“Unpreppared for Large Groups”

Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Unpreppared for Large Groups”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was apart of the conference that has been mention here twice already. We were one of the first few to put our names on the "que" for a room at 12:30pm. We were told we were 40th and 41st. We did not get a room until 4:45pm. We were lucky because probably 95% of the people did not have their rooms by the time the conference started.

Afterwards, I soon realized I was given a handicapped accessible room. It was designed for a wheel chair. As one of the first people to receive a room, I was confused why they handed out a handicapped accessible room so quickly. I didn't have a bathtub, so my entire bathroom floor would flood when I showered and I had no counter space for my things. I am also confused as to why their Handicapped Accessible room (designed for a wheelchair) was located on the SIXTH FLOOR. How are they going to get downstair in the case of an emergency?

The internet was complete crap. It worked on and off for the duration of the conference, because their service apparently can't handle 200 people. Seriously? One entire segment of our conference was screwed up because the internet wouldn't work.

My TV would lose its signal quite often. The gym is TINY. There was often a wait for a treadmill and forget trying to walk around if there's more than 5 people lifting.

The breakfast and lunch were actually decent. They had an omelet bar with a good choice of fillings and different egg options. And they offered different foods daily. The lunch was usually a choice of grilled chicken and either a beef or fish option. Good selection of steamed veggies as well. I try to eat healthy, and I surprisingly found there to be plenty of options for healthy eating.

Most of the employees were nice. A few of the dining room servers seemed irritated at times.

The bed sheets were a little dry and scratchy, but nothing too major or out of the ordinary for a hotel

The location is actually really great. It's withing walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. And because it's on Campus, it's very safe. I went out a few times by myself and I never felt uncomfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Holly R
Ricky P, Guest Relations Manager at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback during you recent visit. We sincerely apology for the inconvenience you experienced during the arrival process during your groups check-in. We are working very closely with our operations team to better improve our ability to overcome any of our customers having to wait any length of time past the normal 4pm check in time. We again offer our sincerest apology but hope you offer us the opportunity to regain your trust should your travel plans bring you back to Midtown Atlanta.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here for a business conference. We were required to stay here to attend the conference or we would still have to pay the hotel for other stuff. Doing that would have made the overall price very high. There were about 200 of us that stayed there. We got there on a Sunday to check in for a meeting that night. I didn't get a room til after 8pm (I got to the hotel at 2pm). They said the rooms weren't clean yet and they would get us in by 4pm. They just kept telling everyone they would let us know. The only people who got rooms even close to 4pm were the people who got irate at the on staff manager. To be expecting that many people and to be so unprepared was ridiculous. Everything was fine once I got my room. Great food, good amenities, good location. The unorganized start to my stay put me off for the entire week and probably wouldn't stay there again unless I was forced to (kinda like this time).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shawn S
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while my husband was attending a conference here. The rooms were clean and my husband had a good conference there. The location isn't that great and everything we wanted to do was quite a walk to get to. When we arrived Sunday evening the entire area was dead and we had a hard time finding somewhere to grab some food. It is right on the edge of Georgia Tech which could be convenient for some. Overall it was just fine.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
GaTechHotelRevMgmt, Public Relations Manager at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your most recent visit with us.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Hands-down the worst check-in experience I've ever had. You would the a "hotel an conference center" would be prepared for a conference of several hundred people. Check-in for the conference was from 1-5pm. Check-in for the hotel was supposed to be at 4. The first conference session was from 5-7:30 pm, and as of 5:00 pm no one had their rooms. The front desk keeps blaming their cleaning staff on the lack of room availability - really? At 5 in the afternoon?! Now they have a lobby full of people who are tired after traveling and want nothing more than to freshen up before they have to meet with their industry peers. Some I these people haven't even had a chance to eat all day. The worst part is that because of the conference, I had no option to stay anywhere else, otherwise believe me - I would have. I've been here twice before for conferences a few years ago and it wasn't nearly this bad. Please do NOT book this hotel for your conference!! They do not know how to handle it, nor do they understand basic customer service!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Ethernj
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback form your most recent stay with us. We would like to apologize first and foremost for the unacceptable wait you experienced during your check in prior to your meeting. As the popularity of our hotel continues to grow we have experienced considerable high occupancies on weekends that may traditionally been a little slower. We have taken this opportunity to re-evaluate the departure and arrival process on days of high occupancy turns and would like to thank you for sharing your frustrations with us so only the highest level of customer service is our focus allowing us to better serve our customers. We are committed to making improvements across all areas of the hotel and have shared your comments with our entire team.
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Recently had a work conference at the GT Hotel. Rooms were nice, meals and snacks were plentiful, and the customer service was really top notch. Falisha at the Front Desk and Jamarr on the Bar provided excellent, friendly, pleasant and professional service, as did the housekeeping staff and all other staff we interacted with.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are delighted that we made you feel at home and would like to thank you for staying with us. We will share all of your comments with our entire team.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The staff was very nice-no complaints there. However, the internet was horrible! You would think a conference center would have the best internet available to guests-but when I called to ask about the internet problem, they told me this was what was available! I have better internet capabilities at home! This is unacceptable, especially since this hotel caters to conferences. The rest of the facilities were average. Nice room- seen nicer with regular hotel stays in Atlanta. They politely advised all guests that due to the snow storm they would be short of staff and they would only be able to fix beds the following day-not a problem, at least this is understandable. I did find extra soap and towels, which was appreciated due to these unforeseen circumstances. All in all, not the best hotels I have stayed at, in Atlanta.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Despina H
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. As unfortunate as the most recent snow storm was we want to thank you and all our guest we had the privilege to serve during those four days for your patience and understanding. We will share all of your comments with our entire team and hope that should your travel plans bring to back to Midtown, Atlanta you allow us the opportunity once again to be your gracious host.
Nice, France
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

On check-in my bath room had dirty towels on the floor and water in the bathtub. The following night the WiFi wasn't working.

I know that the unexpected can happen with WiFi, but don't understand how the bathroom thing could've happened.

Now, the good part. The front desk was very helpful in addressing both issues. Have seldom seen staff at the front desk so professional.

Hotel conveniently located. Plenty of resultants within walking distance.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FrankieNice06
GaTechHotelRevMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. It is our goal to strive to exceed every customers expectation and would like to apologize for the mishaps you experienced during your stay. We take very seriously both issues that you encountered and have shared them with the appropriate members of our team. We will share all your comments with our entire team.