“Somewhat interesting”

Ranked #42 of 290 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The museum features a display on the history of money; interactive, multimedia exhibits explaining the Federal Reserve's role in the economy; and a view of the bank's automated vault and cash processing areas. In addition, most group tours include a stop in the bank's boardroom. A tour of the museum provides in-depth lessons on the role of the Federal Reserve in the U.S. economy. Then, you can take a look inside our cash-processing operations, where millions of dollars are counted, sorted, or shredded daily. You'll also get a glimpse into the bank's automated vault and see the robotic transports that do the heavy lifting.
Toronto, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Somewhat interesting”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Nothing exceptional here.
The building itself is imposing and worth going around.
Check the times of visit and limitations if you want to get inside.
Overall, it's good if you have a bit of time on your hands or if it's raining.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Oceanik

• Indonesian first
northern california
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Interesting and free”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

This is an interesting self guided tour ow how our monetary system works and the history of currency through the ages. There is no photography allowed and all cameras and phones with cameras must be stored in a free locker. There are several interactive exhibits and you can learn a great deal. They have bags of shredded currency that you can take as a souvenir. Well worth a stop.

3 Thank barrythewombat
Lousiville, KY
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Interesting, Informative”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I stumbled upon the Federal Reserve Bank. They have a free tour. It is well worth seeing. It is right across the street from the Margaret Mitchell House.

1 Thank Card2inal
AvidTraveler57
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Interesting/Short Adventure”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stopped in while in the downtown area of Atlanta, and after going through security, placed my purse in a free provided locker.

Free museum is self-guided and interesting to see actual currency from many years ago or forms they used to barter with. There are 2 films near the end of the museum you can watch which we found interesting.

On the way out, you can take free postcards and free shredded money. I asked the armed guard if I could take multiple packets of money for my niece's classroom for the upcoming school year, and she was very pleasant and said most definitely yes.

No picture taking is allowed in the museum. If in the area & you have time, interesting to see the money process.

1 Thank AvidTraveler57
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Very Rude Security Guards”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My sister and I agreed to meet at the bank for a tour. We were both visiting Atlanta with our families. My sister arrived first and had checked in and was waiting in the lobby for us. When I walked in, I stopped at the front rope to see if my sister had arrived. There was no one behind me. The security guard at the front desk yelled across the room for me to go the other way. Mind you, I did not walk in the direction of my sister, I simply stopped and looked over my shoulder. This is a very large building and the echo was very loud. I guess that once you walk in you cannot stop until you get to the check in point. After we checked in my sister was upset. It seemed that another security guard at the check in point yelled at her because she asked if she needed to put her phone in the basket. They got into a little bit of an argument. The poor employee in the lobby waiting for all her tour to arrive seemed to be embarrassed by her co-workers behavior and tried her best to make it up to us. I can understand this is a bank, but it is locked down tight. The rudeness was unnecessary. After getting passed these two rude employees, the rest of the tour was short but really cool. It is amazing to see millions of dollars being handled by both people and robots. There are interactive games that are very educational. You get a bag of the old money they shred as a souvenir. Admission is free. Maybe that is why those employees were so rude. If you go please be aware that you cannot take anything in past the lobby. The screening in this place is worse then the airport. They do provide free lockers for your things, just make sure you stay in line or the guards there will yell at you.

3 Thank Beckyone

Been to Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta? Share your experiences!