“No attention to detail”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #83 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
“No attention to detail”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We tried checking in at 3pm like they said when we booked our room. The wait to check in was about 30 minutes(late), several people had to wait, the lobby was full. 17 floors in all, we stayed on the 16th floor, the hallways were hot, but the A/C worked fine in the room. Only 2 elevators, very crowded and long waits to get on. Ice machine was broke on our floor, the phone didn't work, and when we pulled the curtains back, someone had left a pair of ratty socks in the floor. Nasty. Convenient location, Staff was friendly

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ks2828
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello Ks2828,

I am so terribly sorry that you had this unfortunate experience at our hotel. I am embarrassed that we failed to provide you with a comfortable and relaxing stay. I would like the opportunity to make this right for you.

Harold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible Terrible Terrible. Please by all means stay away.

I have been with marriott for a long time never had this kind of experience. Not even in my life.

I was staying there on business for 2 DAYS. When my car got broken into when it was supposed to be parked by valet.

Going back in forth with marriott who clearly does not own the parking garage. However it says valet on the Website for $30.00.

From what I understand Marriott charges you to park then pay the people who owns the levels in the garage. So maybe they charge you $30 to park Marriott keeps $10 because they know people would pay through them and trust them give the valet $20.

In my case (me not knowing because I had never been there) paid the valet to park my car $20. He said he that he would park it where they park the valet.

VERY LONG STORY SHORT.

HE PARK IT SOME WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THEY BROKE INTO IT AND TRIED TO STEAL IT.
THIS IS BECOMING TO BE A LOT OF MONEY.

I HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE ALL DAY WITH corporate. I have been waiting on the GM to call me back since yesterday. When this happen. I'm not able to drive my car. Stranded in Atlanta $700 in the hole not included tow truck and hotels fees.

Highly upset and I mean no one wants to help. That's with Lifetime Platinum Members. So if they treat platinum this way. My gosh I hate for anyone else to stay. Don't stay PLEASE DONT STAY.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Creamy K
I am so terribly sorry that you had this most unfortunate experience. As you were aware, we contacted the Atlanta Police department and the owners of the parking garage. I have been in contact with you the entire time throughout the process to ensure you were taken care of. I hope you feel as though everything has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Harold

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield for a week in May 2014.

The folks at the front desk and in the breakfast cafe were all friendly and helpful, and the location is extremely convenient -- it's directly across the street from the Five Points MARTA station, so getting to and from the airport is a cinch. The beds, sheets, and towels were all clean and comfortable.

The hotel itself has seen better days. The paint on the bathroom ceiling was peeling, the sink was cracked, and one of the closet door handles was just about falling off. The thermostat for the air conditioning was hanging off the wall by a wire, and the a/c didn't seem to be able to keep up with even the mild spring weather -- it was running continuously, and as another reviewer mentioned, while the air was sort of cool it also seemed to be quite humid. The wifi was out of commission for the first two days of my stay, but was fine once it was fixed.

The elevator inspection certificates appeared to be recently expired, and the emergency exit maps by the elevator doors didn't appear to have any relation to the actual layout of the hotel.

Breakfast was okay but not fancy. There were yogurts and fresh fruit and milk and cereal in addition to the hot dishes (egg/sausage/hash browns/etc). The coffee was, hands down, the worst coffee I have ever had. Ever.

Some folks have called the location "unsafe and unsavory" but I don't think that's the case. I was walking from the hotel to the Georgia World Conference Center every day for a week and never felt unsafe. It was pretty common for people to ask me for money, but that happens in many metro areas, and honestly they were all generally polite about it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lars K
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello Lars,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! I have investigated these issues within the suite that you had stayed in and have since taken care of these items. I am so terribly sorry that you had to experience this. I hope when in the area again, you will give us the opportunity to WOW you on your next visit to Atlanta.

I hope we see you again!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

First of, I have been a Silver member for a long time and happen to be a huge fan of Marriott hotels. However, this one was an ultimate disappointment. I knew this was going to be as soon as we pulled up and realized how unsafe and unsavory this part of downtown was (and don't let the pictures fool you!). The folks upfront seemed friendly and accommodating yet on the very first full day of our stay there, it proved impossible to get our room cleaned despite two requests from me(!). One of the two elevators (both extremely slow for a 17-floor building) proved to have an expired safety inspection certificate. And on the morning we were about to check out... our car got broken into and mugged at the Hotel's valet parking. Yes, the hotel allowed us to stay for free an extra night, yet that was little consolation considering I had to spend a whole day get the broken window repaired instead of enjoying vacation. This by far rates as the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in recent memory.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ilya S
Hello Ilya,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I so terribly sorry that we failed to provide you with a comforting stay. I understand that you were dissatisfied with the area as well as the service that we failed to provide to you. I can assure this is unacceptable an I am so deeply sorry that you had the most unfortunate experience. Atlanta Police Department have been actively monitoring the garage since we have reported this incident.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Harold J.
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 14 May 2014

All employees were pleasant and very helpful; the location is convenient for activities in the area. BUT, that's it for positive notes. The entire 5th floor seemed warm and damp! The a/c blew cool air, but the humidity heavy. There was ONLY 1 trashcan in the entire 3 room suite, NO extra toilet paper, the bathroom was sticky as if whoever mopped had used entirely too much soap so it dried sticky. YUK! Coffee "station" had 5 packages of coffee with only 1 packet of sweetener, 4 or 5 packs of sugar, and ZERO creamer! We didn't even bother making any. The breakfast was fair at best. Sausage was white-didn't touch that! Next time we'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you must stay here just don't stay on 5th floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackieculpepper
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello Jackie,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am truly sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. You have noted several areas of valid concern. I can assure that this is unacceptable and we are working on these areas for an all around better experience. Jackie, thank you for sharing your valuable feedback.

Lake Isabella, MI
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn in downtown ATL for a few nights as part of a conference I was attending near the Georgia Dome. The staff at the hotel was truly excellent. Very friendly and professional. The breakfast was good and the Wifi worked very well. The location was OK in terms of distance from the Georgia Dome, it was a 15 to 20 minute walk, which was OK as it wasn't too hot during our stay. It is a very good location if you plan on using the MARTA system as it is across the street from the 5 Points Central Station.

The only issues we had we our room keys never seemed to work with the front door.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Teearedubya,

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel as well as the area. I have investigated the issue with the front entrance. We have fixed this. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I hope we see you again when visiting the Atlanta area.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites for one Saturday night. The walls seemed super thin, and I could hear everyone at all hours of the evening. That was unfortunate. The hotel was clean, and the staff was very helpful. The location was pretty good. The bed was not comfortable, and the breakfast was disgusting. I don't think the eggs were real and the sausage looked unappealing (I didn't try it though.) I also got stuck in the elevator, though I think that was a fluke. All in all, I would stay here again, but probably only for a very short stay. I forgot to mention, there was a nice sitting area in the room, so it felt like you had a lot more space by having the bedroom separated from the sitting area.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on a lower level floor as the views aren't that great up top, and the elev...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hi Heyv,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am saddened to hear that you stay was only fine. We strive to make all of our guests feel like family. I am so sorry that you were unable to enjoy our breakfast. We are currently working to add new items with plenty of healthier options.

I hope we see you again on your next visit to Atlanta!