“What You Hope For in an Upscale Commercial Hotel”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #14 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“What You Hope For in an Upscale Commercial Hotel”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel because it was the site of a large family and friends gathering. The room and bath were reasonably sized, clean, and comfortable. The turn down service, indeed, all the service, was excellent. All of the help, from doormen, to desk clerks, to concierge, and housekeepers were pleasant and ready and able to help competently.The location is much more inviting than downtown. There was no waiting for elevators. No complaints whatever and I tend to be a cranky old coot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Greetings from InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, jagman8f! Thank you for your oh-so-kind comments regarding your experience; we’re indeed flattered! You know, as a AAA Five Diamond-rated hotel, we take great pride in offering extraordinary experiences to each and every one of our guests. With that said, thank you again for letting us know how we’re doing. Please come back and see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 days with 2 kids at this hotel for our vacation in Atlanta before we headed to Savannah. The location is unbeatable. Much better than downtown. The hotel itself is very clean and lives up to its five star standards . The staff was very helpful and the service was exceptional.
The Bourban Bar we visited twice was busy and there was live music on weekend.
There is fire pit outside and we enjoyed it. One night the fire wasn't lit but as soon as we asked the staff about it, they came out right away( had to call engineer and get new fuel tank) but they got it to work promptly. Loved the wonderful service and attention to detail.There is a small garden is perfect for morning stroll in peace.
There is outdoor pool which we did not use much as it was still cold but the hot tub was great and the pool area was well kept and beautiful.
Overall a wonderful stay with family. Plenty of cafes and great restaurants close by.
We loved this hotel and will highly recommend it to anyone visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed April 2014
Greetings from Atlanta, WanderingVOYAGER10. Thank you for the oh-so-kind review of your recent extended stay with us! You bring up something for which we take tremendous pride – exceeding our guests’ expectations. We simply are not satisfied with meeting an expectation; we must exceed each and every expectation, every time. Thank you again for the very nice review; please come back and see us again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Excellent Buckhead Atlanta location! Beautiful hotel that is close to shopping! Loved the pool top roof along with the up-to-date Gym.

Spa Services looked good - but didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of them.

Hotel had an excellent Jazz band in the lobby. It was a great week-end!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor. Take advantage of the entertainment in the lobby. It was great...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Getpacked77! Thank you for taking a moment to let us know your thoughts about your recent experience with us. I’m thrilled that you had a wonderful weekend getaway and also that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our second floor fitness center. As you mentioned, our gym is fully equipped, up-to-date and offers fantastic views up and down famed Peachtree Road. Thanks again for the review and I hope that you'll come back to see us soon. Safe travels!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Fantastic hotel- walking distance from Lenox shopping and great restaurants, safe area when walking around at night, rooms are average in size but are very clean, very quiet in my room- easy to fall/stay asleep. Hotel staff all very friendly and helpful. Beautiful hotel but not pretentious. Will stay here again the next time I'm in Atlanta.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, NYUGirl777. Thank you so much for your oh-so-kind review! As you mentioned, we're located in a super convenient location just steps from the region's best shopping, dining, and nightlife. Care for a little retail therapy? Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are both just a hop, skip, and a jump away. Looking to indulge in a little regional cuisine? I would suggest Southern Art (located right here in our lobby), but other wonderful options are just steps away. And, for the night owls, there are endless, diverse nightlife options within the area. So, whatever your desires or interests may be, Buckhead has you covered! Thank you again for your flattering review; we're looking forward to welcoming you back again soon. Safe travels.
Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We had a corner room which was lovely.
We were a bit underdressed when hanging out in the bourbon bar. Suits and high heels were the norm. We had a great time. We had the Georgia cheese plate which was very good. I also had a glass of sauterne ( my favourite), a bourbon with lemoncello and a red wine malbec. Awesome. I has a great time and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2014
Hello and greetings, Melfromthepark. I must say that I'm indeed humbled by your kind words! Here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta we understand that it's not just a luxury hotel experience that we're providing, we're also offering a taste of true Southern hospitality. In addition to our wonderfully modern Southern cuisine at Southern Art, we also feature only locally-sourced artwork and design elements throughout the hotel. Really and truly, once you enter our front door you are fully immersed in a luxurious yet comfortable Southern experience. Won't you allow us to welcome you back again soon? We'll be waiting. Safe travels.
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I just returned from an unnecessarily aggravating 3 day Easter weekend (2014) at this hotel. As a "Gold Elite Member" of IHG I had higher expectations of the property. I will state from the outset that the staff was courteous. If the entire experience was as pleasant as what I experienced from their valet service it would have been a different experience. We have stayed at this property five times previously.

