“Boutique hotel at a great price.”
Review of Ellis Hotel

Ellis Hotel
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
tybee island, ga
“Boutique hotel at a great price.”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My husband and I and another couple went to Atlanta for a Braves vs Yankees game. Since we were only going to be in town one night we wanted a hotel convenient to the stadium at a good rate. The Ellis was WONDERFUL! We were greeted by a friendly and outgoing staff. We felt very welcome immediately. Our rooms were chic yet comfortable. The bed was amazing!!!!!!! The rooms do not have a fridge or a microwave which was fine for us. We typically don't use them anyway. There is a Hard Rock Cafe close by which was another good experience. This hotel is a gem. At a rate of $111 for what I would definitely call a chich boutique hotel we will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovinlivinintyb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I must say that this is the best stay I have ever had in Atlanta!

I typically travel several times a month and most of my encounters are less than stellar. On this occasion, I had searched for a reasonably priced hotel in downtown Atlanta area. During my search, I found the cheapest cheap (~$65) and the most expensive (over $250). I settled on the Ellis Hotel because of the good reviews and an overall decent price ($111). I found that this hotel was very clean and centrally located. The employees were very accommodating and were very personable. I especially must commend William who gave me some great suggestions for dinner. William exemplified the true essence of Southern hospitality. I was asked several times if I was enjoying my stay and if there was anything he could do for me. I was impressed! The Ellis is situated diagonally from the Ritz Carlton and truly competes on quality. It doesn't have everything the Ritz does, but it is close.

I will be staying at the Ellis from this point forward. It is truly a great hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Cary, NC
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Since this was our first visit to Atlanta, I booked this hotel for 2 nights based on tripadvisor reviews, so I had high expectations. We arrived late at night and were surprised to find the lobby doors locked. The bellman had to run upstairs but quickly came back to let us in. It was difficult to decline help for our bags, so I just let him, but I really didn't need help with a small suitcase on wheels and prefer the option of carrying my own bags. We soon learned why the doors are locked at 10:00 pm, to keep out the riff raff on the streets; this could be a good or bad thing depending on how you interpret it. The lobby, room and bathroom were all very elegant and modern, but also very small, ok, part of being in a big city. While the bed looked comfortable, it was too soft and I woke up with a very sore back. Had to sleep in the opposite direction the second night. No fans in the bathroom. The toilet was loud, as well as the A/C. We had to turn it off to sleep. This combined with some (Peachtree) street noise is not good if you're a light sleeper. Interesting that they have free earplugs at the front desk (only noticed them when I was checking out). The internet in the business center was down and didn't come back the next day; instead the TV also went out. On the plus side, the concierge was very helpful for recommendations and directions, I heard there's daily wine tasting, it's a non-smoking hotel, and there's a floor for women only (you have to use your room key to access your floor from the elevator). Valet parking is $22/night with in/out privileges. We didn't need in/out privileges, so parking in the public lot right behind the hotel was more economical. We had breakfast at the Corner Bakery Cafe a couple blocks down Peachtree at Baker (closed Sun) and also at a diner a couple blocks away, both decent economical choices. If you can handle the homeless people, the location is good for many of the tourist spots.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I went to a conference and stayed at the Ellis for three nights- what a fantastic experience I must say- best hotel I've stayed in in quite a while...It very much deserves is high ranking, and value wise it's unbeatable. Close to everything too.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This was the first trip and first impression of Atlanta and it was disappointing. The Lobby was absolutely beautiful and elegant so we had high expectations of our room and when we got to it we were mistakenly disappointed. The so called "Suit" was not vacuumed, there was no microwave, nor did the air conditioner work well at all. Our view out the window was a brick wall. The desk staff was undermanned and hard to check-in, but they were very professional about what they had to do. They did not know too much about the local area and that was frustrating as well. There are many other choices right around the same area that were in much better condition and were more pleasant. Avoid this one if possible.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank asbs
Munich, Bavaria
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I never write reviews...but The Ellis was awesome. I booked it for $111 per night direct from the hotel website, an awesome price for downtown. The rooms are stylish and the beds were amazing and had 6 quality pillows on each. The location is great. Each person I encountered from the staff from the front desk, to the bartender, to the service and cleaning staff spoke directly to me and were all super friendly. My friend and I decided to walk to a 24 hour diner down the street at about 1 a.m. The security gard was outside the front door and offered to walk us there. He assured us it was not un-safe, but why take a chance. He left us the number to the hotel and told us to call when we were finished eating if we wanted him to come and escort us back. The outdoor terrace is really cute and nice for relaxing with a drink and people watching.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed this June at the Ellis, and by arrival we enjoyed a very warm welcome. The Check in was very smooth and did not take any time at all, by the time I check in our Suitcases were loaded up and on their way to the Room. I have to admit the room was small, but in a city like Atlanta who stays in his room all day. There is so much to see and do that the only time you should be able to see your Room is when you go back and sleep.
Otherwise, the only downside of the Hotel and we tried it just ones was there in house Restaurant. I recommend staying away from it, unless you are a fan to look for your meal with a Microscope. The Servings are small but very pricy, and not the best either. Do yourself a favor, there is Hard Rock Coffee, a Mexican & Brazilian Restaurant just across and of course a Hooters just 5 min. walk away from the Hotel…and as we all know…the Atmosphere at Hard Rock is phenomenal and you are not going back to the hotel hungry….
In all I give this Hotel…a 9 out of 10. Cleanliness, Friendliness & helpfulness of the Staff working here are by far above exceptional. Just stay away from the Restaurant…unless you are a gourmet and like small portions for a big price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple