“Perfect Little Hotel Gem!”
Review of The Ellis Hotel

The Ellis Hotel
Ranked #43 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I couldn't be happier that I found the Ellis! One of my close friends just moved down to Atlanta, and I plan on visiting often. I will always book with this hotel. All of the staff members were friendly and made the whole experience stress free. From checking in to checking out, everything was pleasant. The room was clean and the lobby area also welcoming and warm. There are many larger/corporate hotels in the nearby area and I prefer a smaller, boutique setting. It makes the whole experience much warmer. Highly Recommend!

Room Tip: Stayed on the 7th floor and had no problems at all!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your stay with us back and July and for sharing your experience. I'm glad you felt the warmth that some boutique hotels possess-that's certainly something we try to achieve with every guest and take pride in. I hope you choose to stay with us again next time you're in Atlanta.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My fiancé and I were visiting Atlanta for the first time and wanted to stay downtown in close proximity to everything. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and looking at the hotel site, we were very excited to find such a beautiful boutique hotel downtown for a great price.

The friendly staff, the location and price were the only positives from the Ellis Hotel. My fiancé and I both travel frequently for work and leisure and have stayed in many hotels throughout the country and internationally. This by far, was the WORST hotel experience we both have encountered.

When we arrived, the valet was very friendly and helped unload all of our bags onto the cart. There was really no other parking option besides valet so we were almost forced to use the $25 a night valet parking. We then preceded to check in for our two night stay. The rate that we booked for the two nights was not the amount that the Ellis Hotel had. Luckily, we had the email confirmation showing the amount we booked the two nights for. The front desk receptionist then gave us the room rate we originally had. She wrote down the room number and gave us two room keys after taking both of our licenses and then returning to us. We went up the room she gave us only to find out that the keys she gave us did not work. My fiancé went back downstairs to have this problem fixed. When he came back up with a technician we entered the room only to find out that it was already occupied. There were open suitcases and it was obvious this was not our room. Thank goodness no one was in the room at the night as it was 11:00 p.m. when when we entered! It only gets worse from here……

The technician called down to the front desk to inform them that this was not our room and to find out where we were supposed to be. The woman at the front desk apologized and said we were supposed to be in 1006 not 1003. The technician then helped move our luggage to the correct room and used a master key to let us in the room. The room was average. Nice bathroom and shower. However the AC was not working properly. The temperature was set at 72 but it was very stuffy, as though the air circulation was not good. We did have a nice corner room with a lot of windows and natural light.

The next morning my fiancé realized he stuck his license inside the initial set of room keys card holder. When we went to the front desk to retrieve the license, they informed us that the technician threw the keys away which also meant his license was thrown away too. We realized this was a mistake. However, had we not have been assigned an incorrect room this would have never happened. I spoke to one manager who told me she was sorry and offered to give us complimentary continental breakfast for the "inconvenience". Of course, I declined this offer because we felt this was not good enough for the mistakes their staff had made in less than 24 hours of being at their hotel. We waited to speak with a different manager as this one was not trying to help us out.

The final day of our stay, we got the bill under our door and noticed that the hotel charged us $204 for a Aerus Fresh air environment room which we did not have. The room rate should have been $159 for a King Premium room. Immediately my fiancé went downstairs to the front desk to speak with the manager and dispute the room charges and the fact that his staff issued the wrong room and lost his license. After a good hour speaking with the manager about all of our issues we encountered, the manager gave us 50% off of our bill. The manager offered to comp us another night at the Ellis Hotel, but my fiancé kindly told him we would never return to this hotel. This manager, Tom, was very nice and helpful and he thanked my fiancé for being calm throughout all of these problems.

When I got home, I made sure to check my credit card activity to make sure the hotel charged us the correct amount. Not surprised to find out that there were two charges that cleared (not pending) on my credit card statement for over $600 from the Ellis Hotel. I immediately called the hotel and they informed us that there was something wrong with their VISA credit card machine and that they issued a credit two days ago. The lady I spoke with said to call my credit card company and they should be able to see the transaction. So I did just that and there was no credit issued by Ellis Hotel. Needless to say, I disputed this with my credit card company and they removed the amount that was not supposed to be there. When I called the Ellis Hotel back, she said that the hotel issued this credit on 7/16 and an email was sent to us showing the confirmation of this credit. We never received an email on 7/16 from the Ellis Hotel. This was a lie because just as we hung up we received an email with the receipt dated 7/19 at 3:27 p.m. from the Ellis Hotel which means someone sent that over when I hung up the phone with them not when they initially said it was sent.

