“Amazing!”

Canoe
Ranked #6 of 4,042 Restaurants in Atlanta
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Chattahoochee River / Woodland Brook
Description: Canoe is located in Atlanta's historic Vinings area on the Chattahoochee River where Buckhead meets Vinings. Canoe's beautiful historic riverside setting makes it the perfect spot for weddings, receptions and private celebrations. Its original cuisine and distinctive design have already been featured in Bon Appetit, Food And Wine, Gourmet, The Wine Spectator and The New York Times. Canoe, recipient of the prestigious Mobil 4 Star Award, was also selected as one of the "Best New Restaurants" in the country by the James Beard Foundation.
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Absolutely delicious! Everything was wonderful! The salmon was phenomenal! The dessert was insanely delicious and I was tempted to lick the plate! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Attention to detail, extremely attentive staff, fresh "made that day" foods. An excellent dining experience.
First of all, don't believe "Open Table" when they tell you nothing is available until after 8:30. We called the restaurant and secured a table for four for 6:15. Upon arrival, we were given a table off to the side, but we asked about the tables along the river with a better view and they were able to put us in an even better spot. Very accommodating. Service was fast and unfailingly helpful... the water glasses were kept filled to the brim, crumbs swept away, etc. The support staff were really on their toes, even after the restaurant filled up. After being seated, you are presented with a long tray of freshly baked breads, including an olive one that was to die for.. and a crispy bread. That bread comes around again-- have as much as you like. Really hard not to fill up on the great bread! Our table took the recommendation of our waitress to sample the Smoked Salmon on crispy potato bread with Vermont goat cheese-- very very tasty AND they will automatically plate anything that you split, saving everyone from noshing from the center plate. EXCELLENT appetizer with just the right amount of zing from a few capers. We also had an amazing corn chowder that is served with tiny ham biscuits and a beautiful marinated golden and red beet salad with whipped goat cheese and candied walnuts. Again, hearing that two of us were sharing, they divided it onto two plates. For entrees, we had the cornmeal crusted rainbow trout with marinated tomatoes (a bit too tangy) Peruvian white beans and collards served over eggplant hummus; the rabbit with Swiss chard and bacon ravioli, sweet potato hash and a candied garlic sauce. We also tried two of the specials, including a striped bass with pesto and a blackened pork tenderloin with a tasty bean concoction and a crispy swiss chard. The menu is heavy on fish (it IS on a river!) and on exotic meats, including duck, lamb, etc. However, I noticed that the table next to us ordered combinations that were vegetarian, taking the risotto from this dish, adding the root vegetables from that one, etc. Waitress was extremely helpful, gave opinions when asked, and was able to describe each dish in detail (something that should not be taken for granted!) Drinks were generous and there were a few unique options to try, such as the Corpse Reviver. Deserts were very different-- from the chocolate grotto with salted caramel and pretzel dust that has been on their menu for years to a really unique Popcorn Iced Sundae that was quite delicious. It's served in a tall glass with huge home made Cracker Jack balls on the side. The ice cream was cold, rich and slightly buttery tasting that is not too too sweet or too "Fake" tasting.
After coffee and desert, we headed down the back steps to take in the beautifully landscaped yard which boasted it's own outdoor bar just yards from the river bank. A few meandering paths with benches and a couple of spots for photos are just beyond the several outdoor tables-- will have to come back when it's cooler! The side yards were set up for a wedding-- would be a lovely spot to tie the knot, for sure.
Again, I would be remiss not to mention how extremely good the service was here-- our waitress was Casie and if I could give the whole team ten stars, I would! (And, no, we're not related!)
This would be a beautiful, relaxing place to just come and have drinks and appetizers on a lazy afternoon, too. Frankly, I'll use any excuse to make sure that I come back!

3  Thank CoastToCoastMom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I feel like the Grinch... This is a genuinely good restaurant with interesting, imaginative cuisine and VERY fresh ingredients and a good wine list. Beautiful ambiance. I WANT to give it 5 stars, but I can't bring myself to. Why? It just feels like they are trying too hard. The menu selections felt "fru-fru" and it was hard to find something I felt like having in between all the exotic selections. Bunny as the house specialty felt much.

I had a scallop pasta and I must say that the scallops were among the best I'd ever had. The veggies were exceptionally fresh and the desserts looked like supreme "calorie bombs".

If you are in the mood for an exotic, imaginative menu, by all means go. Maybe my tepid-ness was more from the mood I was in (tired from long drive that day). It certainly does deliver if you are interested in that kind of experience. I just wasn't that night.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is the second time I have taken a business client here for lunch and once again they did not disappoint. The staff goes out of their way to acknowledge you by name throughout the dinning experience. Nice location along the river with a view.
The menu (at least for lunch) is not extensive but that probably is why their food is so good. They focus on a few primary dishes and strive to perfect those.
Salads are large and very fresh. I do have to say a fair number of their menu items seem to incorporate fried components into them which is something I am not exactly fond of. However, there are a few really good healthier options available.
Would definitely recommend checking this place out if you are in the area.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

What an experience ... Sitting out on the porch overlooking the garden and the river! Last night I watched as about 20 ducks in formation swam up stream fowlowing their leader. The humming birds were at the feeder.
Ok... Dinner ! A glass of white wine and scallops on wild rice along with the tempting bread basket. I like the flat bread and some of the soft patty of butter, spread thinly over it.

Been to Canoe? Share your experiences!