“nice accommodations. service so-so”
Review of Ellis Hotel

Ellis Hotel
Ranked #46 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

ellis has all the trappings one has come to expect of a "urban, modern, boutique hotel". however, the service and basic attention-to-detail need a little work. the location cannot be beat if you want to be in the heart of downtown atlanta, and the price would be great if the service were a tad better. all service staff had a positive attitude and we're happy to address my concerns, although a hotel shouldn't have to be reminded that a bed requires sheets... or that staff shouldn't use guests' electronics while cleaning the room...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shea C
Olya R, Front Office Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review-your feedback is very important to us. I'm glad you enjoyed the location and the positive attitudes you received from the staff. I was concerned to learn that housekeeping staff used the electronics while servicing your room and didn't provide sheets. Please accept my sincere apology. This is certainly not the standart here and will be addressed immediately.
I hope you choose to stay with us again next time you're in Atlanta, whether for business or pleasure.

There are newer reviews for Ellis Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is an excellent boutique hotel conveniently located. I will stay here again. The rooms are large and well appointed, the staff delivers excellent customer service with grace, and you can get to attractions, transportation, food, and major freeways with little effort. We were planning to stay at the Marriott Marquis for a convention. I am thankful that my secretary read the reviews on that hotel and found the Ellis (.2 miles away). While attending the convention during the day time we heard a number of complaints from hotel guests about the Marriott's service. ( I noticed it was very crowded and the escalator was broken. It was not fixed for days.)

At the Ellis we received personalized service. One of the front desk employees, Semhar, seemed to know who we were before we arrived. She was on the phone with a customer and she did something I wish everyone would do: She put them on hold and immediately attended to customers who were right in front of her. She greeted us with a smile and checked us in immediately. Every special request we tendered before we arrived was noted by her. Another employee, Valerie, was also very courteous and attentive to our needs. She greeted us regularly with a smile. All of the staff from the valet to the concierge was fantastic.

The rooms are nicely decorated and they have wonderfully smelling toiletries and nice towels. The only difficulty I encountered was learning to work the air conditioning unit properly. The display is small and selecting the "fan" setting can be challenging. This could be corrected by displaying an operating guide on the wall. Overall, I give the Ellis high marks.

Jackie Lacey
Los Angeles

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that doesn't have a window facing Peachtree Street if you are sensitive t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank laceydamom

Dear Ms. Lacey,
Thank you very much for the kind words about the property and our staff-I can't wait to share your review with Semhar and Valerie! It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I cartainly hope we get another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Olya and Front Desk team

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

From the valet parking attendant not at desk sitting texting to the dining staff to intrested in flirting with women. The service was mediocre at best. Front desk was great. They need a manager for service.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank James S

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your feedback. I am very sorry the impression we made on you during your stay. I will reach out to you to ask for any details you may be able to provide regarding the service you received.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A wonderful little gem of a hotel located in downtown Atlanta and just a 10 minute walk to the World Congress Center. I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. The room was a bit on the small side and the carpet looked old but that didn't bother me since everything else in the room and the bathroom was impeccably clean. The bed was such a highlight, just the right amount of softness in the mattress topper and a ton of pillows of varying firmness. I got incredible sleep here. Suzanne checked me in and her cheerfulness was just such a breath of fresh air after a long flight.
In short: This hotel is great value and you will sleep well here - something that's important if you are going to be on your feet all day at a convention. The front desk is reliably friendly and helpful. It's also super close to a waffle house.
The only cons are the ratty looking carpet and the limited number of free television channels. Breakfast is also nothing to shout about.
For a quiet room try 1602.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Melanie L

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your room, our staff and those amazing beds:) I will share this review with Suzanne-she will be delighted you mentioned her name! I certainly hope we have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My in laws, my 2 year old daughter and I just stayed two nights here for a wedding at 200 Peachtree. This place is fantastic! Besides its obvious great location and modern decor, the staff is phenomenal! I truly can't say enough about them! The valet parking attendants were polite and even went back to my car for an item I had accidentally left. They did it will a smile and were so courteous! The front desk and room service were great with our requests for extra towels and blankets. They were prompt and so friendly. My key didn't work the second night we stayed, so one of the lobby staff gentlemen walked my daughter and I up to our room using his keys to let us on the elevator and in our room. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff was cordial. The one person that really exceeded my expectations was a young, nice looking African American young man who works in the Bistro at night. There is no micro-fridge in the hotel, so I didn't have any milk for my daughter. I went to him with a sippy cup and asked if I could purchase a milk and he told me not to worry and filled our milk cup. The next night I went to buy a milk and a water. He met us at the entrance and asked where our milk cup was before we even asked. He had recognized us from the first night. He gave us a water and a milk in to go cups. Although the entire experience was excellent, I must say when we return to this hotel, it will be largely because of the over the top hospitality of this young man! I DEFINITELY recommend this hotel!!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank KristinGautam

Good Afternoon,
It was a true pleasure to have you and your daughter as our guests, as well as the rest of the wedding party! Thank you so much for the kind words-it means a lot to us...I can't wait to share your review with the rest of the team! We certainly hope we see you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I visited the Ellis hotel in March of 2014. I had planned to stay with my friend at her place but some unforeseen circumstances left us looking for a hotel some time after midnight. I was calling hotels left and right and no one had a decent price for the night or space. I called the Ellis and they had both. I didn't expect much as I was wondering why they were still available and I typically only do big chain hotels to be safe. I was pleasantly surprised by the staff who at 1 a.m. was still welcoming and polite and immediately made me feel like I should have called them first. The room was spacious and modern and had the most comfortable bed I've ever been in. The room didn't really have much of a view from where we were but the bathroom had a nice view of the skyline. I'd say the only downside was how much trouble it was for us to find it but maybe we just weren't used to the Atlanta streets. Either way, if the price is right I would definitely go back to my new hidden treasure, the Ellis hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for posting about your experience-I'm glad you found us so late at night while looking for a place to stay. Thank you for the kind words about the hotel and the staff-I'm excited we became your "hidden treasure":) We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I arrived at the Ellis Hotel in late June for a 4-day stay. I knew when I crossed the threshold, this was going to be a great stay! The employees were friendly and helpful...they always greeted me with a smile and asked about the conference I was attending at the Convention Center each day. I appreciated the building security (the room key provides access to the front door and the floors via the elevator). I was amazed at how QUIET this hotel was day and night; in fact, I thought I had the whole building to myself! The room was small but lovely and provided everything I needed (comfortable bed, cable tv, large closet, work area and an amazing shower!). The entire facility was clean and the room service was outstanding--and quick! I am a picky eater but loved my healthy green salad (and salty sweet potato fries!). It’s a short walk to a variety of restaurants and a convenience store for water and snacks. I couldn’t find any shopping nearby but did take MARTA (right beside the hotel) to Lenox Square for some treasures! I love the “boutique” hotels and the quiet they provide in a noisy city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your stay with us in June and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I'm glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and were able to ejoy the quietness or the room. I hope we see you again when you're in Atlanta again, whether for business or leisure.