“Absolutely fantastic!”

Ellis Hotel
Ranked #48 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My husband and I stayed there three nights. The hotel staff was a breath of fresh air, from the bellmen to the chef. The rooms were clean, fresh and turn down service each night. I can't explain how fabulous the food was, except that you need to try everything on the menu at least once LOL. Especially the Amish Chicken! The Ellis really made our trip worthwhile. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 June 2009

My girlfriend and I decided to come to Atlanta for a quick one night stay to take in the sights as we drove to see her family. Having been to Atlanta before I knew I wanted to stay on Peachtree, but was unsure if it would be budget friendly. Luckily, I found the Elllis. When I saw the price I was unsure if it was a] located farther down peachtree than where I wanted or b] a dump with a good location. Located across the street from the Ritz Carlton Atlanta and a block from the Westin, you could not have asked for a better location. Once I found out that the location was great I was very worried that we would arrive and it would have some flaws. There were none. We were greeted immediately, more like the staff wanted to speak to us rather than they felt as if it was their job. We were led up to our room, which was great. I had read some reviews that it was small but was pleasantly surprised to find a rather large room. The shower was amazing. We only stayed for one night but I wish we could have stayed longer. The overall boutique theme of the hotel was pulled of nicely as the furniture was very modern and classy. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively low budget this is perfect for you. If you are a traveler looking for a great place on a relatively high budget, save your money, this is perfect for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I must say that I chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. I typically prefer the Westin, Marriott, Embassy Suites, Hiltons, etc. but I thought I would give this boutique hotel a chance. I reserved two adjoining rooms for four nights because they only offered Jr. Suites and there were three of us (me, my husband and teen son). Don’t waste your time, these rooms are so small that it didn’t make a difference we were still sitting on top of one another and walking into one another.

Well, I learned quickly that the "southern hospitality" facade is only extended until you say "NO THANK YOU". We were told when we made the reservations about the parking garage behind the hotel so considering we had driven 11 hours and it was our first visit (we didn't know the hotel nor the area) we immediately parked there and walked the 1/2 block up to the hotel with our luggage... the doorman almost attacked us as we approached the door to grab our luggage and we said "no thank you" and we proceeded to walk in because we were right in front of the door. Considering the fact that this is such a small hotel that when you step into the lobby the front desk is right there and when you step off the elevator to your floor, your room is right there, this service is really not needed (how about a pool and room service), but even if it was larger we said NO thank you... he went further to sarcastically say "and you didn't valet" as if we were too cheap. Immediately we were "put off" because he followed us into the lobby and kept prancing around the little lobby as if he couldn't wait for us to get on the elevator to discuss us with the two other employees working the lobby (the icebox at the front desk and the part- time concierge).
On a better note – our best experiences were with those that were not natives to the south: William, (Front desk), Laemlak (Valet) and Troy (Bellman). We were very fortunate to encounter these gentlemen and thank goodness they worked the shifts where we were either coming or going. William was FULL of hospitality and just genuinely warm, Laemlak parked or retrieved our SUV once we were advised on the valet service and was VERY personable and helpful with directions and informative on ATL happenings and Troy was just always available for whatever you needed, directions, advice on ATL, insights on where to go, where to eat, etc. Troy graciously tried to divert me to the individual responsible for advice (concierge) as if he might get in trouble for going above and beyond his job or offering the wrong advice, but I assured him that I wanted advice based on his ATL experience and that there was no need to TRACK her down for something as simple as a restaurant recommendation. Concierge was rarely in the lobby.
Last but not least:
Housekeeping - We left a tip for housekeeping with the hopes that she would do a good job… NOT! If she put her cell phone down long enough she probably could have cleaned the room properly. It wasn’t enough that I left the card out indicating that she didn’t have to change the sheets, to help them stay “green”. She half cleaned one room and skipped my adjoining room all together, so I had to call. Her excuse was the door was locked… “hello” they were adjoining suites where we had the interior doors propped wide open. SECOND, management should tell her that if you reserve two rooms for four nights, you are entitled to soap/shower gel each night. One shower gel per room doesn’t last four days; especially not the quality of shower gel provided. By the 3rd night I put up the do not disturb sign, I didn’t even want her in the room until I was gone, it was just a waste of time.
Room Service: Do they offer it OR not? I had to call to ask for a menu because there are no menus in the rooms.
HVAC – LOUD, LOUD and LOUD and it’s either ON or OFF because AUTO does not work or it’s not properly calibrated (did I already say that the blower was ridiculously loud) and there are no fans/vents in the restrooms.
INTERNET – it worked an hour only on the first day…. Don’t advertise free wireless high speed internet if it doesn’t work. I called the 800# and the front desk and they blamed each other for the problem and as of my last day it still did not work
Location – SEEDY….oh my, homeless people are standing around peddling and street lighting is poor. There was no way that we were going to walk the ½ block from the parking garage at night, regardless of the price of valet because the Ellis is not in a great location. The Ritz Carlton is directly across the street, leading one to believe that it’s “probably” a nice area, well the Ritz appears a little “shabby” too so don’t be fooled. Stay closer to the higher end (1000 to 1600) Peachtree and off the lower end if you can.

