“Worst Marriott hotel. Shouldnt qualify under Marriott brand”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #80 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Berkeley, California
“Worst Marriott hotel. Shouldnt qualify under Marriott brand”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was very easily the worst Marriott I have stayed in. I have been staying with Marriott for 6 years now and have been an Elite member for all these years. I have come to love the Marriott brand, and trust the name. BUT, after this hotel, and my HORRIBLE experience, I will think twice before staying at any Marriott.

Service: The staff is very rude, not courteous and not willing to help. They actually refused to help me when they could.
Rooms: I have a heavy water leak in my bathroom one night, and had to move to another room around midnight. There was a shower pouring from the light fixture in my bathroom. And the staff came to my room and was rude. They said they knew there was a leak, but still let me stay in the room!
Safety: There wasn’t much safety in the area for a single woman to stay at, and I am surprised that Marriott has a hotel in such a location.
Room amenities: The light fixtures did not work in my new room. When I called the staff, they didn’t help either.
Cleanliness: The food mart in the lobby had the filthiest refrigerator I have ever seen. It seemed like it had not been cleaned in years, with soda and dirt leaked all over the fridge.

I had a colleague visit me for a business meeting, and I was embarrassed by my choice of stay.

I have taken pictures of all of these – the filthy refrigerator, the continuous leak from my bathroom and have shared them. I really want to warn people to stay away from this hotel. This should not be under the Marriott brand – it gives all hotels a bad name.
When I shared my story with my colleagues, they were glad they chose Sheraton, Hilton, etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Myreviewer_MS
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I understand that you did not have a desirable stay. Please accept my apologies for the many inconveniences that you unfortunately experienced. I will be sharing this information with our executive committee to ensure these issues are addressed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was a cross between a Fairfield Inn and a Residence Inn. The rooms were very spacious although a bit dated. There is a bar downstairs (pay) and they had food out 3 of the 5 nights I was there. Food ranged from cheese and crackers through build your own Nachos and Meatballs on the one night. Staff was very friendly, (especially the breakfast staff). Breakfast was also between a normal Fairfield Inn spread and what you might see at a Residence Inn. Downside was parking (Valet available at $30 per day) or find your own in the city. Also some maintenance issues. I was on the 14th floor, there are only two elevators and things got tight when only one elevator was running. The handset on the cordless phone in the living room did not work until I called maintenance. And I had to call the internet provider twice during my stay to get connected. Overall though the pluses outweighed the minuses and despite the other comments about the local area, you are right in the middle of things with both Underground Atlanta and the 5 Points Marta station literally across the street.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Greetings!
Thank you so much for taking the time to review my hotel! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I understand that you had the chance to enjoy our social experience. We offer social 3 days a week Monday- Wednesday! We do have other parking options as well. There are self-parking options just a block away as low as $8 a day. If you are ever back the area, I hope that you stay with us again!
Again, Thank you so much!
Evans, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in a bad part of downtown Atlanta. We tried to walk to a restaurant, but we turned around for fear we would get mugged. We had two rooms on the 10th floor and both beds were horrible. We could feel the springs/coils through the mattress. I would not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Holley W
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hello Holley W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It saddens me to know that you did not have an enjoyable experience during your visit. Feedback of any kind lets us know how we're doing. It lets us know what we're doing well and what we need to work on. I will be taking your feedback about the bedding program to our executive team to ensure this is corrected.

Harold J.
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here with my wife and two kids (3 and 2 months) and we had a great time. The best part of this hotel is the staff - they are seriously the nicest people of any hotel I've been to. Always had a smile on...
The hotel itself was nice. Clean room and bathroom. Comfortable beds. Nice view of the buildings kept my 3 year old entertained.
Many reviews talk about the neighborhood - yes, it's a little questionable and I coughed up the money for valet service when we arrived at night. Having two little kids, we are used to being and staying in the house at dark anyway, so it didn't matter to us. We ordered take out one night and had no problem staying at the hotel.
It's in a convenient location to Fernbank and the Aquarium.
Overall, this is a nice hotel and I would stay there again. If I was looking to go do things at night, I would consider a different location, but for us, it was perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hoteI. am so very pleased to hear that you and your family had a great time! When you are back in the area, please keep the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Downtown Atlanta in mind! I hope we are able to serve as your home away from home again, soon!
Homewood, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The room was very clean, service was fine, breakfast was above average for a free hotel breakfast. The valet service was extremely slow. Make sure you call the front desk at least 15 minutes ahead of time to get your car. At one point they forgot the tag number and had to check back with the front desk.

The hotel bar is very small but the bar tender was great. Had a solid discussion on all things sports from Oakland to Atlanta.

If you are traveling for business, this hotel is fine. If you are visiting Atlanta for pleasure, I would not recommend this neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello my name is Harold, I am the General Manager at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Downtown Atlanta. I wanted to thank you so much for the kind words for the Team. I will be sharing this great feedback will everyone. If in the area again, we hope to see you again.

-Kind Regards,
Harry
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 February 2014

All suites. Nice breakfast with hot and cold items. Delish coffee in lobby. Clean, comfortable, current stylish rooms. Nice linens. Free prompt shuttle to and from anywhere in 2 mile radius, which includes major venues/arenas. Across street from 5 points train hub and bus stops. Easy convenient train ride to and from airport. Every staff member absolutely the most courteous.

Room Tip: Request city view from upper floor. Unless...Only 2 elevators, a little bit of wait during peek time...