When I called for the initial reservation I attempted to book on the concierge club level floor. It was already booked full and it was suggested that upon the day of arrival I make inquiry as to availability which I did. This is when the poor customer service policy began to reveal itself. I had already made reservations redeeming points for one of the three nights were going to be there. When I called earlier in the afternoon on the day of arrival I inquired about the concierge level club floor. Yes, they had availability but I could not use my points to stay there that evening (based upon the original reservation arriving Thursday night) as it would costs @ $ 300 to 'upgrade" for the evening. I declined that offer. I arrived at the hotel late that evening (between 12:30-1:00 AM). Plane delayed. Again, I requested they honor and redeem my points and let us move into the club level floor as we were paying the upgrade for the other 2 days of the weekend. Why would we want or need to move in and then change rooms the next day. They remarked that I would be getting the value of the club level without paying for it. The fact that they had closed the club that evening 3 hours before we arrived didn't seem to be a factor in their analysis. Apparently, they have concerns about my wife and I benefitting from the club level without paying for it. Reasonable, however it was CLOSED for the evening. By now it is 1:15 AM and I am trying to convince the front desk reception agent that I don't want to awaken in 8 hours and have to change rooms. That took 40 minutes for them to see the light that although the room was on Club level we would not unnecessarily benefit from it that day. We were in fact paying for the upgrade the following day. I do not consider that "Gold Elite Member" service by any measure.

The vaunted Concierge Club Level ..... hugely disappointing. The open bar closes at 8:00 pm so they can put out desert. Really...I did not have dinner reservation until later than that time. Why not leave the bar open? Oh, that desert...it was picked up and gone upon my return. After dinner drinks in the club level...not happening....closed. Easter Sunday 12:00 noon in the Club...the only food item available was a 5 gallon bowl of potato chips under a hot light. Really...Easter Sunday at noon....potato chips?? It felt like a cheezy motel experience. Again, everything has been picked up.

I requested a late checkout on Easter Sunday after meeting family for brunch. I was advised that I could have until 2 PM or there would be a $ 50 charge. No too impressive service for a "Gold Elite Member" staying at Concierge Club level paying a $ 100/night upgrade. Upon my return from lunch we were locked out of our room and our luggage remained inside the room. The door locks had been reset and our card key no longer able to access our room. I went back to the desk and had them program another key. Back up to the 19th floor. It did not work. Went back to the desk and they programmed another. It did not work either. Our collective aggravation is building rapidly. Fortunately, the astute front desk attendant sent a manager with me to the room who ultimately had to use his master key to get us back in. Again really unimpressive service for a "Gold Elite Member".

Their Concierge Club level pails in comparison to many others I have visited. Most others appear to leave the bar open. I don't recall being at a place where everything was removed. After dinner, at plenty of other properties we have visited, where we returned to have an after dinner drink a cookie or some dessert item out and available. I certainly do not expect it be staffed at 11:00 or 12:00 midnight however I can pour my self a drink and enjoy a cookie or desert item without assistance.

All in all, in my opinion the Concierge Club Level is of limited or no value. I paid a significant premium for the 3 Diet Cokes and one round of drinks I managed to get during their limited service availability (based upon my schedule). They don't seem to understand and grasp that service and value to me is accommodating my schedule not theirs. Couple that with the arm wrestling event at check in and I have concluded my visits to the Intercontinental Hotel Buckhead. Simply stated this was not worth what you pay and there are plenty of other properties nearby. I intend to explore those other options on my next trip to Atlanta.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Chip W. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your experience with us. After all, it is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.
Maryland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel Easter weekend. The hotel's location is excellent and convenient to restaurants, shopping and MARTA. Our room was very comfortable and clean. While we did not eat at the restaurant, we did have a drink or two at the bar. Our server was excellent; I wish I remembered her name. The bar chips were so good. There is a really nice outdoor area which we were finally able to use on Sunday. As it was Easter, the hotel had a small petting zoo for the hotel's young guests to enjoy. We had great service from everyone at this hotel, but I have to give a special shout out to Jason. He did a great job driving us about and was professional and pleasant. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank jcpatmom
Greetings from Atlanta, jcpatmom! I want to thank you for submitting such a thorough, kind review of your recent experience with us. You struck a chord when you said “I would absolutely stay at this hotel again”. Really and truly, comments like these exemplify all that we strive for! As a AAA FiveDiamond hotel we take pride in every facet of our guest experience (quality, service, amenity offerings, associate professionalism, etc.), and I’m thrilled that these were apparent during your visit. Thank you again for taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing and please come back to see us again soon! Safe travels.