If you have to offer ear plugs, it's the first clue that there's a problem indoors with the noisy staff in the hall OR the traffic/peddlers right outside the hotel.

MY FAVORITE: They charged me twice for both rooms….. Mgmt was immediately available when I called and said that it should be corrected within 24 hours….. we’ll see.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Neeta2
Reviewed 2 June 2009

The Ellis Hotel in downtown Atlanta has a great restaurant, the "Terrace". It is a delightful place to have lunch. The hotel decour is modern, crisp and definately has a European flair. But the service is southern hospitality that will win you over. Arrived at the Terrace for lunch and was pleasantely surprised. Along with their full size menu there are great small and lite plates for lunch which are bursting with flavor. You will not resist eating every bite of the mac and cheese. We also had the crab cakes and salad all excellant. Would recommend this hotel and restaurant for any occasion. Valet parking is a plus also. Sandy S

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2009

It took me a minute to find the hotel, not because it wasn't visable but I put the wrong address in the gps, so I called and the front desk clerk, WIlliam, was very helpful in guiding me into the right direction. Once we arrived we was greeted by the valet clerk, who was helpful and polite, and the bells man came out to get our bags. This was my first time staying downtown so I wasn't use to all this wonderful treatment. The foyer to the lobby was nice and the lobby had a nice layout. William checked us in and informed us of the policys. We stayed on the 12th floor. The bells man brought our bags up to the room and was helpful in telling us where the good places were to eat and have fun.

Some of the reviews stated the rooms were small but the room, junior suite, we had was very spacious. The beds were comfortable. the bathroom was nice, the sofa was nice and soft, had a flat screen tv and 3 big windows. The shower was wonderful, I wanted to take it home. It wasn't too hard or too soft. There was a nice window in the bathroom. Everything was clean and set up nice. They even had some jazz music going.

No matter what time we came in the person in the looby always greeted us and it didn't feel forced. We didn't eat at the restaurant there but we did go to the wine tasting and set outside on the balcony. It had been raining off and on but the breeze just made the balcony so enjoyable. They light the stair at night with some soft red candles.

There is nothing bad I can say about the hotel. It was in the perfect location, the Marta station was right next door, all the nice restuarants were in walking distance and the underground wasn't too far. We paid half as much as you would for the Ritz, which was right across the street, and got better service.

I would tell anybody to stay at this hotel. I have found a new place to stay in Atlanta.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
tlyon-mercado, Director of Sales & Marketing at Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2009

Thank you so much for posting a review. We take these very serioulsy, and share with our all our staff. We very much appreciate the kind words regarding William and all the staff members you encountered during your visit with us. We look forward to your return visit in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 19 May 2009

Ahh where to begin?...I love this hotel. The staff is genuinely very friendly, they will drop whatever they are doing to converse with you and make sure you are enjoying your stay and finding everywhere you need to go in the city and will suggest cool places to check out. The rooms are decorated just awesome!...You feel like you should be paying more than you really are for it. The Ellis is within walking distance of everything and the MARTA Peachtree station is right there beside it. Book a junior suite if you can, its well worth the extra money. I need an excuse to go back to Atlanta so I can stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for posting a review. We take these very seriously, and very much appreciate the feedback. We share with the staff and they will be pleased to know they assisted in making your stay enjoyable.
When your travel plans call to be in Atlanta, we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 19 May 2009

On a recent visit to Atlanta, we were pleasantly surprised by our stay at this hotel. There really isn't a single thing that we can complain about. The hotel was recently renovated and therefore had the feeling of a brand new hotel. Our room was extremely clean, smelt fresh, had modern decor, with a fantastic king-size bed that I wanted to take home. The bathroom was also refurbished with a modern cabinet and sink, and the shower in a word . . . awesome!
The location was our biggest deciding fact when making this reservation and we could not have done any better than this. Directly to the right of the front door was the underground train system and there was a secure parking garage directly behind the hotel that charged $15.00 a day (24hrs)-great for the location. Also within walking distance are many of the major tourist attractions (CNN tour, Coca-Cola Museum, etc.).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple