“one of the finest”

InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta
Ranked #18 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta is an excellent hotel. The property is in excellent condition, the staff are extraordinarily gracious and helpful, and the location is central in Buckhead. I travel a great deal and stay at many hotels. This one would be one of the finest in the US.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,900)

Reviewed 7 July 2009

We spent the night of the 4th of July at the IC to celebrate our anniversary. We selected a package that included a room with a view of the Lenox Square fireworks, parking and buffet breakfast for $159. Having never been inside the hotel we were so pleased with how beautiful it was, and the room was as nice as the 4S Midtown. Great creature comforts and newly decorated. And very quiet even though the hotel seemed very busy with lots of families. Nice staff all over the hotel from check in to check out. Had a light supper in the french restaurant on site that was just okay, but the breakfast buffet there was quite good.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I normally stay at the Westin Buckhead and love it but I have been meaning to try the Intercontinental based on rave reviews from friends and from other traveller reviews. I paid $86 through a discounted website but had I paid the full room price, it would not have been worth it.

The lobby is beautiful and I love the dome ceiling. Everything is clean and nice and since it was the 4th of July weekend it was very busy. I checked in at 3:30 and was told the room was not ready due to 100% occupancy the night before. I was slightly irritated but went to sit with my luggage in the lobby. We saw other couples that went right up to their rooms (guess their housekeepers were faster) and those that had to sit around and wait also. My impatience rose when my wait reached 30 minutes. At 4:05pm I walked to the very busy front desk that had a line of 10 people. When I reached the desk I told the desk rep that I had waited over 30 minutes and she looked my name up and "wallah" my room was ready. They were supposed to call me on my cell phone and I guess I'd have waited another 30 minutes had I not walked up to the front desk. Boo. She said my room had a lovely view of downtown.

Upon entering our room (522), the first slight disappointment was a room with double beds but it was a busy weekend. I didn't feel like dealing with any more drama. I raced to the window to see this lovely view and opened the curtains to see the Embassy Suites building with a partial view of downtown. I guess some would call it lovely.... But not one to be a complainer (lol), I said, it'll do, plus, we aren't staying in the room for the view anyways.

The bathroom was probably the only part of the room where I can say it's nicer than the Westin. There is a nice soaking tub and the decor was very nice. The shower was a glass walk in shower BUT the Westin's double shower head has Intercontinental beat. AND the Westin has shower gel, not just shampoo and conditioner (or maybe that was Marriott... I forget).

I still say this hotel is super nice but it doesn't knock my favorite out the water. I was expecting it to do so from the reviews from friends. But to each their own.

Intercontinental is a nice runner up.

Note: They allow dogs. I wish I had brought my Pomeranian. I saw 5 different dogs - small to mid-sized.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Stayed 2 nights on club level. Excellent Buckead location convenient to many restaurants and both Lenox and Phipps. Hotel has nice Escalade ESV that is complimentary for travel within 2 miles. Room was a standard two bed as we had children. Bathroom is nice with marble, soaking tub , and separate shower. Very nice UK amenities. Club compared favorably to most I have seen with the only exception being Ritz. As far as the hotel, I believe it currently measure up favorably to both Atlanta RCs and very comparable to Four Seasons, just newer. Pool is fairly small for propoerty of this size, but outdoor location makes it a nice options as many hotels in this category have indoor pools in Atlanta. Bar is nice as is the French restaurant on-site, which is open 24 hours per day. My wife enjoyed the spa. Overall service is on par with most RCs I have stayed in, probably only slightly below Four Seasons. I will stay here again when in the Buckhead area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I stayed with my wife at the InterContinental Buckhead for a romantic getaway weekend. We had a great time. The hotel was perfect in every way.

We got the room for $70 per night on priceline.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My experience at the Intercontinental supported it's great rating. The property is very elegantly decorated and the staff is top quality. The lobby, bar and common areas are very classic, yet modern and inviting. The pool deck is very large and features outdoor bar service.

The gym is well equipped with a variety of exercise and cardio machines, free weights and spa water.

The rooms are nicely decorated with flat screen TVs, and work space. The bathrooms are opulent with a separate shower and sit in tub.

Overall this is a very nice property close to shopping, restaurants and night life.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The hotel in all honesty is good but they charge for everything, Internet $6.95/ hr or $12.95/day, parking is $7.00 /hr or $ 20.00 a day....and items in the fridge are computerized, remove anything from fridge and you pay whether or not you consume them plus there is no microwave....needless to say it started out like a good deal but the end bill after four days was more than i had hoped for. If my company was paying or someone else for that matter it would have been excellent....beware of the little charges....they add up un-believably

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple