“Skip this hotel!!! Pick another.”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #44 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel was unclean, loud, abd service was poor. Despite the great location, this hotel isn't worth staying at. The walls were paper thin, volume on remote was broke, thermostat was broken and my $25 breakfast came with a piece of toast. It is extremely over priced for what your getting. Other hotels around tbd area are better.

• Stayed: March 2013
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Good Afternoon, I was quite distressed to read that you had such a poor experience here at the Ellis Hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize, as that was not the way we typically take care of our guests. I would like to have a chance to rebuild your trust in our hotel and invite you back to enjoy a complimentary one night stay. Please contact me directly to discuss.
Olya Rostova

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed at the Ellis early march on a business trip. Location is good, rooms are great- especially the bathroom.
Only complaint from a business traveller perspective is that breakfast only starts at 7 and takes a while to get going. The breakfast staff were really helpful but I think the breakfast experience could be made "Sharper" as time is always tight in the morning. If i was using the hotel for a holiday it would have been no sweat.

Nonetheless, a good find.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TopFrog
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear TopFrog, thank you for your recent stay with us-I'm glad you enjoyed the location, our rooms and staff. I apologize your breakfast experience wasn't sharp enough-our Terrace Bistro is a new addition to the hotel but are off to a great start and will be sharp before we know it:) We hope to see you next time you're in Atlanta, whether on business or leisure.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I stayed here for a night about two weeks ago, and I was very impressed with the customer service right off the bat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room, while small, was very well laid out and felt much larger than it was. I loved the shower and the amount of counter space in the bathroom. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear GBE_in_NC,
It was our true pleasure to have you as a guest and we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return to Atlanta and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Booked this hotel to get my wife out of the house have a good meal and get some piece and quiet. All happened but the latter.
First I would like say the rooms are small but updated and clean, very comfortable bed, and a decent size bathroom with shower only. The hotel is small so the bar, lobby and restaurant are small. The staff was ok with the exception of the bellman who was great and should be given a managers position for his courtesey and professionalism.
Now the bad... and I will say it is not all the hotels fault. They are doing street construction outside and have laid down metal plates. Everytime a car goes over it it sounds like 2 gunshots. We were on the 8th floor and it sounded like it was just outside. if i had been on a lower floor I would have asked for my money back.The HVAC system is very loud so I turned it to auto(big mistake as it at least is loud white noise and may have masked other noise) Besides the construction and the cab driver fight at 4 am the plumbing was very loud. Everytime a toilet flushed around us it woke us up. Also the shower which has a nice shower head and pressure leaked out on the bath floor and in gallons (bad door seal). Like I said nice hotel with some noise issues. The windows should have more noise proofing.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the front side of the building until street constuction is complete. Keep the HAVC sy...
1  Thank Ross S

Dear rwsdsc1 ,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the kind words about our staff and rooms. We're also unhappy about the construction and all the noise that comes with it; however we're glad to be a part of Atlanta's success and are being patient as the city is undergoing the Street Car project.
I see that your experience was not as peaceful as it should have been and I would like to correct that. We would like to invite you back when construction is completed to enjoy the true Ellis experience-all about relaxation and good sleep! Please contact me next time you're planning a trip to Atlanta.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

My boyfriend, my mom, her boyfriend, and myself attended the Beer, bourbon, and BBQ festival in Atlantic Station and living in the suburbs we decided to book a hotel to stay in that night. The Ellis staff greeted us with a million smiles and watched our luggage even though we couldn't check in until after the festival was over. Marta was so close that it was easy to get around Atlanta without having to drive and there are a million restaurants and things to do within walking distance. We stayed in a sectioned off area so each couple had their own room but then we could shut off those two rooms from the hallway. It was incredibly convenient and safe feeling. The room was spacious with very comfy beds. I would absolutely stay again because the service was amazing and the rooms are beautiful.

Dear Samantha A,
I'm glad you had a great time at the BBQ festival and were able to get around town with ease. I agree-the Premium Double and the King room combo is a great option when traveling in groups. Thank you very much for the kind words about our staff-we will be glad to have you back soon!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Wonderful experience at the Ellis. Room was comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. A bit on the smaller size but you are staying in the city. The staff members were wonderful to interact with. We asked directions to the arena and the valet actually walked a block with us to be sure we were heading in the right direction. I hope the Ellis maintains the good rates. I will be able to talk my husband into coming back here if so. If not, he will want to stay at the CNN Center or the Omni.

Room Tip: I asked to stay on a high floor due to the construction. I still heard the noise even on the 16th fl...

Dear jinpink ,
I was delighted to hear you and your husband had a great stay. We will be glad to have you back soon: our website always offers the best available rates, guaranteed room type, as well as additional amenities you can arrange for that I'm sure your husband will enjoy:)
Thank you for the kind words and for your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

we stayed here for a weekend while in town for a concert. i booked directly through the hotel and chose it because of it's downtown location and proximity to phillips arena. i just wish that when i booked it, they had advised me of the construction going on right outside the hotel on the street below. when we got there, one of the lanes in front of the hotel was closed for the road work going on. it made it confusing for us to figure out how to valet park. there is no front door "pull in" to park, check in and hand the car over to the valet nor did we see any signage. So, we parked in the garage ourselves and made the walk to the hotel. It would have been nice to have the hotel pay for the parking garage. The worst part is that we were woken up in the wee hours of the morning on a saturday to a jackhammer and all kinds of beeping sounds from equipment. then at 4 a.m. on Sunday morning, the cabbies wanted to get into a horn blowing, yelling argument because one of them was blocking the one lane that was open. on top of all of this, the AC/heating unit sounded like a freight train coming through every time it kicked on. this was a birthday weekend for my husband and he made the comment to me on the way home that this was one of his least favorite hotel experiences. we didn't sleep very much at all and ended our trip early to come on home because we were so tired. it made me feel awful for him.

another problem for us was that the walls were super thin. we heard the people in the adjacent room like they were standing in our bathroom.

on a positive note, the staff at this hotel was above and beyond and exuded southern hospitality. when we checked in, they wished my husband a happy birthday and one of the employees sang to him. they were all very helpful. when we called to ask if we could change rooms to the other side of the hotel, they were willing to accomodate, but the rooms on the other side were all king rooms and we needed a double room due to another guest being with us. i will also say that this hotel is very clean.

we realize that the road work and the noise outside is out of this hotel's control, but I do think they could have given us a heads up when booking so that we could have decided if we wanted to come back another time or offered to knock something off of the rate because of not informing us.

if you are going for a special occasion, i would definitely call and ask if the road work is done before you book.

1  Thank lindsay5402

Dear lindsay5402 ,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your husband's birthday and please accept my apologies that he did not enjoy his hotel experience. We are patiently awaiting for Atlanta street car project to be completed as well, and gladly this stage of construction work on Ellis street is complete. We would love to have you back so that you can experience the Ellis the way so many do-all about good sleep and rest. Please let us know when you're planning your next trip to Atlanta.