“Too much work for too much $$$”

Aloft Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #46 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Oh my, they have still have lots of bugs to work out, but regardless it will never be worth $289 a might no matter what they do. I was there for a trade show and the hotel is very conveniently located across the street from Americasmart. I asked for an early check in and to not have a handicap room. I wasn't able to check in until very late in the afternoon and you guessed it, the only room available was the handicap one. The front desk crew was very nice considering the burden of not having rooms available at the posted checkin time of 3 pm. That is on housekeeping. The lack of a restaurant in a hotel charging $289+ a night is just not right. Their snack area is a joke no matter what they call it 'Refesh"??? I got used to the low light in the hallways by feeling my way along the wall, just kidding, but I dont think it is safe to have the hallways that dark. There isnt any security limiting who comes and goes on the elevators The pool is small, ok tiny, but nice to sit by and have drinks with friends after work. Oh, then there is the $40 charge for self-parking???? No valet parking & no bell men but they still want the big bucks. No hooks in the bathroom and be remedied but it still wont be worth the $. I have stayed at so many properties in the Atlanta over the past 10 years. This property would only be worth it at $129 per night, tops. The ice machine on my floor was broken all three days. I heard complaints in person and over the phone that rooms were not being cleaned if you left the 'do not disturb' hanger on your door for any period of time. Apparently, the front desk's go to excuse if the room wasn't cleaned.

Room Tip: if you stay in a handicap room, the blinds are electronic and the switch is under the thermostat. N...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Ming95864,
Thank you for sharing with us. We do our best to satisfy guests’ room requests, but due to high demand, we may not always be able to fulfill them. Additionally, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused by not having your room ready upon check-in. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, and we hope your trip for the trade show at the AmericasMart was a good one. Take care.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hearing before how this aloft was fairly new, I was extremely impressed with the decor and the positive energy upon arrival. I was greeted and checked in by a bubbly and well mannered guy at the front desk (Daryl?). He assisted with helping my wife and I find great restaurants in the downtown Atlanta area. I appreciated the fact that he acknowledged my SPG status and offered my wife and I complementary water while he checked us in. The bar they had there was phenomenal and affordable, though we wished they offered more food choices. Parking was a little hectic but we also understood we checked in during prime time when everyone was arriving for check in. Rooms were very clean and the beds were super comfy. The only complaint that we have is we wanted to extend our reservation but, was told they were fully committed and sold out during the days we wanted to extend. All in all, my family and I will be returning to this location again in the near future! Awesome!

• Stayed: July 2014
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Blueclearseas,
Thank you so much for your raving review! We are thrilled you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and liked our loft-inspired decor. We take pride in providing our guests with exceptional service, and we are so happy our team exceeded your expectation during your stay. Thank you for being a loyal SPG member, and we look forward to hosting you and your family for your next trip to Atlanta. All the best.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I travel for work. What I need in an acceptable room is: good lighting, hooks in the bathroom, drawers for my clothes, some kind of music system to drown out the dead silence, reading materials about the city I'm staying in, good lighting, and helpful signage in the hotel.
The Aloft Atlanta is a very hip and attractive hotel in the lobby. The pool is small and the water much too warm, but a welcome respite after a long day working. However comfortable the bed is, the room is severely lacking in adequate light to work by, storage, and creature comforts as simple as making the room feel slightly homey. If you have a great rate to stay here then do. But I can barely find my belongings in this room that is large but so underlit I'm feeling like I'm staying in a cave. Maybe this is the new modern, but my eyes are struggling.
Signage is utterly lacking...I think the owners assume we know where to find what we are looking for.
Charming hip lobby. Don't eat here but drinks are affordable.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I picked the Atlanta Aloft for a few reasons. The most important reasons were location and the Aloft brand.

My first Aloft stay was in Tallahassee. I was very impressed by the decor and hip vibe. So when my family and I decided to do a little sightseeing in Atlanta we picked Aloft. Location is great for those looking to sightsee with kids. It was an easy walk to Coca-Cola, the aquarium, CNN and the Olympic park. It was also super easy to walk to dinner. We never felt unsafe and we stuck to the perimeter of Peachtree area restaurants and the before mentioned tourist traps.

Now the not so good. I'm an easy reviewer so for me to give three stars it's got to be remarkable. First of all my husband had to stand around waiting to be checked in while the front desk person spent quite a bit of time on a phone call that should have been placed on hold. They seemed to be understaffed.

When we went up to the room we went up the elevator with a security guard carrying towels (again understaffed) we thought "that's interesting" and forgot about it. We remembered that security guard when we went to take showers and there was ONE towel in the bathroom. Towels were delivered quickly though. Not too sure what's that about. On the topic of the bathroom the body wash and shampoo dispensers were almost empty. Also the sink for a double queen was exceptionally small. Only one person at a time. No room for toiletries.

More gripes. One blind was broken. No smiles from the staff. The atmosphere of the lobby was a little depressing. The SPG channel was not working so we couldn't watch any programming discussing city highlights. We took the SPG channel for granted as we noticed when it was not available. Walls were paper thin (I'm so grateful we brought our portable stereo...I think they were dancing next to us).

The hotel is beautiful. The beds were heavenly. The hotel has got the looks but lacks the substance.

Expect to go out for all meals. The hotel food selection (located in the lobby) is poor and again service is not with a smile. Consider packing your own breakfast if you want a early start doing your touring. No room service at Alofts.

But, you may want to take my gripes with a grain of salt for the future. They recently opened and are likely working out the kinks. Keep checking the low star reviews to see if the common complaints become less frequent. If they do check it out. If not you may want to wait until they get it together. Good luck with your decision! If you go there anyways it's certainly tolerable. I've just been around the block a few times and I made these observations through my experience. Good luck!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank infl

Dear infl,
Thank you being a loyal Aloft guest and writing us a review. We’re thrilled you enjoyed our easy breezy location near all of the favorite Atlanta attractions and restaurants. We will address your comments with our team to ensure guest experience is improved. Thanks again for your review, and we hope you will decide to stay with us for your next trip to the Atlanta area. Take care.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

As an SPG platinum member, I was terribly disappointed with all aspects of this stay. Upon parking, the trash cans in the parking area were overflowing with trash spilling out all over e place. Huge dog poop was on the grass right beside the sidewalk to enter the hotel. Lobby area was unclean as were elevators and halls. Staff was not professional or friendly. The check in was lengthy and awful. Room was not ready at check in time, given another room, get to it, find it only has 1 bed, not 2 as it should have, go back the lobby, while dragging luggage and child, sit even more time, and then get a standard queen room, not the queen suite that was originally booked. No recognition was given or mentioned for being SPG platinum. Room was not cleaned properly, mirror had hand marks/smudges all over it. Pool area was not clean and pool itself is extremely small. I will not be back here nor can I recommend this place to anyone. Completely disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AvaTennessee1

Dear AvaTennessee,
We are very sorry your experience did not meet expectations. What you described does not reflect our standards, and we appreciate you sharing this with us. Rest assured, we have discussed these things with our team to ensure its improvement. Thank you for being a loyal SPG member, and we hope we will have an opportunity to make this up to you in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel has spent a great deal of money on the decor and ambience, but the lack of funding for training is so glaringly obvious that it is next to impossible to stay here. The two stars I gave it were for the cleanliness of the room upon arrival. However our sink was clogged,our room did not get cleaned until we complained, and when I called to ask what wan wrong with the wifi I was told "There's nothing I can of about it ". The front desk is so unresponsive that I had time to get angry, research the number for Starwood corporate, and hold for a corporate representative without the front desk phone being answered. This hotel needs to hire more experienced and courteous staff members and train those that have potential appropriately.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was afraid the stay was going to be bad when I walked in. The check in counter was backed up with people and the staff was not really working fast or apologizing for the long wait. The lobby had the feel of a night club atmosphere. That probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I would have been greeted by a friendly person.

After you step out of the elevator you walk into a hallway that is dark with little lighting. I guess they were trying to carry on with the night club theme but it created an uncomfortable feeling. The room wasn't any better. It was small and made you a little claustrophobic. They had placed the refrigerator in the bathroom. I don't really want to get a drink or food when it is four feet from the toilet

In many ways the hotel ruined the trip. I felt like I had taken my family into an MTV party and we were trapped there for four days. And, it was a very expensive mistake too. If I was not there on business I would have cut my losses and found a different hotel.

I will not stay at this hotel ever again.

Dear J D,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We’re sorry your experience with us did not met expectations and you did not like our modern, loft inspired style. We appreciate your feedback, and hope you and your family were able to enjoy the Downtown Atlanta area during your stay. Take care.