“Rock and roll in Atlanta”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #80 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
“Rock and roll in Atlanta”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Spent the weekend of May 14, 2011 at this Comfort Suites in Atlanta, Georgia. This hotel is located on West Peachtree Street in the lower part of downtown Atlanta. My wife and I have stayed at the Quality Inn on Luckie Street many times and wanted to give this place a try. When we pulled into the suites, we instantly recognized it as a former City Suites that we stayed at several years ago. It is located next to underground Atlanta and the Marta station. BE WARNED; This area is very busy and has some unsavory characters floating around the streets near the hotel. This would be the only negative that we experienced during our one night stay.
Our room included a jacuzzi tub with shower and a separate bedroom (room 1205). Looking out the window you can see CNN and the Philips Arena just several blocks away.
Since there is no parking available in the area, we payed for valet parking and were extremely happy with the choice. The guys who do the parking are hardworking individuals and were always laughing and cutting up.
We had no problems with the hotel staff. They were very curteous and friendly despite some mouthy guests complaining about things.

Room Tip: Book early and use the discount rate if available
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The hotel was nice but the neighborhood sucks... keep you pocket book close to you chest and the panhandling is the WORSE!!!

The customer services was great the morning breakfast was a nice also...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
dsmith8600, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you for your comments. I would like to specifically thank you for taking the time to respond to your most recent stay with us, it is important that we know what your experiences are so that we may translate them to all of the parties that affect our surrounding area. With that being said, I would like to apologize if the urban area was offesive in any way.

We are a "downtown" hotel and Atlanta being the largest major city in the Southeast sometimes the "GREAT" can be over-shadowed by the not so good. I hope that you allow us (the hotel) the opportunity to be your destination in the future, as we are working with multiple outlets to continue to deliver "excellent" service to you and your guests.

Thank you again for your comments, I will constructively apply your kind words to our future actions.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Very bad location. No self parking, valet is $18/night, and my phone charger (the only thing I left in the car) went missing overnight. Hotel staff very unfriendly. Worst of all, when I reviewed my credit card statement I noticed they had charged me for an extra night, then wouldn't return my calls. I generally think Comfort Suites are decent hotels and priced reasonably, but this one was BAD!

Room Tip: No somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

First I would like to say that "I am sorry for the issues that you experienced in connection with your stay with us". I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at our hands and would like to encourage you to reach out to me directly in regard to this issue. I believe that we have resolved this, but I would ask that you allow me to address it further.

Sometimes we have to just accept that things slip through the cracks, and it is obvious that we did not do the best job possible based on your comments. This is not a consistent theme at our property but every impression is important, hence my reply. My team of professionals are dedicated to creating memorable moments daily, with every guest, and when we do not meet that expectation we have not successfully fulfilled our obligations as "servants".

I ask that you allow us an opportunity to correct things with your next stay and I encourage you to reach out to me personally so that I your comments are addressed. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your guests and I hope that you allow us the chance to make it right in the future.

Comfort Suites Atlanta Dowtown
E-mail: gm.ga517@choicehotels.com
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We booked the room under the assumption that it was close enough to walk to the aquarium, world of coca-cola and restaurants. However, when we arrived we were shocked to see that right around the corner was the "recovery center" and down the block was the court house which made for an extremely uncomfortable environment. We did not feel safe enough to stand outside and wait for our car, let alone walk the 15 minutes to sight see and dine. YOU MUST VALET your car, which at $18 a night is reasonable but they only have 1-2 valets and the parking garage is a couple blocks away, which led to us waiting around A LOT for our car. You can't call down and request that your vehicle be retrieved for you 10-15 minutes ahead of time because there is only 1 person at the desk and they cannot leave to ask one of the valet to grab your car and there isn't a direct line to the valet so you are pretty much left waiting on the curb in an unsafe neighborhood. As for the front desk service we were not greeted when we walked up to the desk and the man was out of sorts because he had been locked out of the computer and couldn't log back in, so he photo copied the credit card and license and then just folded it up on the desk which we later retrieved because we felt as though it wasn't handled properly. There are ONLY 2 elevators for the hotel so expect to waiting for atleast 5 minutes for one, maybe 10 minutes for an empty one. The rooms were clean and they are newer and modern and up to date. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were great. Breakfast was hot and there was a variety of options and several juices, coffees and teas to choose from. Overall I would not recommend this hotel... While it is clean and the breakfast was good, the bad service, unsafe neighborhood and the lack of valet workers just wasn't worth saving $30 a night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
dsmith8600, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Thank you for your response. I am in reciept of your comments and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. I would like to reply by category so that I don't miss any of the important elements of your comment.

- Valet, due to the location of the property we do offer valet parking, but it is not "mandatory". We can and will offer additional options for travelers/guests that would like to self-park. Our valet option is more economical, and in the interest of the guest it is our first recommendation but it is never a requirment, and I apologize if the attendant implied that it was.

- The desk clerk situation (credit card copying); this is not something that we train nor promote regardless of the technical issue. I have personally addressed this matter with my team and this will never happen again. Also, I completely understand the concern that you would have regarding your personal information and you had every right to recover this information. This was a situation that was mishandled by our desk team and it was an obvious displeaser.

- Outside (immediate hotel area); I am very aware of our location and unfortunately in any "inner city" location you will have (a.) constant flow of foot traffic, and (b.) the occasional undesirable element. The geography of our hotel is a daily civic topic, but we do provide uniformed security and have an outstanding working relationship with the Atlanta Police Department which is dedicated to creating a "feeling" of saftey and security for visitors and locals.

