“just not ready for large scale”

Aloft Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #46 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jonesboro, Georgia
“just not ready for large scale”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We decided to try a staycation for our 23rd anniversary and chose the ALOFT. when we arrived we had to go around to the back where there are no clear instructions on parking. we get inside and was met by a host that was less than professional he proceeded to carry on a conversation with a young lady( a co-worker) standing at the front when we checked in. He tells us that parking is $20.00 and not to pay the machine out front. Good thing we did not. After checking in we went to the bar the bartender was less than professional as she did the very thing ordering dinner and carrying on a conversation with someone sitting at the bar it took 20 minutes for her to even ask what we were having. The hotel does not have room service, and the walls are paper thin. when we checked out they charged me twice and told me it would be 7-10 days before it drop off. When I inquired why I was charged twice they said they charged me when I checked in as a hold then they charged me again when I left. I can not recommend this hotel. they have a lot of work to do before making a good nome for themselves

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank newshoes1965
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear newshoes1965,
We are very sorry for the service you experienced during your recent stay with us. Providing excellent service to each of our guests is very important to us, and it sounds like we have a training opportunity with our team. Thank you for sharing with us, and we hope that the rest of your 23rd anniversary staycation was a good one. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Came in for a conference, several of my colleagues received cheaper rates. When I asked about their best rate guarantee they told me the others had booked through Internet sites so no I couldn't have those rates. There is no restaurant associated with thus hotel, a cooler with stale sandwiches are available. The pool is the size of a postage stamp! There were no information packets / brochures for tourists. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Really no special amenities that make this hotel worth the $299.00/night. I wouldn't stay here again and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone....overpriced and lacking in customer service!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Melissa K,
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Our rates are based on availability and will adjust as demand increases. Those who booked online very early were able to enjoy the lower rate. Our Re:Fuel area does offer hot food in addition to cold sandwiches and salads, and we are sorry you were dissatisfied with the selection. While our pool is small, it does have the advantage of being a current pool which allows guests to swim again the current. We apologize for not meetings your initial expectations, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. All the best.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We visited the Aloft Atlanta Downtown in May 2014 (a couple of months after it opened). We had numerous problems with our stay, especially with housekeeping -- the room was not cleaned on two of the four days we were there. Any requests for items to be brought to the room (for example, extra coat hangers, cups for water that had not been replaced by housekeeping) were simply not brought. Staff did not appear to know what was going on. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks over the next few months but our impression was of a staff and management that were incompetent, disorganized, and not customer-service oriented.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank finocchiata
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear finocchiata,
We are very sorry for the inconveniences you had with housekeeping during your recent stay with us. It is our priority to provide the best experience for our guests, and we apologize we fell short on your expectations. This type of information is very helpful in pinpointing opportunities of improvement, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to Atlanta. Take care.
Rockaway Township, NJ
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This place was more like a nightclub than a hotel. Excruciatingly loud music in the lobby and by the pool (& you can hear it in the rooms). Scantily dressed people dancing all over the place. NOT for kids.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karliesjz
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I called the hotel from the Atlanta airport where I was stranded. They could not find my business account on the phone---even though I have a corporate account and are one of the largest companies in the world. I was too tired to keep asking the operator. I booked and then immediately---and I mean immediately called twice to cancel as I didn't understand how far away the hotel was from the airport. I called twice and my question was brushed off. Both operators were very professional, but were obviously trained how to brush off those questions and immediately ask if I wanted to book something else. I have stayed all over the world for decades and have never, ever been charged a no show for cancelling within a couple minutes of booking. Heck, I've even been refunded airline tickets when I immediately cancel. You can tell me it was "your policy", but the hotel seriously lacks the desire to do the right thing. I have stayed in another Aloft before and have been a faithful SPG member for many years. I assure you that I will avoid this chain and will spread the word within my company to do the same.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tampa_Dude2
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Tampa_Dude2,
We sincerely apologize for your dissatisfying experience while booking your stay. It’s our goal to provide excellent customer service to our guests throughout the entire booking process, and we are very sorry we fell short on this during your cancellation call. We completely understand your frustrations, so we would like to rectify your experience by refunding your cancellation should you decide to personally contact us with your confirmation number. Please email our General Manager, Terry Hitt, at tery.hitt@aloftatlantadtn.com, to further amend your situation. Again, we are very sorry for your experience, but we hope you will consider staying with our hotel when you have more time to visit the Atlanta area. All the best.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This W spinoff hotel was great. We stayed here during Memorial Day weekend 2014, and though they had issues with locating our reservation due to using an outside vendor (I think it was hotels.com), the manager came by and was very courteous. All was well in the end.

Pros: Bliss products in the rooms (!!!!), plenty of parking available, walking distance to downtown attractions, decor in lobby and room was so cute, free wifi in room, comfy bed

Cons: Breakfast was wanting, some of the guests looked sketch (but I won't hold it against the hotel), pool is a bit small

Bottomline: would stay here again, great bargain

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LatteGoodness
Edgewood
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here one night on our way home from Florida. I've never stayed in downtown Atlanta BUT that's a different story ( will NEVER be back)..... The hotel is modern deco which I like, bed was extremely comfy rooms were nice and spacious. I did a lot of research on rooms before picking this one. They are ONE OF THE ONLY hotels in atlanta that is NOT listed on the bed bug registry. The pool is extremely small which was a bummer because the kids wanted to swim, one family inhabited the whole space. We have three children whom I did not feel safe having there. It's a great location if you are single or with friends, walk up the street and have multiple restaurants on either side of you HOWEVER it's is one of the most ghetto cities I have been to. I kept my taser in my purse while we were out.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank EF3
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear EF3,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and providing us your honest feedback about your stay. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in the Atlanta area. However, we are delighted to hear that you and your family liked the Aloft style and enjoyed our guestrooms. We appreciate you staying with our hotel and hope that you had safe travels back home from your Florida visit. We hope that you will consider staying with another Aloft hotel in the future so that you can continue to enjoy the Aloft experience. All the best.