“Great boutique hotel”

Ranked #52 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
San Rafael, California
“Great boutique hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Nice boutique hotel, friendly staff, cozy rooms and great bar and restaurant

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
Rochester
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I arrived and was greeted warmly. Everyone was very helpful. My room was small but trendy. I pulled back the comforter on the bed and noticed a very big stain on it. They were happy to change this for me. I didn't notice any places close by to eat, btu there is a metro stop across from the hotel. You have to use your room key to use the elevator - my husband forgot his and was waiting for me to come down with my key - he was in the lobby and staff asked him to remove his baseball cap. We both felt this was unnceessary. They do have a nice business center with free espresso and internet. The hotel was okay but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kab3164
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed for a night in one of their mini suites for our anniversary. Here are some pros and cons:

PROS:
- Very stylish and modern design. I thought everything was very clean. There's a slight fragrance in the room also which I love.
- The minibar is fully stocked with all kinds of wine, liquor and snacks, and they even provide you with shakers and martini glasses. You can make simple cocktails in your room. Not that I used them but it is a nice touch.
- Love the rooftop bar at night. It is very romantic and the view is great, and everyone dresses up nicely. It almost feel like New York. We don't live in downtown Atlanta so it is nice to have a place like that to hang out in.
- Free WIFI internet :)

CONS:
- The check-in time is 3pm, but we had to wait in the lobby until 3:20 for our room to be ready. You would think they usually get ready a bit earlier before 3 but it is not the case for Glenn.

- It gets VERY NOISY at night. The windows don't seal noises at all and police car / fire truck sirens go around the block many times (it is not a very safe neighborhood). You can almost hear the conversations coming from the streets until 3 or 4am. Everything starts to quiet down at 4-ish and finally I got to sleep at 5. If you party out late this probably wouldn't bother you at all, but we are the type that goes to bed at midnight/1am and we can not go to sleep.

- I am not sure if this happens to other room too (our room was 508), but the water from the glass shower drips occassionally throughout the night. It happens when someone else in another room uses their shower, then you'll hear water coming down from our shower, hitting the ground very loudly. Since there is not a door that encloses the bathroom and the bed is right next to it, there is no way to stop the noise and it makes it even harder to fall asleep at night. This seem to only happen at around 1-3am.

- Valet was $25 @ night I think. When we retrieve our car for dinner in the evening, we literally waited at least 15 minutes for it. They parked our car in another location which I believe they drove another car out to retrieve our car, but still I think they should have been able to get our car quicker than that. When we checked out our car was pulled up right away though so it may be only 1 single incident.

- Other minor details: The sheets doesn't feel clean... usually clean quality sheets feels a bit harder but these you felt that someone's slept on it several times before. Also be careful with the key card and don't place it too close to your cellphone because they go out of order quick. The receptionists were helpful to fix the problem quickly though.

Overall, I loved my stay and it really made our anniversary memorable, except if I could actually sleep at night then it would have been perfect. I love all the amenities but since I had a hard time with the noise at night I doubt I will ever go back again..... I can see you can host really wonderful events on the rooftop at night though.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IreneATL
virgo467
Reviewed 30 June 2009

From the moment I walked in the door there were nice and courteous employees there to greet you and provide the best service I experienced in a long time.
I really like the room the decor it was not your usual white and ivory hotel room colors that is why I liked it. The room was a little small but for a historic hotel you really can't do much about that.

Very centrally located the CNN, Olympic Park, World of Coke and the Aquariam is all in walking distance. If you do no mind walking about a mile you can also walk two the Martiin Luther King Jr Memorial Park.

THE FOOD IN THE RESURANT 30 TABLES WAS JUST FABOULUS !!!!
We did not want to eat any where else.

Overall if you do not mind looking outside of the box of your "normal" hotel room this boutique hotel is a gem

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
alabama
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The Glenn is a beautiful hotel located right near Philips Arena and the Georgia Dome. It was somewhat expensive but the location and amenities were worth. The roof top bar was closed which was rather disappointing. The beds were AMAZING!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Savannah
Reviewed 29 June 2009

