“CAUTION: STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #14 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Douglas, Georgia
“CAUTION: STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Okay first, I am an ambassador member with Intercontinental hotels. I am also a Gold Elite member with the IHG group.

This hotel has has a nice image, but as a guest you get to see the reality. I booked an ambassador suite for 3 nights and was upgraded to the presidential suite. I'm going to list my problems that I encountered:
1. The shower was scorching hot. I called down and reported it and they sent someone up to fix it while I was gone. Also, they had to replace a light that was burned out. Thankfully, I returned while they were still trying to fix the problems. Someone told the mechanic that the shower water didn't get hot enough...total opposite of what I told them. And the maid couldn't find the light that was clearly burned out. They do not inspect the room before they rent them to the guests.
2. Room service food was delicious but only lukewarm on several visits.
The only staff that is somewhat nice are room service staff, the front desk, and upper management. Everyone else walks around with a sour face.
3. Tried booking a spa appointment a full day ahead of time. They told me there was no space available. And this was for the guest in the Presidential Suite, plus I am an ambassador member. This was totally out of line!
4. As an ambassador member I am GUARANTEED a late check-out of 4 pm...guaranteed. It's company policy. But they locked me out of my room by 3:10 and had to send security up to let me in my room. Seriously? Luxury hotel? No.
5. While I was trying to get in my room a cluster of about 3 or 4 maids (housekeeping) saw me struggling and offered no assistance and LAUGHED AT ME...very loudly. This was preposterous.
6. The fireplace in my room emitted a strong gas odor when lit.
7. The floors were heavily scratched.
8. The bellman or staff do not open the doors for you in the valet area. This has become so standard for staff to open doors...I don't know why they don't do it here.

So this is what I did about my problems. I sent an email to hotel staff, who forwarded it to the front desk manager who then forwarded it to the hotel manager. I then replied to his email and copied the general manager to it. The manager told me he would call me back one day, and totally forgot about me. I requested a refund of 2 nights, refund for valet charges, and for 2 in room dining charges. What did I get? An offer for a complimentary night. That's all. And their maids laughed at me! That's awful! Don't stay here. Most of the staff aren't friendly and upper management is a joke.

I will be mailing the corporate office a letter and calling them about this. I will never stay at another intercontinental hotel property again because of the awful way I was treated here. Shame on this hotel! I will also be filing a report with the BBB. Five star service? No. What a joke!

DON'T STAY HERE. There are much better choices in Buckhead, that I have stayed at before.

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank CM90
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Greetings from Atlanta and thank you very much for the thorough review, CM90. I want you to know that, as a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we take all feedback seriously. I understand that our Director of Rooms, Edwin VanRooijen, has been in contact with you regarding your experience. If there is anything else that I can do to make your next visit more comfortable, please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com. Safe travels and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel !!! The front desk representative Makalah was very nice and offered great advise about the hotel. The bar makes the best drinks..The beds are comfortable and clean. I will stay here again. ..

