“Gorgeous, chic urban property with only a few drawbacks!”

HYATT house Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Ranked #23 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I came to Atlanta for the Thanksgiving holiday and I spent a long time researching which hotel to book for this trip. I chose the Hyatt House Cobb/Galleria because of the great price, the fact that it's fairly new, amenities and location. I have stayed in many Atlanta hotels and this is one of the best.

That said, there are a few issues. The housekeeping needs to care a little more- people pay money to stay in a clean hotel room, and when housekeeping cuts corners it is obvious. Non mopped kitchen floor, goo in the fridge, hairs on sheets, toothpaste gunk on mirrors, non mopped bathroom floor, soap residue in shower- your guests do notice slights in housekeeping even if we do not complain.

Also, the breakfast NEVER once, over the four days we were there, ever had an omelet station. I asked about it and was answered with a vacant look and apathetic shrug from the breakfast attendant. I realize that's an amenity and those are never guaranteed but I find this to be false advertising. Perhaps it's just hard to staff someone who can make omelets. But the breakfast was rubbery scrambled eggs, gray ham, good grits and dry donuts. That's it.

This property is just beautiful and is in the perfect location, and the price can't be beat. They have an amazing fitness center and pool table, bar and outdoor fire pit area. The rooms are lovely and decorated in a minimalist urban way that is altogether alluring. The kitchens are stocked well with dishes and cookware and they'll even go to the grocery store for you if needed.

That's why it's such a shame that they don't have better housekeeping or breakfast. This would be THE most amazing hotel in Atlanta if they did those two things. Front desk staff was totally nice and friendly. I spend a lot of money on hotels when I visit Atlanta and I'd love to have this be my 'go-to' when visiting, but the problems outlined above will cause me to continue my search in the future.

Room Tip: Highway noise can be a bit loud, so if that bothers you make sure to get a room facing away- odd num...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stormycakes
Mark L, Manager at HYATT house Atlanta/Cobb Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Stormycackes,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel so much, but are extremely sorry that your experience with housekeeping and breakfast did not go well and that you also encountered other service issues throughout your stay. This is not the guest experience we strive to provide and we will do all we can to regulate these issues. We do hope we see you again in the future for an improved stay.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great hotel in the Galleria/Cumberland area in Cobb County. Conveniently located (almost walking distance) near the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, shopping and restaurants. Contemporary design. Excellent friendly staff. A couple of negatives: Sorry that our newly designed guest rom included what appeared to be water saving plumbing fixtures. This low flow faucets and showers make it difficult to rinse off and require extra time at the sink and the shower. Not sure if the low flow feature actually saves water, considering that they have to be run twice as long. The complimentary WiFi access was unreliable in our guest room (6th floor). Two separate network choices, but neither worked well. Maybe they are better on the lower floors. The complimentary breakfast was OK. At their current room rates (around $100 per night) this hotel is a fantastic value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EzTravel_12

Dear Eztravel_,12
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback from your recent stay. It is an absolute pleasure to hear that you had such an amazing experience at our hotel and that the staff was smiling and helpful from the moment you checked in. We are extremely sorry that your experience at our rooms did not live up to its expectations. Your comments will be used to make improvements and we hope you will consider returning,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We came back for a second visit. You can see my more detailed review in my previous post.

When we arrived, the Front Desk Service Representative, acknowledged that we stayed with them before and thanked us for returning.

We went for the King Room this time. Still spacious and comfy. Sheets could be a tad bit softer but bed and pillows were super comfy. The single room doesn't have all of the kitchen amenities I shared in the last post but still includes microwave and mini-fridge. Walk in shower. Closet with mirrored sliding doors, and full length mirror just outside bathroom

And! My next magical moment - they added 2 yoga mats and 2 exercise balls since my last visit and review.

Great stay - think this may become our new secret getaway.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear late Blomer09,
We are so happy to hear that everything you experienced at our Hotel was to your liking and that all the staff members you encountered were so welcoming. It is always a pleasure to hear about the different aspects of a guest’s stay and yours sound like the complete Hyatt House guest experience. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

WOW was what I said when I entered my room which was a King Studio Suite but would be better described as a full apartment. This was my third stay in a Hyatt House after I discovered this brand last fall and although I really liked the ones in King of Prussia, PA and Falls Church, VA this one was even better. I stayed there in May and they were only open for about 4 weeks then. Everything was still brand new and I couldn't have furnished or decorated it better myself. Color scheme and type of furniture really met my taste 100 %. The full kitchen was bigger than the one I have at home and contained everything you could ask for. Even wine glasses which you start to really appreciate after having to drink wine from a Hampton Inn paper cup ;-) Very comfortable bed (mattress more on the firmer side exactly as I like it) and a very comfortably lounge type couch in the living room area. The TV sits in the middle and could be moved to either side. The bathroom was amazing, the walk in shower could have easily fit in 4 people, lots of cabinet space as well.

They have a very nice outside patio area with tables and lounge chairs. Unfortunately it faces the ramp to the highway but with some music on my headphones it was still enjoyable. Talking about the highway: I asked for a room facing the parking lot when checking in to avoid any highway noise in the room but I guess they are pretty well insulated. Never heard anything from neighbors or rooms below or above.

I had a minor maintenance issue the second day when one of the kitchen doors nearly came off. After calling the front desk a maintenance guy came up in minutes, checked it out and then fixed it quickly after getting the right tools and spare parts. He asked me how I liked the place and seemed to be proud working there which I think is always a good sign with employees.

I will be back to this particular Hyatt House whenever in the area (another stay for next April is already booked!) and hope for many mores along my future travel routes. I’m a Hilton Diamond member and usually a loyal customer to their brands but when comparing Hyatt Houses and Home 2 Suites which are probably designated for the same customer group the Hyatt Houses win big with me.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the parking lot and may be quieter than the ones on the side of the highway...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Niccolonia,
It is wonderful to hear that you had such a pleasant experience while staying with us. We are especially glad to hear that the service was so good throughout your stay and that the facilities were accommodating to your needs. It would be our pleasure to have you join us for another amusing stay.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed in a two-BR king suite in Atlanta for Vet Day weekend to visit the Georgia Aquarium. Researched on tripadvisor and hotel webpages for just the right place and we found it at this location. Internet/breakfast/parking are complementary. We didn't have the parking problem others complained about. The room accommodation was excellent. I have to say I was concerned about our suite being adjacent to the I-75 ramp, however, my worries were unnecessary. I heard not a peep from traffic even though I am a pin-drop makes me jump kind-of light sleeper. We were on the 5th floor, so I can't speak to lower floors next to the interstate. The suite easily and comfortably accommodates 4 adults. (We had a two bedroom king/king suite but the hotel also offers the king/two queen suite which would accommodate an additional 2 people or more kids). Each bedroom had its own bathroom with a large walk-in glass shower. Very nice. I have no complaints as did other reviewers on tripadvisor about the showers and water pressure, however, my son an his wife who used the other bedroom did say that the water pressure was low. Plenty of hot water. I like hot hot showers and was able to steam up the glass shower pretty good. Also, a note to light sleepers such as myself, you will appreciate that bedroom thermostats (one in each BR) can be set to blow continuously. Our suite had 3 flatscreens, one in each BR and another in the living space. The common area featured a sectional sofa and full kitchen (including dishwasher) with a dinning booth. Decor is modern contemporary throughout the hotel, including suites. This hotel opened 2013 and everything is new and super clean. Not a speck or dust bunny anywhere. Sheets were spotless and fresh. Bed was very comfortable. We were out late for Atlanta nightlife so we didn't get to sample the hotel's evening offerings. Breakfast in the morning was until 9:30am M-F and 10am weekends. Morning meal was fairly basic: coffee, juice, milk, 3 hot items including bacon, oatmeal, eggs (not peppered which was a complaint of other reviewers). Coffee was not too good in my view. English muffins and bagels were offered, along with jellies and butter (no cream cheese). Fruit and cereal also provided. As noted by other guests, there didn't seem to be anyone regularly attending the breakfast. We saw a few guests come and go and no one stopped by to wet-rag the vacated tables. Food however, was all there and hot items were kept hot. This is an all suite hotel with full kitchens so I would not expect to find a made-to-order breakfast here. I know this will make business travelers happy; in-room Internet speed and reliability is excellent. I've spent many nights in hotel rooms for business travel trying to squeeze out work on the laptop between down time with mediocre Internet. This is not a problem at this hotel. The immediate surrounding area is full of things to do, including malls, theater, fine dining, you name it. You are 10 mins from downtown Atlanta. This hotel is in a great location, yet it is not in an area where city noise is going to keep you up all night. Thank goodness! Thanks Hyatt for a great weekend stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear LizaFla
It is a pleasure to hear that you found our Hyatt House to be such a comfortable place to stay. We are so glad that you enjoyed everything from rooms to our amenities and that we were able to meet all of your needs. We hope to see you back again soon for another stay.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

So I stayed at the Hyatt for my boyfriends birthday!!!! The room was nice but the ac made loud noise at night!!! The tv made a funny sound and the refrigerator in the room did not get cold!!!! The breakfast in the morning was just okay!!! The pancakes and waffles were overly cooked and the eggs were COLD!!! They did not have silverware out & when I asked the lady for them . She replied just one second ma'am with a attitude ! It took her 5mins to bring the silverware out!!! The lady's that were working in the back did not seem like they wanted to be there!!! The stay at the Hyatt was just OKAY wasn't worth $214 will not be staying there again !!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tammy_love22
Mark L, General Manager at HYATT house Atlanta/Cobb Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to rate us. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 770-541-2960.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have to agree with the last review posted. Overall, the hotel was awesome, but my friend and I had to walk by ourselves very late at night from the abandoned parking garage across the street. Not to mention that the front desk rep did not give us the correct directions for entering the garage. The only other thing that bothered me was that we had a very late check in which gave the hotel plenty of time to call us about an unexpected leak in our suite. Instead they waited until we were there and told us about being moved; however, in the end we were accommodated and satisfied with the arrangements. I will definitely stay here again, and hopefully that night rep can get a course or two in customer service training.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Traveljunkiemnky

Thank you for your review. After getting your review about the parking, we did receive word that there has been a key pad installed for our guests to enter a 4 digit code instead of checking in an out the access card, and there is no need to fill out the form! All that is needed is to place a logo, obtained from the desk, in your window with parking instruction and a map on the back. Thanks again for your review and I hope to have more good news about the parking soon!