“A great old-style theater”

Plaza Atlanta Theater
Ranked #24 of 57 Fun & Games in Atlanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A great old-style theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

A great venue for catching old movies in all their glory. I've been twice and will be back. As soon as the bar is opened I may never go to another theater!

Visited May 2014

Oxford, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“#CRWN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Attended an event Featuring Elliott Wilson & The Rapper Future.. IT was amazing! Great staff even severed drinks and popcorn. Pretty amazing!

Visited April 2014
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Rennovated Theater, Eclectic Neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Recently renovated, the seats in the main theater are cushy and recline slightly. The majority of the seats have a good view of the screen. As an independent theater, they show both commercial features and diverse indie and classic films. There are many restaurants in the surrounding neighborhood. The traditional Majestic Diner across the street, Flip Burger Bar, and Cafe 340 are all within walking distance. The upstairs theater is small because it was created by enclosing off the balcony seating and adding a screen. The seats are older, not a comfy as those downstairs. The seats are close to the screen, as the space is small, yet a decent setting to view a film.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Molly2903
Brisbane, Australia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“The best find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I went for a hungover walk one morning from The Highland Inn where I was staying and stumbled across this independent theatre. They were showing old samurai movies and I had never seen one and figured in my sensitive state, sitting in a cinema sounded like a great option. I saw Yojimbo and it was really funny. Such a cool little cinema...I was really jealous of some of their coming attractions especially the Betty Paige one. The guy at the candy bar was really friendly too. Loved the old theatre sign out the front.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank vargasgirl1984
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Rocky Horror Picture Show is Alive and Well at the Plaza Theater Atlanta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have seen Rocky Horror about 4 or 5 times in my life. And it has been a while since the last time. But it was Halloween weekend (11/1/2013) and we wanted to do something different. So we went to the midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Plaza Theater. OK... I admit it...I'm not as young as I used to be. So, staying up until midnight to watch a live show and a movie was a big thing for me! Actually it was for all of us in our party! But we did it and were glad we did. Tickets were $12 each, but they made it clear that profits went to support the last independent movie theater in Atlanta. Those young people who put on this live show danced, joked, and acted their way into my heart! They did an outstanding job of keeping us entertained (even during the boring parts of Rocky Horror). There were stupid but fun door prizes, special group dances by their troupe, off-colored sexual jokes, and a very funny hostess who pushed the limit on her humor (much to our pleasure and laughter). The theater was packed and everyone seemed to be having fun. However starting a show at midnight and then ending at 2:30 a.m. was a bit late...I wonder if they could start it a little earlier (11 p.m.?) for us "older" folks. If they did I wonder if they would get more people each week?? Not sure.... Anyway, thank you to the cast who worked so hard to support a worthy cause...the Plaza Theater! Good job!

Visited November 2013