“Re-proposing after 25 years”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #50 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 September 2011

It was a surprise trip that I planed at the last minute. I had been thinking of proposing to my wife ( again ) after 25 years of marriage. I picked the Ellis because of a referral from a friend.
I made a call after booking the room online, to get some info about the surrounding area and restaurants. The girl one the phone, who I later met, was so helpful, she gave me choices and then made the reservation for me.
Upon arrival we were greater by the valet who was very nice and showed us into the hotel.
Inside everything was perfect the staff was top notch and I will defenetly return for a longer stay. There is not enough good things I can say about the Ellis and it's staff.
Thank you guys for everything you did for my wife and I . You guys are the best

1  Thank Eloy F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Older hotel with a nice update...small rooms due to age. Very helpful front desk and great bartender. Chef/cook of the restaurant wasn't available when it opened and breakfast was ridiculously late. This was not acceptable as I was there for a convention and did not have time to eat elsewhere...waitress was doing her best with no food but it was just crazy. I did enjoy my stay but for the cost I may go elsewhere next time where the chef can show up to cook breakfast.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the 2 streets, mine had a brickwall view.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Although we live just a few miles away we stayed at the Ellis for 2 nights while our floors were being redone.

A few pluses for OOT visitors: Across the street from a MARTA station, walking distance to those attractions I think visitors may like, a few miles to midtown and Piedmont Park, relatively close to the airport without being at the airport (which is bleak in terms of services outside of a hotel), near the major highways running through Atlanta.

The rooms are not huge but more than adequate for 2 for a few days. If you want a quieter room, ask for one not facing Peachtree. Downtown is dead at night but traffic starts fairly early.

The food at the Terrace restauant was delicious!

However, some of the negatives included: A front desk staff that copped an attitude upon check-in and while I was searching for a sweater I left in the restaurant. The issue at check in was a 'listening' problem and not comprehending when I said my SO had already checked in, not that we weren't staying in the same room. The sweater issue really irked me since the gentleman at the front desk didn't want to be bothered with making a few phone calls and tracking down my sweater (which I knew was somewhere, just not where).

The A/C was a bit of an annoyance. It ran on high and was very noisy and while it did offer some relief, it didn't work well.

The service at the restaurant was slow to say the least. If you are in any sort of a hurry, find some place else to grab a bite. Even trying to get extra lime for my drink was a trying experience and it seemed everyone else around us was having the same issues. Not sure exactly what the cause was but it seems to be a slow kitchen combined with some basic organization that is lacking (like having limes in the bar at 7:30PM). While our waiter was pleasant I think things were out of his control regarding service.

Although our experience was adequate, especially for what we needed it to be, the next time we need to move out for a few days we'll probably head towards Midtown and try our luck there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
tlyon-mercado, General Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

We are so disappointed to read of the challenges you described in your review. I truly apologize for seemingly lack of care and focus you experienced at the hand of several of our associates.

We take your feedback very seriously and review it with staff so they know that they need to be on point 100% of the time for all our guests. Be assured your review will be read aloud at all shift meetings so all are aware of your comments.

I hope that you will reconsider your choice to not return in the future and when you do, find these shortcomings, corrected.

Thank you for your business and for your candid response. We appreciate it.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

My wife and I had to go to Atlanta for a family wedding. The Ellis was one of the choices made by the bride. We are world travelers and have stayed in some fabulous hotels overseas (generally better than what we find in the States).
To our delighted surprise the Ellis was a European transplant.
The facilities had a modern European feel. The service was outstanding and highly personalized and incredibly friendly....truly matching the reputation of southern hospitality and charm. Everything about the place was wonderful.
I understand it is privately owned...it showed in the intricate details designed to make our stay seemlessly nice. Even the room maids were solicitous and charming.
It is across the street from the Ritz Carlton, which I consider the best chain in the country...I would choose The Ellis over them every time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband I just celebrated our newborn's 2 month birthday. With her finally being able to sleep, we decided to share her with the grandparents and have a night away from home as a treat. Since we didn't want to go too far we took advantage of a groupon deal and stayed in town at the Ellis hotel. Valet parking was convenient and hassle free. We were pleased from the moment we arrived to the time we departed. The staff was exceptional. The rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. We enjoyed dinner, a wine tasting, and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It was a wonderful night on the town and the venue did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up to enjoy the Atlanta view
2  Thank LaureneHamilton
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This reminds me of a New York hotel. The rooms are smaller because the building is older, but they are sleek and modern. I highly recommend the women's floor if you are traveling alone and female. Staff is very responsive. The Terrace Dining Room has excellent local sourcing and great food. Dinner on the balcony feels a little New Orleans-like. Ritz Carlton is right across the street. The valet guys are terrific too. This will be a place I will come back to when I'm on business in Atlanta.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The Ellis was our first stop in the US after a long flight from Holland. I'm glad we booked this hotel and treated ourselves to a deluxe room. The room was spacious, tastefully decorated and the bed very comfortable. However, I wouldn't describe it as a boutique hotel. It was quite generic...
The hotel has a good location. It's in walking distance from main attractions like the Coca Cola museum, the Georgia Aquarium and the CNN building. There's all so some restaurants (like Hard Rock Cafe) down the street.
I would like to especially mention the great service of the personnel. Very friendly and extremely helpful!
Cons: parking is expensive! You pay 23 dollars a day for valet at the hotel, which we found too expensive. So we parked ourselves in the garage down the street, but ended up paying almost the same. Absolutely ridiculous, especially because you only pay 15 dollars for a lost parking ticket!
Another con for us was that there was no fridge in the room. I think there should always be one in a deluxe room.
But all in all would recommend the place!

Room Tip: treat yourseleve and go for the deluxe room
1  Thank ichristiani