“Independent boutique hotel in heart of downtown Atlanta”
Review of Ellis Hotel

Ellis Hotel
Ranked #48 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, CA
“Independent boutique hotel in heart of downtown Atlanta”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my 3rd time at the Ellis and for a downtown Atlanta hotel for the rates they offer, it was very good. There are areas that need fine tuning for sure (in 4 days housekeeping forgot to remove my breakfast tray once and never left caffeinated coffee for the little coffee maker, room service forgot my morning coffee once and another time forgot the mug). It was all sorted out quickly and painlessly though. I prefer the rooms at the front (ending in 07), I had one back in December where the AC/heating was on all the time and the shower only had HOT water, no cold but they moved me out to another (better) room as soon as I mentioned it to them.
Whilst they're not perfect I really appreciate that they're not part of a chain, their rates are excellent, I love the location and I feel they do try. The bistro has great food (would love some additional gluten free options) and excellent service. I tried getting around the $20+ per day valet charge by parking the car myself in the same parking structure down the street and it was the SAME PRICE!! There's just not a lot of parking options downtown and I noticed other, larger, chain hotels also charge similar rates. The hotel is perfectly situated to get to the plethora of wonderful restaurants and bars due east in Inman Park area (just 8 mins away) or the freeway for going north or south. I see no reason to go anywhere else and will continue to stay there whenever I'm in Atlanta (frequently).

Room Tip: Although I like the rooms facing Peachtree, there is currently construction for the new trolley line...
1 Thank ExpatinLA
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to post about your experience. I apologize that we missed a few details during your last stay-I will certaily bring it up to the housekeeping and food and beverage directors. We certainly hope to see you again soon. Please feel free to contact me directly to request a specific room-I will do everything possible to make sure your stay is perfect next time.
Olya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Finnish first
Burgas, Bulgaria
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I like the hotel very much, it is located at a very central place, near all interesting places in Atlanta. The rooms are just fine, clean and the staff is great. I really enjoyed the stay there. The metro station is (Peachtree center) is 50 meters down the street, very comfortable when coming directly from the airport.

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your stay with us and for the kind words about the hotel and our staff. I'm glad you found our location to be convenient.
I hope that you keep us in mind next time you're in Atlanta.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Downtown Atlanta doesn't have a lot of great hotel options, and the Ellis Hotel is a decent choice. It's clear that the hotel is struggling with an old building with smallish rooms, and there's only so much you can do about that. My room was small—even by New York City standards—and the bathroom dated from the days when all hotel bathrooms were small. Other than that it was tastefully decorated and comfortable. The biggest downside was the heating/cooling system. Although it claimed to have heating and cooling options and a thermostat, in fact it only had two settings: (1) off and (2) constant air conditioning, which would drive the temperature down to 63 degrees or so. The service was very friendly, but there were no rooms available until early afternoon. The bar was small and functional. I ate at the restaurant on a previous visit and recall that it was pretty good.

1 Thank shirleyotis
Good evening,
Thank you for sharing your experience and for pointing out the friendliness of our staff.
I apologize that we didn't have a room avalable for an early check-in. I would also like to apologize for the air conditioning not functioning properly in your room. Please feel free to contact me directly next time you're in Atlanta and I will make sure your stay is excellent and the temperature in the room is confortable.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel bills itself as being a luxury hotel and I am going to respectfully disagree with it. We booked it as a 4 star boutique hotel and while it may be boutique, there were a number of areas where it fell short of four stars.

- Upon our arrival to the room, the toiletries had been previously opened, and presumably used.
- Our shower/tub combination failed to drain properly while showering and did not have the ability to redirect the water from the shower head so there would be no bath. Kind of awful to someone who likes to take baths on vacation.
- They have room temperature Ellis water in your room ($2) however on our floor there was a Coca-Cola machine where you could get ice cold water for $1.50. Although I wonder why there was a can of caulk on top of it?
- The wifi has spotty service at times but it's free so who cares!
- I had heard things about the valet's commitment to timely service and as such we avoided the potential delays from it and the downtown valet price of $30/night by self parking at our favorite lot a half-block away from the Hyatt Regency for $18/night with in/out privileges. One time we had walked by the valet people and heard some expletives within their conversation - that's not a four-star valet, just saying.
- Our room faced a wall, but someone's room had to, right?

The hotel wasn't awful but it was certainly not the best I've had in downtown Atlanta. I likely will not return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing peachtree if you don't want to look outside and see a wall Don't pay...
Green Features: It's nice that they're going the extra mile, I haven't noticed any green features however.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Ellis gave us the best rate on a room in Atlanta. Got to the location and was greeted by a very professional, friendly staff. Went out for dinner a few times in Atlanta and then ate at the bistro in the Ellis and soon realized that we should have been eating here the whole time. GREAT FOOD GREAT STAFF. I will come again.

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Older hotel that has had major modernisation. Reception area well designed. Average size room, very comfortable bed. We were in Atlanta for less than 24 hours so difficult to comment on location other than short walk to Coca Cola world. Reception staff and parking valet very helpful. Probably a bit overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 May 2014

After reading reviews I chose not to do Valet, and just walked a few blocks and self parked- which ended up being fine but didn't save us more than a few dollars total.

The front desk staff was very pleasant and accommodating. We checked-in almost 2 hours early, and gladly waited 10 minutes for them to clean the room. Every staff we encountered was very polite-except for the housekeeping on the 16th floor. We had requested new pillow shams after finding hair shortly upon arrival, and maybe she was having a rough day...because she was not welcoming or polite by any means. She also knocked on our door about 15 minutes prior to check-out (even though we still had the "do not disturb" sign on the door) and after answering the door she says "just checking to see if you'd checked-out".

Not a huge deal, we were still enjoying our stay. We were in a corner room on the 16th floor and had a great view! Bed was comfortable, and we enjoyed the higher quality touches in the bathroom with the tiled shower.

The location is fabulous and very convenient to a lot of restaurants and activities nearby.

Aside from the one grouchy housekeeper- our stay was wonderful!

Room Tip: corner suites are great-higher floors have the best views!
Green Features: very cool to see places advocating "green"
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple