“Nasty, unsupervised, pool area”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #13 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Nasty, unsupervised, pool area”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Yuk! The area reeked of left over greasy food left in plastic trays/cartons that "cured" in the sun for hours. Really pathetic; as NOBODY came around and cleaned up the place. They have a couple of guys working the drink machine but apparently it wasn't their job to keep the place clean.

Management was told about it by several people and nothing was done. The hot tub was GREEN after 10+ kids ran in and out of it for hours. Again, no management of the pool area.

The main pool was a kiddy pool. Period. No adults bothered to even attempt to enter the free-for-all.

Also, way short on lounge chairs, so many adults left on the concrete while families of 5+ took 3+ loungers for their under 10 year old kids. No management of pool activities so you had kids tossing footballs, tennis balls, etc all over the place.

Families would order their brunch and it was brought out to them in these plastic containers that simply rotted in the sun. I saw all kinds of sauce spilled on the lounge chairs inhabited by the kids and parents. Nastiest, smelliest pool scene I've ever encountered.

And this is a 5 star hotel? What a joke. Greasy, over-sized burgers, chicken wings, etc all brought out to the pool area by management. Really? Management encourages families to park themselves on 3+ lounge chairs and stay the entire afternoon. Many did so as my room had a view of the pool area and hours later they would still be out there.

Some adults would drop their towels on a lounge chair and disappear for an hour plus while their partner would constantly swat away people asking if they could use it. Adults left scavenging for loungers while kids sat on most of them.

Check out my photo of a bucket of empty beer cans and plastic trays that sat for hours outside.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rarotonga58
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, rarotonga58. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your July 4th experience with us. After all, it is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to further discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family visited over 4th of July weekend. It was a great stay from start to finish. The reservation manager, Brandon helped to make sure we had a 2 night stay over a busy holiday weekend. When we arrived I was told we were up-graded to a premier room on the 19th floor. Our room wasn't available right away, but since we planned to be gone all day, they took care of getting our luggage into our room and texted to confirm it had happened. Our room was very clean, bed was exceptionally comfortable too. Every place we went the staff smiled and wished us a good day. I was very impressed with everything. The view from our room was amazing. We'll definitely be back =)

Room Tip: Ask to face Peachtree street
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello, lisa0916! Well, I believe that my cheeks are a little red after reading your review; thank you for your humbling comments. I'm absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed every facet of your recent stay with us; after all, it is only with guest feedback that we know that we're truly providing a AAA Five Diamond experience. You know, your comment "We'll definitely be back =)" is music to a general manager's ears. As simple as it sounds, it is our goal for each and every guest to have a great, comfortable and memorable stay. With that said, thank you for your thorough review and for your loyalty. Safe travels.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stay here most years for the Peachtree Road Race. I describe it, and others tend to agree, as "Intercontinental Lite." It's not as nice as other ICs, and the customer service is WAY below the standards of other ICs. Things go wrong and the staff aren't usually very eager to fix them. My wifi didn't work; a staff member barged into our room as he rang the doorbell and not only failed to apologize, but told his supervisor that I was lying (and she agreed!); housekeeping had to be reminded to come to our room one of the three days. The location is great but I don't think we'll be back next year. Rooms are only so so.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ugaindc
SKilmartin, General Manager at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, ugaindc. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your July 4th experience with us. After all, it is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to further discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.
Midland, Ga
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, close to Highland Bakery and Lenox mall. The hotel restaurant, Southern Art, was very good for a romantic anniversary dinner. The bourbon bar and ham bar was fun for cocktails. Employees were friendly, but when I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt across the street from this hotel the employees there know me by name, even though I have only stayed there twice! The rooms at the intercontinental are nice but nothing to write home about. I would most likely not stay here again but would come back to the restaurant and bar.

Stayed September 2013
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, AuburnAlum97. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding your experience with us. After all, it is only with guest feedback that we’re able to provide superior guest service worthy of our AAA Five Diamond designation. With that said, I would like to discuss your comments with you personally. Please email me at intercontinentalbuckhead@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon! Safe travels.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stay here every time I'm in the Atlanta area and I'm never disappointed. It's a beautiful, modern property in a great area and everything you would expect from a nice luxury hotel. The rooms were wonderful and the staff was one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Also, they are excellent with recognizing IHG Rewards loyalty members (I'm an IHG Royal Ambassador and they definitely treated me as such - one of my very best IHG experiences). I strongly recommend staying here, especially of you're an IHG Rewards member.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for such a wonderful review, Mike E! As you most likely witnessed, our goal here at InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta is to exceed expectations each and every time. Because of this, I want to thank you for letting us know that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience! As one of the few AAA Five Diamond-rated hotels in Atlanta, we have an unofficial obligation to treat each and every one of our guests as if they are family. Call it Southern hospitality, but we truly do love what we do; thank you so much for pointing out that this shows. Hopefully we will see you again soon; safe travels!
Neptune Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Had the pleasure of spending a few days here for a conference and enjoyed everything about it. Amazingly comfortable bed! Great big shower and full size tub... Which I took advantage of... :-). Its also in a great location near many good restaurants and even a theater. Will definitely stay here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, Javikat! I want to thank you for not only taking a moment to let us know how we’re doing but also for the kind words. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed our bright and airy guest rooms. They are indeed spacious and filled with amenities, including our market-leading oversized bathrooms. Complete with separate showers and soaking tubs, our bathrooms are just one of the extraordinary amenities we love offering to our guests. Again, thank you for your review; please do come back and see us again soon!
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For the price I paid (using priceline) I thought this hotel was great. The room was a bit small but clean and modern. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was large and nice with a tile shower with glass door and separate soaking tub. The a/c in the room worked very well. Our room overlooked the pool with a good view of the Lenox mall and Stone Mountain in the distance. The subway stop is close as is the mall (Lenox and Phipps plaza). Buckhead is a nice area although not as convenient to most of the tourist spots as a hotel in downtown would be. Self parking is pricey, but it's convenient. We never had trouble finding a spot. Check in and out were quick, and the employees were all nice.

We were out of our room most of the day and disappointed to see that housekeeping never cleaned up our room. They finally did come by in the evening and just asked if we needed anything. It seemed rude to ask them to come in and clean while I'm there so we just got towels even though I would have rather had them make the bed, empty trash, etc.

I like that the doors all have doorbells so you aren't constantly bothered by neighbors knocking on other doors. This hotel has a lot of rooms, but the floors are arranged so that there aren't long, straight halls of room after room. This means that there's not a lot of hallway noise outside the rooms.

Complaints: There was lipstick on a coffee mug by the coffee maker so I'm not sure how clean those are. I prefer when there are disposable, wrapped cups. Also, I like having a fridge where I can keep a drink or two cold. Usually we can remove items from the mini bar and use the fridge during our stay, but this one had sensors that charge you for things as soon as you remove them. The toilet tilted if you didn't sit flat and straight on it. It definitely wasn't bolted to the floor well. Also, the hairdryer was a small, cheap one that you plug in yourself and could be better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello and greetings from Atlanta, indigo9. Thank you so much for your oh-so-kind review! As you mentioned, we're located in a super convenient location just steps from the region's best shopping, dining, and nightlife. Care for a little retail therapy? Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are both just a hop, skip, and a jump away. Looking to indulge in a little regional cuisine? I would suggest Southern Art (located right here in our lobby), but other wonderful options are just steps away. And, for the night owls, there are endless, diverse nightlife options within the area. So, whatever your desires or interests may be, Buckhead has you covered! Thank you again for your flattering review; we're looking forward to welcoming you back again soon. Safe travels.