“Subpar and inefficient”

Ranked #37 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Subpar and inefficient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

First of all the room was extremely too small for $135.00 in comparisons to other hotels. The service personnel were incapable of canceling out my food transaction the night of my stay because the menu offered no variety. Then after I checked out I had to negotiate with the morning staff to cancel out the transaction. Overpriced, small rooms, no microwave, shady employees who will try their best to somehow keep your $25.00 hold. Will never stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcus P, General Manager at Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport North, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
I am very sorry to hear that you received anything other than superior service while here at our hotel. That is definitely disturbing and not the norm for us. We pride ourselves on taking care every guest every time so I am sorry we failed to do that with you. I will definitely research what happened to make sure this doesn't happen again. I really wish you had contacted before leaving so I could have addressed this immediately. Again I apologize and thanks again for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Littleton, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

As I was living our experience at this hotel, I was thinking I can't write a good review . . . and then in the final moments, they redeemed themselves and I can say they were ok in the end.

We just needed a place near the airport for one night as we were getting in late and were leaving early the next morning. As we walked out of the terminal, searching for where we needed to catch our shuttle, we watched the shuttle pull away from the curb. My husband ran after the shuttle with arms flailing, but was not seen. We called the hotel to find when the next shuttle was (and if we were at the right place) and we were told succinctly that we would have to wait another 30 minutes for the next shuttle. OK . . . . (could have been phrased a bit nicer but facts are facts). Shuttle was pretty old and had one of those nasty smelling car fresheners in it so I was happy when we arrived at our destination. (Personal gripe . . . I hate those car fresheners especially when they are by my head as I sit in the last seat on the shuttle)

My husband had booked this hotel through Expedia and asked for 2 double beds as our kids were sharing the room with us. Upon entering the lobby (and waiting 5-10 minutes to be served), we were told that they were out of the rooms that we had booked and because we had booked through a third party (Expedia) we always go to the bottom of the list for room preference (I'm sure Expedia won't be pleased to know this!) Another bummer, but at least there was a pull out for the kids to sleep on.

Since we hadn't eaten and had flown halfway across the country, the kids were hungry. Since there did not appear to be any restaurants within easy walking distance at 11 p.m., we decided we'd just go down to the bar where they had food. It was a bit crazy as the folks checking people in the hotel were also having to serve the bar/restaurant. The lady that had snapped at my husband about the shuttle took our food order and served us our beers. Time passed, and passed, and passed . . . . Three beers later, still no food and the lounge contained only our family. Our kids' eyes were glazed over by this time but they were still hungry. Damien (the front desk clerk who checked us in) walked by us and said "Did you guys order food?" And we said, yes about an hour ago! After trying to figure out where our order was, Damien took the order again (now 12:10 a.m.) and went to the kitchen and cooked it. Damien was very nice and apologetic and he finally got us what we ordered and it was tasty.

The next morning, we headed down to breakfast. There seemed to be a lot of noise coming from the kitchen but not necessarily a lot of freshly cooked items. Our kids joked that the pancakes looked like something the boys in their scout troop had cooked. However, the breakfast sandwiches tasted great so breakfast was redeemed.

Then it was time to check out. My husband got the receipt and came over to us as we waited for the shuttle to take us back to the airport. As we waited, he reviewed the receipt and guess what? They charged us twice for the dinner that we didn't get until 12:30 a.m.! So off my husband goes back to the desk. The lady who was working turned out to be the manager and was very accommodating and apologetic. Not only did she refund our dinners, she also refunded the beers we had. Though the service was poor, they at least recognized they were poor and made it good.

I will say, the hotel was clean and comfortable. Noisy when the planes started taking off but fine while sleeping.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here one night before flying out of town. Room was very big and clean. Bed comfy and super size TV. Breakfast had lots of choice and shuttle service excellent. I am used to USA service (excellent) but the staff here were even more friendly and efficient than normal. Would stay again!

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I tend to like Hyatt Place hotels. They are attractive and budget-friendly. This hotel was similar, though the service was poor. In the morning, I realized my room did not have a hair dryer. I called down to request one and the woman told me that she'd "try to find one." I told her I needed it fast, as I was preparing to leave for a meeting. She did not respond and hung up. I waited 15 minutes, and did not get a hair dryer. I texted my co-worker in another room who gave me hers.

And then breakfast... Oh, breakfast. They were out of coffee and spoons. I tried to wait for either, but the one woman working the entire breakfast buffet at 7:20AM couldn't get to it in time. Poor woman seemed pretty frazzled. I ate my oatmeal with a fork!

The hotel and room itself were fine.

2 Thank betterinblack
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Clean with great decor! We loved the front staff. They were so helpful helping us navigate Atlanta. My boys loved the large chocolate chip cookies served. Breakfast offered many choices, but lacked flavored creamer. We would stay again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Terre Haute, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I was in town for a convention and wanted a place close to the airport. The parking lot is very small. It will only hold a limited number of cars. I guess they get a lot of shuttle traffic from the airport. But if you drive your own car, keep this in mind as you may need to park early before the spaces are gone.
Check - in was slow. I had booked on line, but yet the person at the desk asked for assistance on handling the check -in. The room was very spacious and clean. Getting on the internet was a breeze. The hallway doors are paper thin and you can hear all noise in the hall. The closet in the room was ridiculously small and by that I mean the width of the closet. You had to hand clothes at an angel in order to get them in the closet.
I went down to the bar that evening. The bartender was engaged with a couple of people and ignored me and another at the bar. I found the staff rude. After 10 minutes I said the heck with and went elsewhere. I discovered the next morning that the television did not work well. Only digital channels would come in and the analog channels were all static.
Although this hotel is nice inside and close to the airport, when I take into account the poor parking and unfriendly staff I think I will stay somewhere else the next time I am in Atlanta. Very disappointed with this Hyatt hotel.

1 Thank OrlandoMouse
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I love Hyatt Place hotels! They are my go to in pretty much every city, because I know I will always have a great, comfortable, clean room with a great experience for a great price. I am a travel agent and I sell aTON of this hotel to preflight clients, especially with their park and fly combo package. It is in a great location, is one of the best airport hotels, and with the option to park your car and take the shuttle to the airport, it is one of the best values out there.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta Airport North
Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport - South
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Airport North
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Atlanta Airport West - Camp Creek

Been to Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport North? Share your experiences!