“Good Tapas and Drinks”

Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Blue Ridge
Transit: MARTA BUS Route 16 "Noble" stops right across the street from Pura Vida. MARTA BUS Route 2 stops at the corner of Ponce de Leon & North Highland, one block from Pura Vida.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Tapas and Drinks”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Pura Vida and Noche are both tapas restaurants in the Virginia Highlands section of Atlanta. Noche has the better location and a more extensive menu, but my opinion is that the food is better at Pura Vida. Go to Pura Vida for the food, and to Noche to people watch and be watched.

Parking at Pura Vida can be a challenge the first time you drive there. The key is to know that the church parking lot across the street also is available to Pura Vida customers.

• Visited July 2011

Atlanta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Inspired Tapas & Drinks”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I do not love tapas but I do love Pura Vida. At the end of a small dish meal at this Poncey-Highlands restaurant I feel satisfied through and through. This is the kind of food you want to look at first and enjoy eating slowly. Chef Hector Santiago may not have achieved fame through his disappointingly short stint on Top Chef but his food will make you remember him. Pura Vida recently acquired an excellent bartender too. The drinks are delicious but are unfortunately very small, especially for the newly increased pricing. I hope they will either increase the glass sizes or lower the price. It's a friendly restaurant in a quaint part of Atlanta. I feel comfortable sitting at the bar alone - and almost always make an acquaintance - but I love going with friends or a date as well. Definitely order the mussels and make sure to get one of their chocolatey desserts.

• Visited July 2011
Boise, Idaho
“Like Disneyworld - can't do it all by going once”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Pura Vida is a cozy, neighborhood restaurant with an electric yet casual atomsphere.
Start with the high point - the food!. The menu is a collection of 'tapas' - moderately proportioned 'appetizers' that you select. Sort of like designing your own 'tasting menu'. Our first concern was 'alot of money, alittle food' - WRONG! We chose 7 selections between my wife and I were too full to finish dessert. And when the bill came, I thought they miscalculated - less than $100 with drinks and wine.
The food - an amazing blend of caribbean flavors and textures. Hard to believe the imagination and inventiveness it took to develop those dishes. I was truly amazed. My wife's Mojito was the best she ever had and the South American wines (I had a Tempranillo) were a perfect match for the food.
The only negatives were parking (very little) and the service was OK - the service people were somewhat slow and distracted.
I only wish we lived in Atlanta so we could take the cooking class!
It's easy - just go - eat well and enjoy.

• Visited April 2011
Orlando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious tapas, fun atmosphere, and exceptional mojitos!”
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Pura Vida serves Latin and Caribbean influenced tapas in a fun atmosphere in Virginia Highlands. This is a great place to spend an evening with friends, learn the tango or sample one of the best mojitos in Atlanta, and enjoy lively music. I went for the first time in March with a large group of friends, and have been back twice since, once with a small group and another time to celebrate my 15th wedding anniversary. Each time I had a great visit.

1 Thank SuzVIP
Nashville, Tennessee
“Wonderful food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We were visiting Atlanta and lucky enough to have a local recommend this restaurant to us. We called and got reservations that night for 9 pm. Highly recommend calling in advance so you can get a reservation. The inside of the restaurant was dimly lit and cozy. A perfect dinner atmosphere. I thought for the quality of the food the prices were very reasonable and the drinks were delicious!! Wonderful mojitos, margaritas, and the hibiscus punch was great! Like all the other reviews have stated you must try the empanadas. I also recommend the king of crab papaya salad. It is amazing! I wouldn't have ordered it myself but the waitress recommended it and it was wonderful. Another favorite dish of mine if you like garlic was the mushrooms. For dessert we had the churros which were great. They came with a chocolate and whipped topping sauce to dip them in. It was fantastic! You are really missing out if you don't take the time to eat here while in Atlanta!