Two other issues we encountered (as well as many other guests) was the key cards not working in the elevator and spotty WiFi. Almost every time we went to use the key card in the elevator to get up to the room, it would not work and we had to get out and have the front desk reactivate the card. Like I mentioned this happened with almost every guest we encountered in the lobby or in the elevator. Very inconvenient to constantly have to go to the front desk to get the key to work just to get up to your room. Every time we entered our hotel room, I had to reconnect to the WiFi.

Overall, this was the worst hotel experience and I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone staying in downtown Atlanta. I truly hope that no one ever has a to experience what my fiancé and I did at the Ellis Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eliza M

Good Afternoon,
I wanted to apologize again for sending you to the wrong room and for the billing issues that took place. I also wanted to reassure you that this is certainly not how we do business. We have investigated this internally and the problem has been corrected. I realize that this doesn't change your experience, but I just wanted to let you know that it's been addressed. I hope we provided you with a satisfacroty resolution when you were checking out.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Prime location for getting around downtown. Small boutique type hotel with friendly staff. Rooms were clean and spacious for standard rooms. No real parking, and your better off using the valet. Quick easy check in and out.

• Stayed: February 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your experience. I was glad to hear you enjoyed the convenience of valet parking and you found the hotel to be a good value. I hope we see you again as our guest in the nearest future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Probably close to a 4. Smaller clean rooms, it is an older property so the room size was not a surprise. Very nice staff applies to every staff member we passed or talked to. Convenient downtown location.

Room Tip: We stayed on scent free floor, allergy friendly. Slight up tick in price. O
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles K

Good Afternoon,
Thank you very much for your stay with us and for the kind words about our staff. We certainly hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel is in a prime location in downtown, 4 minute walk to Atlanta Mart. The few issues I encountered. My room was on the side of the hotel facing the neighboring building. Absolutely no light coming in my room. Even with 3 lights on inside the room at 11am you would think its evening. Lighting is absolutely terrible in the room (bathroom lighting is fine). Temperature control had a mind of its own, room was freezing or hot. Room is otherwise comfortable. Breakfast options were good, but expensive (an omlette and a fruit cup for $30). Was here on business, but would have made room changes if here on pleasure. Staff is absolutely great, super friendly.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the building so you can get natural light
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent stay with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your the friendliness of the staff and the convenience of the location. I apologize that we didn't ask you whether you prefered a room with a view/more light-please let us know next time and we will make sure you love your room! We certainly hope to have you back as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjoyed staying at the hotel. The rooms were on the small side but nicely decorated. They supplied soft bath robes. The wifi was good through out the hotel and FREE. I dined in the attached restaurant a few times and the food was okay and not too expensive. They had good specials. What really made this such a good visit was the staff. They were super helpful. I had shipped two HUGE packages and they stored it for me and brought it to my room. At the end on my visit, when I had to ship it all back out, they helped me plan the pick up, and made sure they were picked up. Very helpful! I would def stay here again. It was a convenient location to the Amerimart. The only downside was I had trouble sleeping. There was a lot of noise outside at night.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor. Street noise was very loud!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your stay with us back in July. I was glad to hear your enjoyed the accommodations and, most importantly, the staff. I will share your review with them.
We hope to have you as our guest again in the future, whether you travel on business or pleasure.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

A historic property on Peachtree in the heart of downtown, just 6 blocks from major attractions, yet far enough away from the crowds and noise. The staff was friendly, fun, professional, yet light-hearted. The rooms were small, but nice and very comfortable. The service made this a top stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Olya R, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us-I was delighted to hear you enjoyed the service and the location-I cannot wait to share your review with the rest of the team! I hope we can have you as our guest again soon.