“Don't be fooled by the Hilton name”

Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #46 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
College Park, Maryland
“Don't be fooled by the Hilton name”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I would have to say of all the chains I have booked and stayed this particular hotel provided the worst customer experience. Prior to our arrival, I attempted to book a second room with a double bed; I was quite successful online, but it was a completely different story over the phone and at the hotel. "No" was the favorite word for all customer service workers.

When I originally booked both reservations 8 months prior, I reserved a King and Queen beds. Unbeknownst to me, the hotel change my reservations to two kings. The notation of requesting double beds remained. I requested a rollaway bed since "no" double beds were available. During this crazy check in process a desk clerk whose name began with an "A" decides to rudely interrupt my conversation with a unprofessional comment. The manager Mike was oblivious to the exchange until I started I would be calling corporate. He then tells me he is "Corporate".

He was unable to provide a double bed. The next day I found the original conformation email from Nov. 2013 which showed a reservation for double beds. I provided the email to the young lady supervisor on morning shift, she was most helpful,she moved my parents to another room later that day.

Upon my return to the hotel, I spoke with Mike. Who provided half of the room for one night, but then accused my cousin of switching my room...REALLY!!!

Food & Beverage service was provided for our main event. The chicken was dry, corn on the cob was cold and the peach cobbler had NO spices and needed sugar. The coffee service was set up with to go cups. This is really a pet peeve and tacky. I requested cups & saucers. Provide guests the option of both, but paper cups while your still eating with china & silverware is just plain tacky.

The next time I am in Downtown Atlanta, I will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Harman H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I must say I was very surprised to hear about your experience as described. Our mission is provide you with a hotel experience that not only meets your expectations for the Hilton brand name, but exceeds them. It appears that we fell short of that mark and for that I sincerely apologize.

I'm deeply disappointed that we were not able to meet your room type needs on the initial night of your stay. Without knowing the exact circumstance, it is difficult for me to explain it. My experience leads me to believe that it would've been maintenance related. Rest assured that I'm looking inot this situation to see what steps can be taken to avoid the problem moving forward.

I would also like to acknowledge that you were dissatisfied with your interaction with one of our associates. I'm sure he would be as disappointed to hear it, as was I. As a leader, it's my goal to provide all team members with coaching to allow them to resolve issues in a way that is both satisfying to our guests, and consistent with our values as an organization. This case will be no different and I intend to address your concerns.

I would love an opportunity to speak to you further about your experience. I'm eager make things right. Please call me on my direct line 404-704-8042 at your earliest convenience.

Harman Hall, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Arrived late at night expecting to be given a leftover room. Instead, to my surprise, they put us on the so-called "Penthouse Level". The view was spectacular. For fans of architecture, the majority of John Portman designed skyscrapers were visible from our large windows. At night the view was even better once the buildings were lit up.

We hadn't eaten dinner when we arrived, but luckily, the hotel did prepare us several room service meals, even though they were only a few minutes from closing. It was a life-saver for 2 hungry kids. The food was actually very good too...especially the Caesar Salads.

Our room was spotless clean and looked very modern and new. The shower was actually one of the more powerful ones we encountered on our trip. Everything just looked tidy and organized.

We self-parked our car in their covered garage, which cost as of July 2014, $22.00 a day. You can park your car even before you check in. The lot entrance is around the corner from the hotel entrance and is open to the public too. Once you check-in, your room key card gives you unlimited in and out privileges. For 2 of our 3 days at the hotel we never needed the car. The main attractions in downtown are only a short walk away. We also never had trouble finding a parking spot once we did leave. The garage is several levels high with hundreds of spots if not more.

The hotel is across the street from the Aquarium, Centennial Park and World of Coca Cola. CNN Center is 2 blocks away (which has a very large food court if you're interested), while the heart of downtown is probably only about 4-5 blocks away. The hotel is located in an area of downtown that I would consider one of the safest. We saw dozens & dozens of families walking around the area at all hours of the day. Police & security presence was visible everywhere so we never felt the slightest bit of danger during any of our walks. The grounds of the Coke and Aquarium sites even have a sort of Disney feel to them. Lots of flowers and interesting landscaping that has been nicely maintained.

The hotel has an indoor/outdoor pool on the 7th level. From up there, you also get some great views of the city from above.

Over all, the hotel was very clean, close to the main attractions and had some of the nicest staff workers we've ever encountered. Everyone working at the hotel seemed to really be proud of their establishment and their city.

