“The Hamburger”

Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Little Five Points
Reviewed 28 July 2016

I came here for the hamburger during my current quest for the best burger in Atlanta. Over time, I'll include reviews all over Georgia since I travel extensively.

OK, first things first, and this is important. C.S. Lewis once wrote "....but, of course, nothing can be better than the best of its own kind". Meaning, a top quality wine cannot be better than a perfectly baked loaf of bread - Better is the wrong word, because you're not comparing the same thing.

The Vortex burger I had - the Blue Shroom - was excellent. But, I cannot compare it to the one I recently had at Fred's Meat and Bread - here's why.

Comparing the Vortex to Fred's Meat and Bread, and The General Muir, is not fair to any of them. They offer different things, in the same way that you can't compare a Wagyu Medallion by Thomas Keller to a superb prime cowboy steak at Bones. Yes, they're both excellent steaks, but they're not comparable. But yet, they are both over-the-top good.

Now, of its kind, the Vortex serves the best burger I've ever had, anywhere. The burger is said to be made of sirloin - I ordered mine medium, and it was cooked perfectly. The burger is a solid foundation to the toppings. And I suspect the toppings, presentation, and the atmosphere are what elevate a solid burger to being really great.

I read something on Tripadvisor about rude staff, but I suspect that if you bring your good manners you'll find them to be extremely nice as I did today.

Only one thing disappointed me, and I'm telling it because the waitress said some people have come a long way to have the burger with sweet potato fries or the "magical" sweet potato tater tots served with honey.

I asked for the sweet potato tater tots with honey, and the waitress apologized and said they do not serve them, or the sweet potato fries, anymore. She said she doesn't know why they were discontinued because they were very, very popular. Who knows?

So, I ordered the plain tater tots since the waitress recommended them. She said they were great and that they are a lot better than the fries. She said the fries are just "OK".

Again the burger was great, but the tater tots? Ok, here we go, I think I know the recipe:

Purchase top quality frozen tater tots along with top quality oil, and cook per the directions on the bag until just right. Well, there you go. I really liked them, but then, I really like tater tots. I have nothing bad to say about them except that they are unremarkable.

I will be back here, a few times, because I can't wait to try some of the other burgers (toppings) listed on the menu.

I hope they work on the fries and tater tots - that would be SO easy to do. I make authentic pommes frites at home like I had in Belgium - I even bough a commercial potato cutter - it's really easy to do, and it would really elevate the experience here, especially with some creative mayo based dippy sauces.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Our last day here in beautiful Atlanta and we just had to eat here, quite amusing for us Brit's to be asked for I.D. Despite all being in our 40s.
Anyway, service and meal was impeccable, couldn't fault any of it.
I ordered the Tex Mex Burger and fries, Stu ordered Tex Mex and Chips and upon arrival is exactly what he got.....Crisps.
Momentary lapse of where the hell am I lol
The waitress was very accommodating and had the 'Chips' replaced with fries :)
If you're visiting Atlanta, you gotta eat here and you certainly won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 26 July 2016

The Vortex in Little Five Points never fails to surpass expectations! Food is always fabulous and so are their staff!! You may have to wait a little bit for a table but it is WELL worth it!! And after you eat you can shop in the areas eclectic shops and see some VERY eclectic people!!

Reviewed 25 July 2016

This is a KID FREE ZONE, and you have to be 21 to enter. This is by Georgia law, as this place is a designated bar (it also has a smoking section). So be prepared to bring your ID to get in. You might also want to read the website to get an idea of where you are going. {I read a lot reviews and most of the negative ones about Vortex are due to idiots not knowing this isn't a typical restaurant.}

There is a small dining area inside, a large bar area, and a outdoor deck. Expect a wait at peak times and for Sunday brunch. The food is fresh and the atmosphere is one-of-a-kind. We've been coming here for 12 years now (when we visit the ATL) and the food is alwyas consistently excellent - burgers, tots, chicken, dawgs, sandwiches, - its all good.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Went there, the smell was horrible. The worst service ever, the girl treat us bad and didnt let us enter, racist with no speaking english people. Atlanta have a lot o better places!

Been to The Vortex? Share your experiences!