“Very Rude Security Guards”

Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Ranked #40 of 286 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The museum features a display on the history of money; interactive, multimedia exhibits explaining the Federal Reserve's role in the economy; and a view of the bank's automated vault and cash processing areas. In addition, most group tours include a stop in the bank's boardroom. A tour of the museum provides in-depth lessons on the role of the Federal Reserve in the U.S. economy. Then, you can take a look inside our cash-processing operations, where millions of dollars are counted, sorted, or shredded daily. You'll also get a glimpse into the bank's automated vault and see the robotic transports that do the heavy lifting.
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Very Rude Security Guards”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My sister and I agreed to meet at the bank for a tour. We were both visiting Atlanta with our families. My sister arrived first and had checked in and was waiting in the lobby for us. When I walked in, I stopped at the front rope to see if my sister had arrived. There was no one behind me. The security guard at the front desk yelled across the room for me to go the other way. Mind you, I did not walk in the direction of my sister, I simply stopped and looked over my shoulder. This is a very large building and the echo was very loud. I guess that once you walk in you cannot stop until you get to the check in point. After we checked in my sister was upset. It seemed that another security guard at the check in point yelled at her because she asked if she needed to put her phone in the basket. They got into a little bit of an argument. The poor employee in the lobby waiting for all her tour to arrive seemed to be embarrassed by her co-workers behavior and tried her best to make it up to us. I can understand this is a bank, but it is locked down tight. The rudeness was unnecessary. After getting passed these two rude employees, the rest of the tour was short but really cool. It is amazing to see millions of dollars being handled by both people and robots. There are interactive games that are very educational. You get a bag of the old money they shred as a souvenir. Admission is free. Maybe that is why those employees were so rude. If you go please be aware that you cannot take anything in past the lobby. The screening in this place is worse then the airport. They do provide free lockers for your things, just make sure you stay in line or the guards there will yell at you.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Beckyone

• Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“It's a building.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Really? It's a relatively new granite building. You really can't visit it anyways. Find something better to do with your time.

Visited July 2013
Cary, North Carolina
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A lot of fun learning - watch the money go by.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The facility in interesting - from the armed guards that meet you when you go in - to the armed K9 patrol that walks around the block making sure that all is safe.

The entire museum was interesting - with museum pieces of old money - wampum, bills, coins, all kinds of things. there were several exhibits that explained how loans work - from the consumers point and from the banks point and from the small business owners points.

Then you get to go watch them count the money. There are robotics that move the money around from delivery to processing to storage.....and dont forget to get your shredded money on the way out. Authentic.

Even our 10 year olds liked it.

6 Thank momma_christa
San Diego, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Neat place to visit”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta was something that we weren't originally planning on doing during our trip to Atlanta, but we're glad that we stopped in. The exhibits are educational and fun, and watching the robots move the money from place to place was neat to watch. You aren't allowed to have any sort of pack in the building, but they provide lockers free of charge for you to use. If you have in interest in money, want happens to it, how it's stored, etc., I would definitely recommend this place.

3 Thank gilestraveler15
Sunnyvale, CA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“No Pictures Allowed”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Amazing views of workers bundling millions of dollars, and robot carts moving it to the safe. Must go through security like the airport. I had to leave a paring knive from my picnic outside in the bushes

1 Thank paupaubean