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nadya M
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello and thank you for the wonderful review, Nadya M! It appears that you had the opportunity to experience a few of our amenities here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta! I would have to recommend that, upon your next visit, you experience our all-organic SPA InterContinental. Located on the pool level, our spa offers every imaginable relaxation therapy from gentlemen's facials to deep tissue couples massages. Whatever your desires may be, we're more than happy to accommodate. Thank you again for sharing your experience; please come back and see us again soon!
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I would consider myself a fairly savvy traveler, having traveled all around the world and stayed in many hotels from budget hotels all the way up to the Ritz-Carlton's and Four-Seasons of the world. I had a major problem with getting reservations at the Atlanta hotel. First off, I used a travel agent (@WhatAHotel), which has been nothing but stellar. About two hours before the end of the cancellation window, I receive a message from the agent advising me that the hotel informed him that because I was traveling with myself, my wife, and my two children, we were not permitted to have a roll-away bed in the room--we would have to go with a room with two double beds. This isn't an option for me, as a double bed isn't nearly large enough. Usually, when in a king bedded room, one of our children sleep with my wife and myself, while the other sleeps in a roll-away bed. At this point, I was so angry, I just told the travel agent to cancel the reservation. I thought this was something that the hotel needed to know about, so I E-mailed the Manager of the Reservation Center, as well as the GM. My E-mail was forwarded to the Director of Rooms (Erwin) who promptly responded with a telephone call apologizing for the misunderstanding. My understanding was that he re-made the reservations for arrival today (April 12) in a king room with a roll-away. All the while, keep in mind, the reservation was to celebrate my two children's birthdays. After we hung up the phone, it wasn't five minutes later that I received a cancellation E-mail advising that the reservation was canceled. At this point, I E-mailed everyone, including Erwin, and told them that I would just stay at the Ritz-Carlton across the street where I would receive better service with far less headache. This is all unfortunate, as I was wishing to send some business associates from out of town to your hotel coming into ATL for some training, however I will discourage them and everyone else I know from staying at your hotel. It will take a lot more than a simple "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding" to get be back to the hotel and that, my friends, is a shame.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank icomefromalabama
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Greetings from nearby Atlanta, icomefromalabama. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your experience with us. After all, it is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to further discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.
Orange, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a medical business trip for myself. I was here a year ago and I received the same excellent service and personal care. Jason the hotel car service was awesome and he stood out. The concierge, font desk, and spa people were also excellent. Overall, good clean rooms, clean sheets, and very comfortable bed.

5 Star treatment

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IIMCS
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, IIMCS! I want to thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we're doing; I don't believe I could be any happier with your feedback! Being a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we're always looking to provide that extra little touch to make your entire experience even more enjoyable. I cannot wait to pass along your kind words to Jason and our concierge, front desk and SPA InterContinental teams! Thank you again for the wonderful feedback; regardless whether it's for business or pleasure, we'd love to see you again soon! Safe travels.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I traveled here for business. The room was well designed. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was amazing. I really liked the restaurant and bar downstairs. They specialize in ham if you like that sort of thing. Of course there are other items on the menu.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Greetings from Atlanta, Nick4734! Well, what a wonderfully flattering review! I'm ecstatic that you enjoyed your experience and had the opportunity to indulge a little at Southern Art and Bourbon Bar. As you are probably aware, Southern Art is helmed by celebrity chef and cookbook author Art Smith. Chef Art's classic, yet modern approach to Southern cuisine is like none other; I'm so happy you enjoyed! I certainly hope you were able to try out their famous twelve-layer red velvet cake. It's to die for! Thank you again for your review; come back and see us again soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We have always been big fans of the intercontinental hotel chain. This visit did not disappoint. The check in staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean and nicely decorated, and the bar and restaurant were excellent. One night we went out for dinner and the hotel offered a free shuttle service in an escalade - we felt like VIPs! No complaints at all about this trip - wished we stayed longer than two nights!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
I’m very much humbled by your enthusiastic review, AMToronto29! Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review and, most importantly, for the kind words. As a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, our goal for success is nothing less than exceeding every one of our guests’ expectations. Thank you again and we certainly hope you come back and visit us soon. Safe travels.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Traveled for business and stayed for 4 days. The room is nice with a 50 inch HD TV and the bed has good linens, however it is a bit too hard for my liking. Bathroom is decently sized with a giant tub and shower. The house keeping is great and so is the front desk. The only complaint is that we wished that they would have more fridge/freezer space for our personal items.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Greetings from Atlanta, Angel L! I appreciate your feedback as guest reviews of any kind only help us to further exceed expectations. Also, thank you very much for the flattering comments regarding our staff. You know, as a AAA Five Diamond property we simply do not rest until we know that we’ve anticipated and delivered upon the every needs of our guests. Thanks again for your review and we’re looking forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Safe travels.