Would highly recommend this place for visiting families. Kids will not be bored.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing downtown. The buildings are most impressive at night.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Harman H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. With such a thorough review, it's no surprise that you are a Top Contributor and seasoned traveler! For travelers who may not be at all familiar with our area or what to expect, your review is sure to paint an accurate picture.

We appreciate you giving us an opportunity to serve you and your family during your vacation. Should your future plans include a trip to downtown Atlanta, we'd love to have you stay with us again.

Fairhope
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staff was great, room was nice and clean. Pool/weight room area was excellent. Restaurant and bar (Legal Seafood) was busy, but the food was outstanding. Numerous other restaurants and bars right outside the doors. Walking distance to the Aquarium, World of Coke and other downtown attractions. Very accessible to almost any event in Atlanta due to its central location. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review you gave us. We are glad to know that you were pleased with your accommodations as well as the location of the property. Legal Seafood is well known for having some of the very best seafood in town and their passion for food spills over into their wonderful service. I'll be sure to share your feedback with their General Manager and her team.

I'm happy to know that you'd love to stay with us again. Surely, you will be welcomed with open arms!

In Service,

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

If you're used to spending higher dollars for convenience in large cities, then the Garden Inn was reasonable. It was directly across the street from the Georgia Aquarium and on the back side are some of the best restaurants in Georgia/USA, including Der Biergarten (already reviewed). The staff was quick and professional and met all our needs. The full buffet breakfast was not over-priced and had all the standard fare along with a short-order cook for those special egg/omelet requests. I would certainly go there again for any stay involving the aquarium, Coke museum, Olympic park, etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. Your review is sure to help future guests who want to know what our area is like. Der Biergarten is very popular among our travelers. The atmosphere was simply amazing during World Cup and our guests raved about how much fun they had.

There's no doubt that our omelets are great, but if I could make one recommendation, I would have you try our french toast! It's out of this world.

Perhaps you'll give it a try on your next visit. Thank you again for staying with us.

Safe Travels,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We chose this hotel because it was in the heart of downtown - within walking distance to the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, CNN, Georgia Tech and Centennial Park. Never needed our car once we arrived. Breakfast was hearty ($12.95pp) but kids 12 and under eat for free. Indoor and outdoor pool on the 7th floor was perfect after a day of sightseeing. Ms. Jean Marie at the front desk provided Southern hospitality with a smile and great information on places to eat, driving directions and help getting a minor repair made in our room. Highly recommend this location for ease of seeing the downtown area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shannon B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. We're very happy to know that the location allowed you and your family to enjoy all of the neighborhood's attractions. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to Ms. Jean. She'll be glad to know that you enjoyed her recommendations. As our most tenured Front Desk Team member, she is a great source of information for our guests, and we're proud that she's a part of our team.

We hope to host you again on your next trip to Atlanta. Thank you again for choosing us.

Deltona, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for the weekend of July 4th because of its proximity to Centennial park. Hotel staff was awesome. Manager on Duty was the best. Valet Parking manager was not. Valet Parking attendant burned out my clutch to the tune of $2500. I will never valet park my car again. I can give the hotel 5 stars, but I warn everyone not to allow the valet service access to your vehicle if you drive a manual transmission.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Harman H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your interactions with the staff and the manager of duty. I must admit that your comments about one of the valet attendants causing extensive damage to your vehicle was very concerning. Our valet parking area begins only one level above the hotel entrance. With such a short drive, damaging a clutch would require substantial effort (and ill-will) neither of which I would suspect based on our mission to provide our guests with a stellar hotel experience from start to finish. Rest assured that every valet attendant is well trained to operate both manual and automatic transmissions on the vast majority of automobiles - including luxury brands like Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, Audi and Porsche.

Please feel free to contact me on my direct line to discuss this issue further. I can be reached at 404-704-8042.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown for a weekend following a business trip.
The hotel is perfectly situated for the main Atlanta attraction : Aquarium, CNN and World of Coca Cola.

I had one of the city view rooms with great views over the Aquarium and the rest of the city. The room was simple but very comfortable.
The hotel has a swimming pool, which was very good with the hot weather! There are also some good restaurants around.

Staff were also very helpful for giving sightseeing advice.

I would definitely stay there again if I ever go back to Atlanta.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

We're glad to know that your experience would lead you to return for a second visit. Service is a labor of love and our gratification comes from feedback like yours. Thank you for allowing us the pleasure of serving you during a weekend of fun following your business trip.