“Great Access to Public Transportation”

Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I visited the hotel for just one night but was very satisfied. I was impressed at being able to access many different sites, especially because I did not have a rental car available.

PROS:

- Starbucks directly across the street within the Barnes&Noble bookstore.

- Front desk was very friendly. Allowed me an early check-in (11:00 AM) and was kind enough to honor my request to be situated near my two co-workers.

- A stop for the GA Tech Trolley is directly outside the hotel, which makes for a convenient 3-5 min. ride between the hotel and Midtown MARTA station. Or, if you prefer to take a stroll, the Midtown MARTA station is only a 0.4 mi walk.

- Plentiful restaurants within a walking distance. I visited:
J Christophers for breakfast (0.8 mi)
Gordon Biersch for its microbrews (0.4 mi)
Tin Drum Asia Cafe for a light dinner (0.1 mi)

CONS:

- My room was placed next to the service elevator, which caused a very noisy wake-up in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 4 October 2008

Have stayed at GT Hotel several times since opening in 2004. Rooms and overall maintenance still excellent. Nice large LCD TV and comfortable beds, good bathroom amenities. The service is very good but not over the top. Location is excellent for midtown, but especially good if you have business at Georgia Tech. Rates are very good and often have specials. Breakfast buffet ($14) is nice. There is a great sports bar and sitting area. Parking adjacent for $10/ day.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I was in Atlanta to attend a class at the Georgia Tech Learning Center. The hotel is attached to the Learning Center so it is very convenient. The room was a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. No really special amenities with the room (no MW, no fridge). The wireless worked well, but it wasn't free. The hotel charges $9.95 per day, but if you set it up via the website you get discounts the longer you use it. I didn't find that out until later. The parking was $10 per day or $15 per day with in/out privileges. You may get free parking passes if you have a class. There was also a decent indoor pool.

Georgia Tech is just across the interstate (a bridge crosses the road right next to the hotel).

My really only complaint was the price and extra charges but I guess you are paying for location. Oh and if you want to go anywhere near rush hour expect it to take awhile, traffic is bad.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank WxProphet
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I stayed at this hotel to attend a conference. The hotel has a great midtown Atlanta location with a Starbucks across the street and plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
The hotel looks brand new and the staff was friendly. I felt this was a good value. Reasonable rates for a 4 star quality hotel in a nice area of the city.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 13 July 2008

This is a nice hotel in midtown Atlanta. It is close to peachtree st which has quite a few non-chain restaurants within walking distance. The neighborhood was nice and safe, I went for a run after checking in; there is a nice park not to far away.
There is a fitness area and pool in the hotel. The fitness area is better than most hotel operations: treadmills, universal machine, dip bar and some leg machines. There is also a 10 metre pool and a hot tub.
The restaurant is not bad and I recommend the breakfast buffet, it is pretty good for the price.
The Coke museum is about a mile away towards downtown. I thought the coke museum was a borderline brainwashing operation, but if you like pop you can drink as much as you want.

The two issues I had with the hotel:
1.) You had to pay for internet access. Which is bewildering as I can go to any Comfort Inn in the middle of nowhere and get free wireless yet a hotel in proximity to a university and using their name no less make you pay for it??
2.) There is no free parking. It is $10/day but it's the principle.

All in all not bad for accommodation downtown in a large US city.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I booked the hotel through Expedia, and got three rooms for $65.00 / night, which is well below the average room rate. Keeping the price in mind, I was extremely pleased with the hotel. Parking was decent at 10 bucks per night, and since it's a smaller hotel there wasn't a terrible walk from the parking lot to the rooms. The hotel was in walking distance of the Fox Theater, where I was going to see a show, and just a couple of blocks from lots of restaurants and stores.

That said, if I had paid full price for the hotel room, I would not be happy. There were some minor problems that were irritating. My husband and I had to wait quite a while at the convenience stand for someone to assist us. The lock on our door in our room didn't work (we had to rely on keyed entry and the flip-lock). The remote control to the TV was dead. The toilet was continually running and flushing itself until my husband reached in and fixed it himself (ew!). Fairly minor things, as any hotel could have these problems, and we would have expected worse from most 60-dollar hotels in Atlanta. Since I paid a budget price for a nicer hotel, I didn't say a word, but those who are having to pay full price, beware - you may get a nicer stay elsewhere.

Other than that, room amenities were fine - there were no problems with cleanliness. The room looked fairly new, and we had a huge window with a decent view of the city. The bed was pretty comfortable, and sheets were very soft and clean. We didn't take any room service or visit the hotel restaurant, but the menu seemed to be priced fairly. If I could get the same price on this hotel, I think I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple