas and wines. One day, Lori and Paul set out a decadent chocolate mousse and cheesecake layered cake with a thick, moist chocolate crust. It was delicious! My husband and I enjoyed the sweets on a rainy afternoon in the upstairs sitting room while reading Town and Country magazines. It was a wonderful afternoon treat.
-Paul and Lori walked the right line of being warm and welcoming without overwhelming us with conversation.
-The house is pretty-- there is a screened in back porch, which would be nice when the weather is good. There is an indoor front living area where guests can sit and have a drink- it has a piano, fireplace, and a self serve drink cabinet with wines and sodas and a rice cracker mix. The sitting room upstairs was cozy, with two couches, a self serve drink cabinet, magazines, and many windows. There are tea bags and sweets in the dining room for self serve nearly all day. At the head window in the dining room is a beautiful huge shell where several real orchids are planted-- very pretty.
-the location downtown is great! We were able to drive a few minutes to go to Alma Cucina,a modern Mexican restaurant, Bar Meatball, a newly opened meatball restaurant, and Tap, a two floor beer and American cuisine restaurant. I recommend all of these places!

There were a few things that perplexed me, such as:
-the artwork in the Piedmont room. Not my style, as it involved a lot of photos of an unpleasant looking female costume designer.
-was never sure where to leave our little plates once we were finished eating the afternoon sweets. We ended up just leaving them on the communal coffee table.
-the Piedmont bathroom is small-- like a European bathroom. I couldn't put the towel mat on the floor next to the bathroom and open the bathroom door at the same time, as the door then wouldn't open. So I'd have to kick away the floor towel to the sink in order to open the door. It's an old house, so I understand that this was just the style. But I think it's worth noting.
-The Piedmont room is right outside of the dining room, as mentioned above. In the morning, the conversation and laughter can easily be heard while lying in bed.
-During weekdays, breakfast only goes until 9am, and until 10 am on weekdays. For those who like to sleep in on vacation, this requires an alarm clock:(

That's it. We'd definitely stay here again and would heartily recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lea A
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My girlfriend and I had the best vacation of our life here. Everything was perfect and we cannot wait to be back. Sarah was an amazing inkeeper and the food was spectacular every day. There is also a great sitting room to have coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: Gables suite is incredible
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John M
Cartersville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great Bed and Breakfast in the heart of Atlanta. We wanted to find something with great charm and history and this was perfect. Wonderful service and breakfast was wonderful. Loved the house and the artwork. Room was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lara J
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here for a conference I had 2 miles away. The conference hotel ended up being the same price as The Stonehurst and I can't even begin to tell you how much better an option this place was. The inn itself has been meticulously renovated - the innkeepers even gave me a tour of the basement, where all of the cool technology is (rainwater collection system, HVAC, etc.). The rooms are very reasonably sized with extremely comfortable beds and pillows. The fact that I could tell that they had both back and side sleeper pillows on the bed is really impressive. The bathroom in my room was "cozy", but had a very nice shower and cool wall-mounted toilet.

The innkeepers may actually be the nicest people I have met in a long time. Very accommodating for specific requests regarding food restrictions and even assisted us with allowing us to keep our car on premises for an extra day. They give a really good tour of the house as well. They also appear to be master chefs, because the 4 breakfasts we had during our stay rank among some of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Seriously.

If you have any reason to be in the Midtown area for any amount of time, I can't imagine there is a better option for a place to stay than the Stonehurst. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Farnsworth room is really great - one of the cheaper rooms in the house, but you do need to be a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business