“Excellent base”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cardiff,Wales
“Excellent base”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This hotel is in Buckhead which is an up market suberb of Atlanta.Having spent 3 days in Atlanta I was very pleased that we chose to stay in this part of the city rather than downtown or midtown. The hotel was very convenient for the Atlanta History Centre and the excellent Lennox Square shopping mall and it only took 10 or 15 minutes to get to down town or to Turner Field.

This was our first stop on our arrival from the UK.I had booked two standard rooms, one for us and the other for our 3 teenagers. I didn't mind if they were not next door to us as long as we were on the same floor. Nevertheless the very helpful and pleasant receptionist gave us 2 large interconnecting rooms which ended up feeling like a large suite that had masses of room for all of our luggae. The rooms were beautifully appointed and housekeeeping standards were high. Our room with a king bed was great but if I was being very very picky then I would say that the other room which had 2 queens did not have a lot of spare space.

We had room service for supper and this was very good. The public areas are light airy and relaxing. Although this is probably more of a business rather than leisure hotel the outdoor pool is quite large and there are plenty of loungers around it. We had an excellent breakfast in the dining room where the service was very good. The decor in the dining room is quite individualistic but this doesn't detract from the quality of the food and service. We spent 2 nights here and then moved to the Wyndham Wingate which was half the price but nowhere near as good.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding night. We were upgraded to the top floor with access to the club lounge at no charge(for no reason, since we don't have status or they didn't know it was a special occasion). The room was nice, but I wished they had flat screen televisions. The bed could have been more comfortable too, we are used to sleeping on a memory foam mattress, so it was a little firm for us. We both had backaches the next morning. One thing we noticed is that when we would leave and come back, the room would not be very cool, but then we discovered that the thermostat had a motion sensor, so it only cooled when people were in the room. Some other people have mentioned the towels being thin, and I have to agree with that. They were very thin and not soft at all. We booked a shopping package, which got us a room for $199 for the night, and included a $100 AMEX giftcard, free self-parking($20 value) and free breakfast at the hotel restaurant($52 value). That was a pretty good deal! Self-parking was easy, we parked really close to the elevator the whole stay. The breakfast buffet was really good too, they had excellent service. We visited the club lounge for the evening service, but just got sodas. They had wine, beer, and other drinks too.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Marietta, Ga. USA
Reviewed 4 August 2009

What you likely don't notice is the "NONREFUNDABLE" part of the pet deposit to the tune of $100. It's in very small writing, cleverly hidden on the webpage. The point of a deposit is so that the provider will be compensated IF there is any damage done to the room. My 5 lb Chihuahua couldn't have done $100 worth of damage if he tried. The manager, Drew, was obtuse and absolutely NO help, even though I am a frequent customer. I will never give them my business again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta from July 31st to August 2nd 2009. I am a Platinum Ambassador Member and received an upgrade to the 22nd Floor of the hotel facing the rear. I was not impress with valet parking (especially for $30.00 a night). Valet is slow and they are not always welcoming to come up to your car door and open it for you. We stayed on a club level room and the club was nice, but not great compared to the Ritz Carlton club floors. They offer no wine, beer, liquor, or champagne during their lunch hour. During cocktail hour all of the alcohol is secured behind the door and you have to ask if you want champagne or a cocktail. This is very different from the Ritz Carlton club level were everything is out for the guests. The room 2217 was nothing spectacular, very small compared to the Ritz Carlton club rooms and the Four Seasons. The pool outside was nice. I did go to the spa and received the Relaxation Package, which was okay. I received a better massage elsewhere before. All-in-all I would go back again if I was using my free weekend stay gift certificate that I get every year for being a member. I think it is worth the membership (only $150) for this reason and for others (upgraded room, free wireless access, water and fruit, priority points, and early check-in and late check-out).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 22 July 2009

From the driveway into our room we were blown away. The staff inside and out could not have tried harder or been more helpful.
After staying in many of the hotels in the are ( Grand Hyatt, Westin, W) we found the perfect fit here. The hotel is lovely and beyond comfortable . The rooms are large and well appointed , you don't see sterling silver vases in just any hotel rooms.
The crowing glory as far as I was concern was the staff . The entire place is filled with kind and helpful people. I saw only genuine smiles everywhere I went.
We met a wonderful asset to the hotel and that was a young man named Eli who was wearing a number of hats that week. Being from Atlanta Eli could be truly useful.
Noting but positive things to say about this hotel. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta is an excellent hotel. The property is in excellent condition, the staff are extraordinarily gracious and helpful, and the location is central in Buckhead. I travel a great deal and stay at many hotels. This one would be one of the finest in the US.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
North GA
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We spent the night of the 4th of July at the IC to celebrate our anniversary. We selected a package that included a room with a view of the Lenox Square fireworks, parking and buffet breakfast for $159. Having never been inside the hotel we were so pleased with how beautiful it was, and the room was as nice as the 4S Midtown. Great creature comforts and newly decorated. And very quiet even though the hotel seemed very busy with lots of families. Nice staff all over the hotel from check in to check out. Had a light supper in the french restaurant on site that was just okay, but the breakfast buffet there was quite good.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple