“Improvements Needed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Improvements Needed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights during a business conference and wished I had stayed elsewhere. The hotel itself is not in a nice area of Downtown Atlanta but pretty convenient to some of the bigger attractions Atlanta has to offer. The biggest downfall of this place was the shuttle service. Getting told the wrong shuttle time (being off by over 25 minutes) when on a schedule is completely unacceptable. It's one thing to be honest with how long the wait will be, but very rude when telling a guest false information. Other problems included only one elevator was operating the entire time which caused 5-10 minute waits. The other elevator was broken and remained untouched during my entire stay. In addition, there was times the staff at the front desk seemed unprofessional when assisting with a problem or concern.

I did enjoy the room and complimentary breakfast that was available during my stay. If you are a light sleeper though, be aware that the hotel is next to the MARTA station and the train horns may wake you up in the middle of the night which happened to me on both nights. The breakfast staff and housekeeping staff were very polite and always said "Good Morning" as I passed by. I did notice one morning however that there were no coffee lids available which prevented me from taking my coffee on the go that morning. Other than those things, I was pretty pleased with the size of my room and the breakfast choices each morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hello RJ!
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback allows us to see where we can improve on. Good, bad, or indifferent, it acts as out score card. Secondly, I want to apologize on the service that you received from our front desk team. This behavior is unacceptable, please accept my sincere apologies. I hope we see you again in the future to make things right.

Harold.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We choose this hotel for the location and the $8 a day self-parking option. The location is a "double-edged sword": CNN, Coke and the Aquarium are within a 15 minute walking distance (the hotel has a free shuttle) and the hotel is right across the street from a MARTA station. However, the hotel is not in the prettiest part of town (you know you're not in Buckhead). It's located above Underground Atlanta, which passed its prime along time ago. There were some "rough" looking characters on the street, but I never felt unsafe and my wife felt OK walking to the attractions alone with our 2 youngest kids. The hotel has a security person at night and a police station is one block away. There is some city noise at night, so if you must have absolute quiet to sleep, you might not like it here. The parking is cheap for downtown. All the other hotels charged $30 a day for parking, so ask about this. Valet parking here is also $30, so I say self-park for $8. The public garage is around the corner, was never full and is a very short walk if you go out the exit. I dropped the wife and kids off at the front of the hotel and drove around the corner to park. The hotel itself is a nicely renovated historic building, but you can see some wear and tear. It is not the Ritz. It was clean. The bathtub/shower seemed large. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful ( the breakfast staff greeted us like family). The seating in the breakfast area was quite large. My only complaints: 1 of the 2 elevators was broken for our entire 5 day stay; the beds were too soft for my taste; one morning they ran out of tea. We stayed the last week of March 2014. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi Tom!

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I hope we see you again in the future and with both elevators working, this time! I understand the frustration with only one working elevator at the time. It's currently in the process of being fixed. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

When you're back in the Atlanta area, I hope we have the opportunity to serve as your hotel of choice for you and your family

-Best,
Blacksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This is by far the worst Marriott I have ever stayed at. To start, the property is not located in a good area of downtown Atlanta. Additionally, the property looks like it recently had a renovation, but that renovation is simply ugly. The staff was lazy, unresponsive, and frankly unprofessional. We had to wait for a good 5-10 minutes for the shuttle driver to come out from the back office while she was acting very unprofessionally with a male coworker. The shuttle was also late on several occasions, and when we asked for a reason why the shuttle was late, all the front desk attendant did was give us a generic answer and half hearted apology. The breakfast staff were pleasant and helpful, but the breakfast itself lacked several basics. In addition, the coffee station could not even cover the typical guest needs. There were no tea bags, or lids for hot drinks. In my room, I could pop the sink handle off with little to no effort.
I understand that this hotel recently went through a management change, but based on previous reviews, the management change has done nothing but worsen the hotel. I would not stay here if it was the last hotel in downtown Atlanta, and Marriott should be ashamed to have this hotel in its portfolio.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin P
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hello Kevin,

I am so terribly sorry that your stay at my hotel was unsatisfactory. I am embarrassed that my team treated you in such a manor, failing at all levels of service. This behavior is unacceptable and is not tolerated. The maintenance issues that you experienced in your suite have been noted and are in the process of being fixed. I understand that we failed to provide you with the comforts and service you have come to expect, please accept my sincere apologies. I really would like an opportunity to make this right. Please feel free to reach out to me
Shorewood, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is in a geat location. Right across the street from the MARTA station, 15 minute walk to Centennial Park, World of Coke and Aquarium. The desk staff is AWESOME Joseph, Edith, Lala, Hugh and Alfonzo. They were very helpful and always cheerful. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. I had breakfast 2 mornings and there were different choices each day. I did have an issue with my A/C not cooling however the staff was quick to look into it and offered me a new room when the issue was not resolved. It was nice to have a fridge and microwave.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi RunningNana,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I glad to hear you had a great time while visiting the area. Please accept my apologies for the air conditioner not working in your first room. Thank you for the great feedback on some of the front desk team, I will surly share it with them!

When traveling to the area, I hope we see you again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very convenient for downtown Atlanta. The area the hotel is in is not great and it was a bit intimidating initially but then we got used to it and found that after a few minutes you can be in a nicer street. Hotel room was large, staff were friendly and breakfast was good. Good value for money. It was a Mum and daughter trip and we would stay in this hotel again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Joggerjo,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip to Atlanta! I am especially happy to hear all of the great feedback about the hotel! I will make sure to share the kind words with my team. I hope we will see you again!

Thanks you so much!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were impressed by the Fairfield Inn but what really stood out was the wonderful breakfast staff. They went out of their way to be helpful and we loved the impromptu songs they sang and how cheerful they were in the morning. We really appreciated Cathy especially who was very nice to my infant son and got to know him over our several day stay, even buying him a present when we left! Way above and beyond what we have ever experienced before in a hotel staff.
The rooms were nice too and quite spacious. Because of the close proximity of the subway we found the location to be convenient. While some of the surrounding area like any down town location may not be the best with the subway being so close we never had a problem.
After the way we were treated we would never think of staying anywhere else when we visited Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi anson 119!

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield inn! We take great pride in making sure our guests feel welcome and part of our family! I thank you for all of the kind words and great feedback. I will be sharing this with our team! When in the area again, I hope we see you and your little one again!

Berkeley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was very easily the worst Marriott I have stayed in. I have been staying with Marriott for 6 years now and have been an Elite member for all these years. I have come to love the Marriott brand, and trust the name. BUT, after this hotel, and my HORRIBLE experience, I will think twice before staying at any Marriott.

Service: The staff is very rude, not courteous and not willing to help. They actually refused to help me when they could.
Rooms: I have a heavy water leak in my bathroom one night, and had to move to another room around midnight. There was a shower pouring from the light fixture in my bathroom. And the staff came to my room and was rude. They said they knew there was a leak, but still let me stay in the room!
Safety: There wasn’t much safety in the area for a single woman to stay at, and I am surprised that Marriott has a hotel in such a location.
Room amenities: The light fixtures did not work in my new room. When I called the staff, they didn’t help either.
Cleanliness: The food mart in the lobby had the filthiest refrigerator I have ever seen. It seemed like it had not been cleaned in years, with soda and dirt leaked all over the fridge.

I had a colleague visit me for a business meeting, and I was embarrassed by my choice of stay.

I have taken pictures of all of these – the filthy refrigerator, the continuous leak from my bathroom and have shared them. I really want to warn people to stay away from this hotel. This should not be under the Marriott brand – it gives all hotels a bad name.
When I shared my story with my colleagues, they were glad they chose Sheraton, Hilton, etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Myreviewer_MS
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I understand that you did not have a desirable stay. Please accept my apologies for the many inconveniences that you unfortunately experienced. I will be sharing this information with our executive committee to ensure these issues are addressed.