All reviews master suite bed and breakfast piedmont park heated floors gourmet breakfast enormous shower b bs walk in closet sitting room other guests soaking tub within walking distance each morning botanical gardens midtown area common areas visiting atlanta
Reviewed 11 November 2009

What a wonderful place! Barb (the owner) did a tremendous job restoring this house to its original glory. It's beautiful and formal without being stuffy.

Trenell, the Innkeeper, was welcoming and accomodating. She even got up early to fix me coffee before I left for an early flight! I did get one of the cheaper suites.

The suite was gorgeous, the bed was comfortable and it was quiet and roomy enough for my needs. However, the bathroom was cramped which was okay because I was alone. If you were traveling with someone else or if you were a large person I could see it being a challenge!

I was in and out of the inn quickly because I was in Atlanta on business but will definitely be back when I can spend more time and enjoy it.

Having been a former residence of the area/neighborhood I can tell you the dining, bars, shopping and Piedmont Park are a treat and all within walking distance!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank eplwv69
Reviewed 5 November 2009

We stayed about six days at Stonehurst and we feel pretty good about it. However, we originally booked one of the two smaller suites and did not have a good experience until we paid a bit more and moved. More on that later.

The large former estate is located on a busy street, but the noise level inside is very low. The grounds are very nice but the stairs up front can be a challenge. Drive up the back and you will have less problems with your luggage. The subway that takes you downtown is about 6 fairly long blocks away, figure 10 to 15 minutes walk. Stonehurst is only about a 10 minute walk to Piedmont park and 5 min more to the Botannical Gardens, both real world class treasures.

As you walk to the park, about one block from the B&B, you will pass right through the heart of Atlanta's gay and lesbian district. There is a great breakfast place right on the corner that is always crowded in the mornings. Breakfast was included so never tried it.

We had booked the Piedmont suite on the first floor at a great rate, about $125/night. (Everything following also applies to identical Farnsworth suite which has the same reversed floor plan and amenities.)

The room was good sized and the bed was comfortable with excellent sheets. The bed spread was a silver horror, but we took that off. There was a bit too much furniture, so it felt crowded. And the closet was very small. But what turned us off was the bathroom. Teeny is saying too much. You could not fit two people in there unless one was taking a shower. The floors and walls were all original tile that had been epoxied white, cracks and all. Very little space for your cosmetic bag or shaving kit. Nice shower head and water pressure but a small tub to stand in. Plenty of nice thick towels and very nice cotton robes.

The room also had a small writing desk and very small flat screen TV about 20 feet away from the head of the bed which made it difficult to watch. Wireless internet was free but not too strong.

The room was so unsatisfactory we took them up on the offer to move into the much more suitable Hinman Suite for an extra $50 per night. The room was about the same size, and was a bit dark, closet was even smaller! and still the small flat screen way away. But the bathroom was humongous with a heated tile floor. Shower had 4 or 5 shower heads and it was big enough to hold 6 people. No exaggeration! Floor was quite slippery in the shower as it had a smooth bottom with nothing to hold onto. There was also a separate outstanding bubbler tub with electronic controls. After a long day, that was very soothing.

The included homemade breakfast was good to very good. Trenell even accomodated our requests for oatmeal. There was usually a fruit cup, some toasted bread, along with an egg dish, sausage, bacon, great coffee and tea selection and packaged orange juice. Served on antique china at a large table in a very nice dining room.

Every night Trenell puts out a selection of wines, and snacks in the foyer. She explained everything and gave us a nice tour when we arrived. There are a couple of large rooms inside, but no one seems to gather. There is also a very nice screen porch in back with fans and nice relaxing furniture.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank themenz
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Have been travelling many times from Europe to Atlanta. This was my first leisure trip. Next time I stay for business, I choose Stonehurst. It is nice and cosy and offers a perfect service.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Spunk2
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Stonehurst. This was our first bed and breakfast experience and it will be hard to top this place. The amenities were superb. The staff was very attentive to our needs and the gourmet breakfast was amazing. I have no complaints! We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VanderbiltNashville
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Perfect Place to explore Atlanta located in Midtown with a lot of urban activity around. Public transport is literally around the corner.

The house itself is absolutely beautifully renovated - with priority to refurbish original items instead of replacing them - a lot of public spaces around in the house invite for relaxing outside your room.

The open fire place in the room was very welcome for a traveller from the Caribbean to survive the autumn in Atlanta ;-)

The breakfast is absolutely perfect changing from day to day and the very friendly inn team is able to arrange the timing to Your travel needs.

Will recommend this place to all my friends after having a stunning (first) time in Atlanta.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo