“Emory Visit”

The University Inn at Emory
Ranked #5 of 22 Atlanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I arrived in the dark and had to find my way to the room (which was a basement style room) with its own front door and a small window, and was situated a good bit away from the Main Reception. I had a friend with me BUT if I had been alone I would not have liked this!. The room smelt musty and there were a couple of 'bug' things that the vacuum had missed. However, although the room could have done with a few touches to make it more homely - it was fine for my visit. It was a budget room! I did mention the smell and floor and next day and it was given a really good clean and I got an apology. I found the Inn a lovely homely place to be - the staff were very friendly and I felt really safe. The surroundings were lovely and I enjoyed my little walk to the breakfast room in the morning past squirrels racing up the trees! The breakfast was a basic DIY continental but I loved it. There were things that would improve the basic room I had with a sofa bed but I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to people. Excellent location. It would take much for me to have given this accommodation an excellent rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Shiku, Guest Relations Manager at The University Inn at Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I remember you and glad that you generally were happy with the Inn. I know that you had the worst room in the Guest House. I'm sorry that that was all we had to offer during your stay. You noted that you were budget conscious which drove the choice to that room. I hope next time we can offer something more suitable. Thank you for allowing us to serve you.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our room was rather spacious and quiet. We requested a room away from stairs, ice machines, elevators (didn't see an elevator - don't know if they even have one) and they were able to do that for us, so that was helpful.

There were two comfortable wing chairs, a desk and two chairs with that. Beds were so-so. Bath linens were fluffy but not soft. The microwave was located on top of the refrigerator and they were in the area by the lav (which was a little odd). No table nearby them.

The rooms have direct access to the outside - so not much 'security'. We didn't use the pool (closed for winter), or the washer and dryer - which is outside and kind of in the stairway. The complimentary breakfast was typical, but the room seemed small - maybe because it is located in the 'house' part of the Inn and 'cozily' seats about 20 people.

This hotel is a little outdated - which to me made it 'seem' dirty. We chose it, and would choose it again, mainly because it was not too far from family we were visiting.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WantsAnUpgrade

Thank you for your review and thank you for allowing us to serve you. I wanted to let you know that we are planning renovations in the near future, so hopefully when you visit again, we can offer something more updated. Your opinion matters to us.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this hotel a 10. Service is excellent and it is very clean. I have never stayed at anyplace and felt so at home as I did here. I loved the fact that it is in walking distance of the Emory hospital too. My Husband was a patient there for almost 30 days. I really felt safe and comfortable there. They have a great continental breakfast and have a happy hour in the afternoon so you can unwind after a day of sitting in the hospital. I actually felt sad leaving this morning, but I've already got reservations for my Husbands next trip to Emory. Looking forward to seeing the University Inn Staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sheryl B

We very much enjoyed having you. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit and hope all is going well.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Nice location and excellent quality for the price. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful time staying here with our son; the crib was in the room upon arrival and if we needed anything, the staff was always eager to help. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GHP2013

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are glad you chose us for your visit to Atlanta. It is most important to us that we service our guests well. We hope to serve you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

I recently stayed at this inn with 2 friends, from the outside it looked like any middle of the road motel, however, after stepping into the room we quickly changed our mind, my friend lifted the bedskirt on one of the beds, there was a large wad of dried tobacco chew stuck to the bed frame, Oh it gets better, we looked behind the bed to find that a new ocket was installed in the wall, why clean up the sand, plaster and sand mound on th floor that was every bit 5 inches, high, the carpeting was stained, so there was no barefoot happening on that rug, when I went to take a shower I ran the water turned it on shower and the whole insert of the shower head flew with force and hit the shower wall on the other side good thing i wasn't standing in the shower, then I went to put it back in and the screw fell out! I would avoid this place at all cost!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jilll770
Shiku, Guest Relations Manager at The University Inn at Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Hello -

We see your comments about us. I am very sorry that your stay was not what you had hoped for. I would like to ask which room and on what dates did you stay with us. I will notify our maintenance staff as soon as we know which room is involved, and it is helpful to know the dates so that we can address the cleanliness issue with both housekeeping and the maintenance manager.

I would appreciate receiving any information or feedback you have. I can be reached at shirley@univinn.com or by phone 1.800.654.8591 ext 518. I am the manager over guest services and will consider a refund of room charges once I know which room and dates are involved. Your feedback is very important to us.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

The University Inn at Emory is an exceptional establishment; providing excellent customer service and warm reception. The staff was outstanding in regard to providing information as well as accommodation. I highly recommend the Emory University Inn to future students.

Room Tip: Excellent location-very close to the Emory University campus.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Thank Emory Universit... S
Shiku, Guest Relations Manager at The University Inn at Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for your response. We enjoyed having you as our guest. If we can be of service to you in the future, please let us know.

Best regards

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Location is excellent for visiting my son. However, the room was filthy. When plugging in computer behind nightstand, noted it had not been vacuumed in a decade. There were 5 lights in the room... 2 had burned out bulbs. Requested new light bulbs. 2 replaced while we were out. The third, the reading light by the bed was not. The bathroom flourescent was barely lighting (constant dark flicker), so we used the heat lamp for lighting. The TP roll was low when we arrived and there was no extra roll to be had. Apparently, housekeeping at this motel is a thing of the past for the beds were not made up the first morning nor was new linen provided. The computer went off line at 8:30 PM and stayed off. Do not know when it came back on.

The rating of two was given only because the desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The warm cookies are excellent and the continental breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kris k
Shiku, Guest Relations Manager at The University Inn at Emory, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Thank you for your comments. It is certainly understandable that you were unhappy with the events you have noted. Please know that we will address these issues. I have sent you an email from TripAdvisor with my contact information (email and phone) which I am hoping to communicate with you so that I can appropriately address your message.