In addtion, the immediate area around the hotel and city streets are safe. We have both Federal, State and City offices in addition to Atlnata's Ambassador Force that patrol our area and blanket Atlanta's Downtown. I have read guest reviews and I know the general area may appear busy with people walking from one destination to another, but this is exactly what it is. Most of our traffic is just traffic, the people that occupy our immediate area are generally commuting to or from a destination, and have proven to be cordial and often times pretty nice. The stigma attached to urban areas such as ours is unfortunate but I respect the opinion of the guest and after all this site is a sounding board for personal experiences. New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Boston, and Washington, DC are all major cities and Atlanta is still one of the safest cities among them.

I appreciate the comment about the rooms, and the breakfast and we will continue to work with the exterior elements of our property to improve them so that every hotel guest has a "safe and comfortable" stay.

Daymain Smith
Comfort Suites Atlanta
Manchester NJ
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Although the hotel itself was quaint, the location is absolutely dangerous. Upon arrival at night, the main road was lined with thug looking men standing guard about 10 ft apart on both sides the the street. The next morning the Underground was not much better. Again the thugs were standing guard outside the restrooms not allowing anyone in.
Since our car was valet parked two blocks away, we left 3 pieces of luggage with the valet service while we checked out the Underground. When we were ready to leave, they retrieved our vehicle. We have a large stroller that is a challenge to fit in the car so my husband tipped two of the valets very well to help us pack our vehicle. Even though he asked if we had all three pieces, our garment bag was left behind. I called and they said they had it and would send it to our home. After a week, called again, told yes they have it but it was never sent. Finally spoke with the manager Damien Smith. His story was it was found outside. What a lie! Our car was backed up to the front door and after using the hotel restrooms, we both walked completely around our car. We would have tripped over it. Damien gave me his word he would send it. Two weeks later, called again and was told "I don't see it, therefore it was sent." Damien was on vacation and the other manager refused to call me back. We finally called Comfort Inn Corporate and lodged a complaint. They had 72 hrs. to respond. They did not. Called Corporate again, and this time they called the local hotel. It was confirmed that they had shipped our luggage but it was returned due to an incorrect address (yeah right). Corporate gave them the correct address and told them to mail it again. Three weeks later and still not returned.
Whatever you do, DO NOT stay at this hotel. Damien Smith and his staff are a bunch of liars and all need to be fired. They have even lied to and ignored the Corporate office. Based on other posts, I am sure Damien will respond with his spin on things. Just remember, CORPORATE told him to send me my luggage and he has REFUSED! They have lost my business forever!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
In replying to this comment, I would like to first thank the guest for their comment. This is not a easy explanation and at this point the ownership of the issue is in my opinion the only responsible thing that can be done.

The ball was dropped, and my team and myself are the responsible parties. This issue is being investigated and, eventhough my word has been questioned, I offer assurance that this issue will be handled today 100%.

I would like to offer my apologies to the guest and their family for the articles that were not returned and for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Daymain Smith
Wellington
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We had never been to Atlanta before, so we weren't sure where to stay in order to walk to the Georgia Aquarium and World of Coke. This hotel is very close and easy walking distance BUT I WOULD NEVER WALK OUTSIDE OF THIS HOTEL. It is right next to "Underground Atlanta" and a bus station. There are people swarming everywhere and I honestly feared for my safety if I stepped outside of the hotel. You had to valet park but there was never a valet person around to take the ticket! I was so surprised by the awful location when we first pulled up to the hotel that I looked at the man taking my car for valet and asked "where do you park my car at night and are you sure it will be safe??" You will wait at least 5-10 minutes for an elevator in the morning when everyone is heading out, and the walls are paper thin. On a good note, the rooms are very clean and spacious.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
I would like to thank you for your comments about our hotel rooms, and I hope that the service we provided met and/or exceeded your expectations. We are working tirelessly in efforts to influence the community around us in every aspect. The hotel is located in a high traffic-urban area so therefore often times it looks alot busier than it truly is. I assure you that the local enviornment is reasonably consistent with other major metropolitian cities of similar size or larger.

We offer 24 hour security, 24 hour staffing, 24 hour valet parking service and 16 hours of compimentary shuttle (within 2.0 miles) service daily. These amenities and services are here for the guest use and are offered as an alternative for guests who are not frequent travelers or unfamiliar with the Downtown Atlanta area. We are a service focused hotel with a staff of professionals dedicated to serving the needs of every guest in a personal manner.

I encourage you to allow us another opportunity to serve you and not allow distracting factors to dissuade you from visiting our fair city and our beautiful hotel!

E-mail: gm.ga517@choicehotels.com
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 25 April 2011

When I arrived at the hotel the area was VERY scary. Do NOT plan on walking around at night. There was a man harassing a woman, screaming at her and ultimately overturned a newspaper dispenser. I also was a witness to a fight between two belligerent men right outside the hotel. The bell man met me right at my cab door and quickly brought me into the hotel. My room was very nice and the employees of the hotel were great but the neighborhood really soured the experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
dsmith8600, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to respond to your comments above regarding the incidents that you witinessed during your stay. First off, I would like to thank you for your comments, often times we recieve comments that challenge us to look at ourselves and dig deeper as professionals to rise to the needs of our guests, this is one of those situations. We are located in a urban-downtown neighborhood and being so close to everything we also at times get the occasional unwanted occurance such as the aforementioned.

As thehotels General Manager it is my daily focus to provide the safest and cleanest hotel environment possible, and I want to apologize for what you witnessed, but at the same time assure you that this was and is a controlled incident and not the norm in our neighborhood. As with any large city you will have a equal mix of people and some personalities are stronger than others, that being said we have and will continue to provide 24 hour security and present a safe and clean accomodation for all guests patronizing our facility and the Downtown Atlanta market and sites of interest.

Thank you for your comments, and I appreciate you taking time to share your comments with us in an attempt to make us better.