“Great value, friendly hotel; but bed bugs and be careful leaving anything on display”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #83 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My husband and I had four very pleasant nights at the hotel, which is centrally located. It is in a pocket of downtown which is pretty rundown and the area was not very busy during our stay (Labor Day weekend), right by the Five Points MARTA and Atlanta Underground. We've lived in big cities most of our lives and we always felt safe walking to and from the hotel, but that was in part because there are always a couple of police cars hanging around -- good that they are there, bad that they need to be there.

The hotel itself was very well priced at the DragonCon rate of $129 per night, with very large rooms -- suites in fact: in suite 801 we had a decent lounge with TV, fridge, microwave and sofa (which folds out into a second bed). The bedroom was a decent size, with a second TV (HBO included), as was the bathroom. The bed seemed clean (see below), though the mattress was rather too soft. The hotel also good amenities: free wifi, plus a complimentary breakfast of the usual fare (waffles, muffins, cereal), run by two incredibly chirpy and friendly staff -- we loved them!

Now for the bad parts:

First, there were bed bugs. On our return home we noticed bed bug bites springing up everywhere. We have checked our own bedroom and apartment thoroughly (being understandably worried) and found nothing, so can only assume that they come from our stay at the Fairfield. Obviously, this has been a pretty annoying and disappointing thing to come home with.

Second, one evening we came back to the room and found that it hadn't been cleaned. No big deal, but the next morning we asked the front desk to make sure it did get cleaned that day. My husband left a pair of Apple earphones out before we left -- he specifically remembers placing them on his bedside table. On our return late that evening they were no longer there. We searched the room thoroughly (going through the sheets, looking under the bed, and through all of our bags). We never found them.

We had to check out in the morning and the front desk were helpful enough about it and helped search as well. However they promised to follow up with their manager and call us the next day, but then never did. We called them a week later and were told that: the earphones had not turned up, the hotel does not take responsibility for loss, and they would give us extra Marriott elite member points for my inconvenience. We know most hotels have similar policies and obviously we understand it's a risk to leave any valuables or personal items in the room. But we would have appreciated more proactive follow up from the hotel, and for the earphones to not have been "lost" in the first place.

Room Tip: Avoid 801 -- bed bugs!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank theakmeng
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Theakmeng,

Thank you and your husband for staying with us and thank you for writing a review about your experience.

We consistently seek and truly value all feedback (positive or negative) from guests so that we may fine tune our operations. The comments from our guests point out the issues where we need improvement, so that the next guest will not also encounter the same. I have read from your comments that you experienced some very serious issues during your stay and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly concerning these matters.

Please contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss this matter. I look forward to speaking with you and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Estill Springs, tn
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was the first time I had ever been out of town by myself. So I was understandable nervous. I was going to DragonCon and found that the awesome staff of the hotel made my experience much better. Natasha was really nice, the breakfast ladies let me have a breakfast even though I was late. The room was clean and comfortable. They even gave me the number to call the shuttle anytime I needed it. They made my first DragonCon so fantastic and I look forward to using them when I go next year. Thank you EVERYONE! Brooke F.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Greetings Brooke,

Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to your recent stay at our Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Atlanta Downtown. We all know traveling alone can be nerve wrecking and even downright scary so it’s wonderful to hear that you had such a pleasant experience at our hotel. DragonCon is one of favorite events every year and the staff even enjoys dressing like their favorite sci-fi characters.

The complimentary shuttle provided by the hotel is one of our guest favorite amenities only second to the deluxe breakfast and the free Wi-Fi.

Thank you again for your awesome feedback! Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit.
Franklin, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My mother, myself and my 20 year old son and 17 year old daughter stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend 2012. My kids went to Dragoncon and my mother and I were there just to have fun as tourists in Atlanta. I have to say this was a fantastic experience! The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I was concerned going into the city that people would be rude and in a hurry. I found this to be the opposite at this hotel. The front desk, especially Natasha, was very kind and helpful. She made sure we had everything we needed in our room. Also, the two breakfast ladies, Catherine and Latoya, were fantastic!!! They really seemed to enjoy their job, and even sang some to us at breakfast. They attended to our every need! A truly wonderful downtown Atlanta experience thanks to this hotel and the fantastic staff!!! Thank-you, Kristina L.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the North side, facing the fountain!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Greetings Kristin,

We are ecstatic to hear that your family had a wonderful experience at the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Atlanta Downtown. Labor Day weekend is one of our busiest times of year and one of the most enjoyable for the staff. We take pride in welcoming our DragonCon guest to Atlanta and we even look the part by dressing like our favorite sci-fi characters.

Our goal is to ensure every guest receives the highest level of customer service with a southern twist. We truly appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to share such kind words. With feedback like yours and our commitment to continuous improvement we will continue achieve our goal of 100% guest satisfaction. Our entire staff looks forward to your next visit to the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.
Chapel Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The Hotel and Valet staff are exceptional. Every person we ran into was helpful, cheery and really made you feel as though they were glad you chose to stay at their hotel. Just wonderful. Valet is pretty much mandatory, $25 a day, but the hotel is right across the street from MARTA (train/subway). We asked about the safety of the area as soon as we checked in (just like you would when visiting any large metropolitan area). We were given all of the safety tips, and walked up and down Peachtree with no problems. Just don't take a left out of the hotel onto Peachtree if you are walking and you will be A-OK. I definitely don't recommend hanging around outside much past dark though. Both my husband and I slept just terrible, but not because of noise or anything. We blame it on the bed, indeed. We couldn't find much to eat on a Sunday night within walking distance, but found a great pizza place a few blocks up. Overall, not the best overnight accomodations we have had, but certainly not the worst! 3 thumbs up for the staff though!

Room Tip: No Pool, no restaurant in the hotel. There is a lounge/bar though.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keri0704
Thank you for sharing your experience in regards to your recent stay at our Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Atlanta Downtown, Georgia. We consistently seek and truly value all feedback from guests so that we may fine tune our operations.

We are thankful to hear that the service you received from the staff was friendly, upbeat, and hospitable. Our team really takes pride in providing our guest with personalized service that’s make them feel at home during their staying.

There are a numerous dining options within walking distance of the hotel. We also provide a complimentary shuttle that transports guest within a 2 mile radius of the hotel and hopefully you will be able to take advantage of our shuttle the next time you stay with us.

Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My husband & I stayed there for 5 days last week. Both of us, as well as the business companions we were with, all agreed that this hotel has the friendliest staff of any hotel we've ever stayed in. The girls at the front desk...every time we came or went, even if they were helping another customer, looked up and greeted us with a smile and a "have a nice day" or "welcome back". The security guards and valet's outside...they were quick to greet us and open the door for us. The girls in the breakfast area were upbeat, friendly and funny. Chatting with guests as they worked the room to keep it replenished and clean. Breakfast offerings were plentiful. Waffles, bagels, english muffins, oatmeal, cold cereal, breakfast sandwiches, hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt. Hotel was very clean. I see a lot of the negative reviews mentioning the "unsafe" feeling outside. Yes, there are a lot of panhandlers nearby, but I think any big city it going to have that. There was a strong police presence nearby keeping loitering to a minimum. I never felt unsafe walking near the hotel. As long as you are walking north of the hotel, you'll be fine. Loved the location and it's close proximity to the MARTA stop! If I had anything negative to say (minor things that would be easy to fix), it would be 2 things. One, the connecting door between us and the next room, has about a 1.5" opening where the door doesn't go all the way to the floor. Very loud women next door on our final night. We tucked a towel down to cover the opening and that helped. But maybe some rubber flaps/stoppers at the bottom of the door would be better? And two, their convenience "store" selection didn't have any first aid/pain relief items (tums, aspirin, etc). This was a problem at 9pm one night and the only CVS nearby closes at 7pm. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing the great experience you had with us at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Atlanta Downtown. Being in the heart of the South we pride ourselves on our “Southern Hospitality” and we are excited to hear that you felt our friendly flame for service excellence.

We are also pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and our close proximity to MARTA and numerous other downtown attractions.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here in 2011 when it was run under yet another name We stayed for 3 nights. During our stay we had one day of outdoor activies planned so I chose not to wear my Pandora style bracelet. That evening when we returned to the hotel we went right to sleep and didnt notice the bracelet was missing off my night stand. The next afternoon I went to put it on and it realized it was gone. We searched up and down, moved the bed, etc, it was not in that room. I went down to the front desk and reported it missing and told the front desk I was going to call the police to file a report. They asked me not to involve the police, they said that the manager was on his way to the hotel to fix a key machine that was not working, and they asked me to wait to speak with the manager before involving the police. I sat in the lobby for 6 and 1/2 hours waiting for Jason(I beleive) the manager to finally show up. When he showed up i explained the situation and he wrote everything down. He said he would have to pull the housekeeping paper work and see how cleaned the room and question the housekeeper, and that he would let me know what he found out in the morning before we flew out. The next morning he blew me off and ignored me. I saw him in a hallway but he turned and went the other way. One front desk person said he wasnt in yet, another said he was in a meeting. At this point I didn't have time to notify the police because we would have missed our flight. I left all my contact information and have spent weeks calling to try and get answers. I also reported it to the Corporate office. I was finally told that if I faxed them the recipet for the bracelet ($350) they would issue me a check. I faxed the recipet and also mailed a copy, and have now spent months and months calling to find out where my check is, and no one will take my calls or give me any answers! I have even been hungup on by the general manager!!! This bracelet was given to me only 4 months before it was stolen, and as my wedding date inches closer I am beyond devastated to not have this bracelet on my wedding day. Watch out if you stay here, keep a close eye on your belongings!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SAW1031
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your stay. We have undergone numerous changes since your stay in September 2011. We are now part of the Marriott family and operate under a different management company. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding the comments pertaining to your stay. Please contact the hotel directly so we can resolve these issues. We look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I came down with 3 of my other girlfriends on the weekend of Aug 10. Upon arrival, we originally booked one King bed, and realized we needed 2 Q/full sizes beds the ladies at the front desk helped us without any complaint. The Valet guys were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good as well, only thing is I wouldn't go too early or too late you may run in to the early risers or late comers. I had such a good time I have already made reservation to have a couples weekend on Sept 21.

Thanks for your hospitality and kindness

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Krystal W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown. We are glad the staff was able to provide you with a high quality of service. We are excited to hear that you will be returning in September. We hope you will be able to take full advantage of all our complimentary amenities (breakfast, shuttle, Wi-Fi, etc…) during your return trip. With feedback like yours and our commitment to continuous improvement we will continue achieve our goal of 100% guest satisfaction.

Please contact us directly so that we can assist with planing for your couple trip. Our entire staff looks forward to your return.