“Non-working elevators in an unsafe location...Marriott should do better”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
“Non-working elevators in an unsafe location...Marriott should do better”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed approximately one week ago and the elevators are still having issues. The elevator on the left would go up to about the 8th floor, stop, make a terrible clunk then return to the lobby. Took way to long to actually get to the 15th floor. In fact, going from the 15th down it failed twice in a row so I chose to take 15 flights of stairs down. I'm in good shape, but that would have been hard for some travelers. Long story short....the elevator issue is still not resolved. The room was OK, but the mattress on the bed left something to be desired.
The worst part about the location is the large numbers of street people and dealers hanging out around the hotel. They are everywhere. I was hit up for money 4 times from the transit center exit to the hotel door (about 120 feet walking distance). It left me feeling quite unsafe. The neighborhood is so undesirable restaurants are not located there, other than McDonald's and I think a Subway. Nothing for dinner. I finally decided to walk about 9 blocks up towards the Hard Rock to get dinner. I learned from two independent restaurant workers and a cab driver that the area is not safe at night. A bar tender told me that he nor anyone for that matter should be walking in that area at night. Apparently, shootings do happen. Its not surprising because if you took the time to watch closely you will see street level drug deals going down less than 100 feet from the building. I hope Marriott can find the staff, who were helpful, and their guests a better downtown location for their hotel. I stay in Marriott hotels of varying levels almost weekly. Unfortunately, this was by far the biggest eyesore for the entire brand.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc S
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hello Marc,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time in letting us know how we are doing. I wanted to take the time to apologize about the most unfortunate experience that you had while staying with us. From time to time we do experience elevator issues and I understand that you had regrettably experienced this first hand. I hope you will accept my sincere apology on behalf of the team and myself. Our goal is providing you with an experience that is comfortable and worry free. Again, I am sorry that we failed to provide you with this. I would love an opportunity to make this right. Please let me know if there is anything I may do, it will be my pleasure to assist.

Harold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Upon check-in we had to wait almost 45 minutes for our room to be available, even though we called a day ahead to confirm check in time. The lobby was packed with many many other people waiting for their rooms
as well. Once we were checked and settled in our room, I was surprised that it was very nice considering the area which was very run down and trashy. We felt very unsafe and will not be staying here on our next trip to Atlanta.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Stacy_michelle
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Hello Stacy,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations. I am so terribly sorry to hear that you had the most unfortunate experience at check in. We make every effort possible to ensure all of our rooms are ready for check-in. From time to time, we do experience longer delays. Again, I am so terribly sorry that you experienced this. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

East Tennessee
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The staff was extremely nice and helpful. My family stayed here for one night to catch a Braves game. I will add that it was a free stay based on my points. A very nice hotel on the edge of a very rough part of downtown Atlanta. Never any concern however. We walked 1 block to catch a bus to the game and 1 block back to the hotel once the bus dropped us back off. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, the hotel was clean and well managed. There was a Waffle House right next door to take care of any 'after game' food needs. The only thing I didn't like was the parking was somewhere off site and it wasn't optional. It wasn't cheap either. The valet did a great job of getting our vehicle to us the next morning in a timely manner and helping us with our luggage. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It is right in the heart of downtown! An entrance to 'Underground Atlanta' was right at the hotel but we didn't have the time to explore it. A very good stay at a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IMTheTruth
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello Traveler,

I am pleased to hear your great experience while visiting Atlanta for the Braves game. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing.

I hope we see you again when visiting the Atlanta area.

Elizabethton, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Came down from tennessee to watch a Braves game location was ok,the elevator got stuck and had to call fire department,used vallet parking and couldnt get a hold of them to bring our car twice.Probably wont stay here again.

Room Tip: not much of a view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James A
Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we're doing! We have both of our elevators back in service, servicing all 17 floors. I do apologize about your experience with our valet services. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right. If you're in the Atlanta area again, I hope we see you again!

-Harold
Trenton, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My friends and I took a weekend trip to Atlanta to celebrate our birthdays. To surprise our youngest friend, we called ahead to see if we could arrange a few decorations in the room. We were not let down at all. They had even went to the World of Coke and picked up a gift set we had mentioned getting for our friend. They gave us a complementary upgrade so we would have more room to 'celebrate'. Everyone here from valet to housekeeping was exceptionally wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014
Hello Traveler,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your weekend celebration with you friends! I hope we see you again when visiting the Atlanta area!

Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I am so disappointed with Marriott!! I choose them where ever I stay. This was the first time I was so disappointed! For starters, One elevator and as I read previous post this is a on going situation. Secondly, I thought I was picking a good location wrong!! This is the hang out spot and I did not feel safe at all! To take the cake, roaches on the wall!! Is this really a Marriott? And if so they need to maintain the same standards across the board. If, it was not so late and I could find another hotel I would quickly leave this camp. I complained to the lady at the front desk which she offered 20000 points. Not good enough!! Really lady on top of this terrible service and the 30 your tricked into paying for valet. You have no choice are you will be without a vehicle#!! Terrible

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank DeeDee C
Hello DeeDee,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I understand your frustration and the arrears of concern that you had mentioned. I realize these areas have severely impacted the comfort of your stay. I am so terribly sorry that we let you down. For safety concerns and the well being of our guest, we did shut down an elevator. The necessary repairs have been made and both elevators are in service to all floors. We take all pest issues at the hotel very serious. We have a Marriott approved company to handle all of out pest preventative maintenance. From time to time, we do experience palmettos, they are reminiscent of what you had described. In our climate and constant humidity we do unfortunately experience these despite the measure that we have in place to prevent their presences.

DeeDee, I am so terribly sorry that you had this most unfortunate experience at my property.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our family drove to Atlanta during Memorial Day weekend for mini vacation. We were greeted warmly by the valet staff. There was a lot of congestion around the hotel due to having the parade that weekend and carnival which required a lot of patience. Overall the hotel is clean and staff is friendly. We felt hotel is safe and security presence is visible. The hotel location is not is a great area but didnt feel threatened. We had paid for 2 rooms(708 and 709) My son had requested towel service for 2 days in a row and never received any towels even after he removed the "do not disturb sign" We did tell the desk staff at checkout about this and she seems shocked because she had requested the towel delivery as well. The free breakfast was just "ok" and was so crowded in dining area that we had to take the breakfast up to our rooms to eat. I suggest going when they first start serving breakfast. Overall. hotel was ok, really didnt like the the surrounding area, The Underground Atlanta is a big disappointment as it really doesnt offer much shopping and it closes early. One plus of the hotel is the free shuttle service to the area attractions and the shuttle driver was super nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room as will hear less traffic in hallway
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen A
Harold J, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hi Karen!

Thank you so much for letting us know how your stay was! I am so sorry that we failed to provide you with appropriate housekeeping service. I can certainly understand how much of an inconvenience this must have been. I hope you will accept our apology as this is not normal behavior. I am happy to hear, despite the few hiccups, your stay was pleasant.

I hope we see you again on your next visit to the Atlanta area.

Harold.