This was my 2nd stay at the Glenn in 3 months and was more impressive than the first. Make no mistake, I'm easy to please but choosy where I snoozy and I cannot say enough about this place for a traveler who wants style, comfort and has a down-to-earth budget. First of all, no trendy Atlanta attitudes like you find in comparable hotels like the W Hotels of the world. You really feel like you're being related to and that their real people glad to have you there. I must confess my love for Southern Hospitality and find that Atlanta is either to trendy or too busy with itself to recollect this aspect of the Old South in itself less these special bastions. It is not lost here. Upon arriving, the bellhop recognized me from 3 months prior with a big smile and in no time, both he and the valet jumped to accommodating me. One of the first things that bodes well for the whole style and experience of the Glenn are the giant, almost Claes Oldenburg styled flower pots that adorn the driveway into the parking garage. They not only make for an unmistakable landmark with the words "Glenn Hotel" emblazoned on them, but they're one's first clue that your in for something out of the ordinary. Check in isn't overwhelming. No barren, standoffish front desk, but a quaint simple counter that resembles the rest of the place in terms of its human, or rather, "humanity" scale. There is a very nice bar, lounge and restaurant which I've yet to experience but from their design stand point, they're fashionable like the rest of the place, but decidedly unpretentious. One gets the feeling you can be there and relax and enjoy yourself without too many of the needing to be seen trappings. We'll call it hip to be mature. One of the "cooler" things to me in this vintage dated building are the elevators. For those that are safety conscious, it is impossible to ride the elevators without your room keycard and yet its a zip to do. On a personal note, I like the fact that the hallway floors are edged with potted organic grass. A smart design note as the halls of this elder Atlanta office building are narrow and so it brings some unexpected zing and life into them. One is even inclined to reach down and brush the grass now and then just to feel its friendly fibers. Some might take this touch for granted but how can one not feel like this greenery is a touch of one's home walkway? Very welcoming indeed. Ah, but the rooms. Permit me to say immediately for those lacking the attention span to complete my written homage to this place, but anywhere else, even in smaller markets, for the amenities that one receives in a queen room, this would set you back $250 - 300 or more per night. So at $139 or $159 with tax, you cannot beat this price in Atlanta or anywhere else for what you receive. Like everything else, the room's design and thoughtfulness are there and with a surplus. Praising which virtue first leaves me torn. Is it the two luxury Egyptian cotton bathrobes, or the mini-bar complete with gummy bears? Yes, and not just any old gummy bears in a packet, but inside of a gummy bear shaped jar? H-E-L-L-O? Gummy bear fans? Indeed. Kudos on the gummy candy. Okay, back to the mini-bar momentarily. Each room comes complete with a giant flat screen tv and the wi-fi is extremely easy to log into and utilize. There is an in-room safe that appears to be fireproof but is as hearty as an in-room hotel safe can be. I thought it incredible that the wall office desk was roomy, comfortable and came complete with one of those $400 adjustable office chairs? Not a chincy chair by any means and very considerate of who might be using it. Again that consciousness thing that these hoteliers are so good at doing. The lighting alone deserves some kind of award. Both lamps on each side of the bed, along with the bathroom lighting, is very well placed and friendly. The bedside lamps themselves were to me very chic and design perfect for the space. The bed itself was astounding in every way a bed can be and were spare no expense in terms of sheets, pillow casing, comforters, etc. The kind of bed that made you feel at home and didn't want to take leave. I'm a geek for the curtain structure of these rooms too. The fabric and drapery mechanism was unexpected and cool and when adjusting them you truly feel that you're involved in a prolific activity that is party to celebrating the space your now in. Sheer benevolence. So to the bathroom. How about corner toilets that are actually angled to fit into the corner? No small feat and extremely affable. I loved another reviewers use of "peek-a-boo" showers. Hah! So true! Situated so that anyone lying in the bed has their own shower show of their partner is a total tease! And although they're slightly fogged (or so I seem to recall), they're not for the modest. But are done in a way that's just respectfully playful. I loved having two adjustable shower heads that are aimed to accommodate different tastes or for varied flavors of pampering. I might add that the provided wax paper wrapped circular soaps and shampoos and conditioners are top boutique quality and I made off with them. Not my usual mode but they'd be expensive to buy outside of the place. The sink, other fixtures and mirrors are ultra sleek and efficient and one can never complain to this place about not having enough towels. Its like they knew the towel snobs were coming and so they've got you more than covered. Okay, but let me finish on the mini-bar. Its basically a tower of goodies and coolness. The first floor is the fridge and not enough can be said about it. Stocked throughout with bottled, reiterating, bottled Coke & Diet Cokes. Heineken beer in those nifty cans, orange juices, Sprite, V8, and every other incarnation you can think of in terms of whisky, bourbons and more. Trust me, when you gander inside of one, you'll understand the effort they went to and go to every day to keep this specialty shop in order. 2nd floor of the mini-bar is a great coffeemaker with gourmet coffees and lovely ceramic mugs with an architectural print of their hotel on each (I want one!). 3rd floor is where I stepped off and spent the most. We forementioned the gummy bears. Two other jars full of wrapped, mini-Snickers and some other candy that escapes me. Other packs of Oreo, Toblerone, quality trail mix bars, fruit bars, peanut butter & crackers and topped off by 3 varieties of Banana Moon cans of honey roasted peanuts, spicy oriental mix and one more that eludes me. But yes, its basically a higher end vending machine right in your room! I blew $20 there in no time so fair warning but not overly expensive either and I was gladly surprised by this. A hotel not trying to take you to the bank while you're in your weakest munchie moments is to be praised! The upper floors of the mini-bar are for the more regal players. I liked the fact that they had vintage looking cocktail shakers and shaker glasses along with what I'll term a 3/4 bottle of Grey Goose or Belvedere Vodka. The mini-bar was just one more element that prompted the thought, "I'm getting all of this for my money?" How often does one feel like that in our world anymore? I truly felt blessed and rewarded for my stay and am eager for many returns and hope I've encouraged many of you to take advantage of such a great stay opportunity. The hotel is a stone's throw from Phillips Arena, CNN Center, Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Park, Underground Atlanta and a ton of things central to people's visits making it all the more of a total ace.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank SixthSenseSavannah
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My wife and I decided to spend a romantic evening away from the kids. We went on priceline and bid for a 4 star hotel; we really wanted Buckhead but ended up downtown; never head of the Glenn before. Long story short - this is no 4 star hotel; we upgraded to a suite; I would hate to see the regular room; our closet at home was bigger. Room was dirty; dog hair on the couch; extremely noisy on the 8th floor; you can hear everything out on the street. decor was a reject from the 70's; orange curtains, orange shades and white walls; shower was in middle of room with all glass; whole thing was very sleazy. Long story short, we stayed for 20 mins and drove back home to sleep in our own bed; very disappointing and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple