“good hotel + great attitude, but bedbugs”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Northwest at SunTrust Park
Ranked #6 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
San Diego, California
“good hotel + great attitude, but bedbugs”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed here for 7 nights after reading other reviews, and was also genuinely impressed with the responsiveness and courtesy of the staff. I should have said something to the front desk about my bed, but it was late in my stay when I realized I was being attacked by bed bugs. In all my years of travelling, I've never experienced anything like this, but 22 bedbug bites later, and two weeks after checking out, I'm still suffering. Nothwithstanding & otherwise a good hotel, but don't take room 328. Good breakfast, and this might be the only Country Inn that has offered a wine/beer social M-Th.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank Lawrence C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We booked into this hotel for a two night stay.
We got there in the late afternoon in time to be treated to the manager's "cocktail and snacks" treat. It was well presented and there was nothing like a glass of wine and some cheese before we settled in.
The room was very nice but the pillows were down and my wife is allergic to them. There was one polyester filled pillow in the dresser so I went to the desk and asked for a couple more.
The desk attendent check for more but they were already checked out.
As this discussion was taking place, the facilities engineers walked up and heard my sigh. He said he would go and check for more so I
waited at the desk. When he returned he asked how many did I want and I replied three. He asked the attendent to get my room number and that he would be back in a couple of minutes.
He went out to a store and bought three pillows and brought them to the room and said " have a good night!".
This person was the benchmark for customer service.
All of the employees were very nice, but Daniel was tops.
Every thing at this hotel was very well done and I will stay there
every time that I am in the Atlanta area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CayAcosta
Cordele, Georgia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed at this hotel for only one night, 5/1/2010, but now wished we had booked a longer stay! This hotel was just what we wanted/needed. As a family of 5, much less with 2 kids 2 and under, it's not always easy to feel welcomed or comfortable in a hotel. This hotel was the exception! Hotel lobby was pretty, not overdone. Staff was always helpful and friendly. Room gave us plenty of space. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Felt more than comfortable letting kids play on floor. We booked a 2 queen bed suite- the first room upon entry had a sitting chair, couch (that also could have been let out as a bed), desk and office chair, TV, microwave, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, and sink. There was also a bathroom located in this room. In the adjoining room there were the 2 queen beds, TV, sitting chair, and another bathroom. There were closets in both rooms and I did notice an ironing board. I am thinking this would also be an excellent place to stay in the future as our children get older as they would make more use of the 2nd bathroom. We really only had need for one at this point. This is probably the first hotel in which I haven't had to request extra towels! There were 4 big bath towels in each bathroom, 2 washcloths in each, and 2 handtowels in each. More than enough even for our brood! We checked in around 5:30PM and had no problems with the check-in process. We as a family utilized the swimming pool that night. Water temperature in heated pool was perfect. On shallow end, depth is 3 feet. Deep end of pool is 6 feet. There is a rope dividing the shallow end with the deeper end. There is no lifeguard on duty so mind your own children at all times! We (adults) also took a quick dip in the whirlpool/jacuzzi located near the pool before going back to the room. Water there was much hotter. Wonderful for adults to unwind, but not appropriate for young kids. There were towels provided as well as a convenient bathroom in a room immediately proceeding the entrance to the pool area, which I thought was nice. We did pass by the fitness center on way to the pool but did not use it during our stay. It seemed to be nice with TV inside. I noticed there was also a lending library located at elevator area where you could borrow a book and return before check-out. This seemed a nice feature but was not used due to time constraints of trip. Free high speed internet available and was used without difficulty. We ate breakfast that was served buffet style in lobby the next morning. We arrived for breakfast around 9AM, breakfast is served until 10:30AM on weekends and holidays. I felt like you couldn't have asked for a better breakfast that was free to boot! There are many hotels cutting this service to save costs but I am so glad this one hasn't. There was a wide array of choices such as 5 different cereals (like Fruit Loops, Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Frosted Flakes), apples, eggs, biscuits, pastries, a waffle maker with batter machine, toppings for waffles, diced ham, muffins. Way beyond your typical continental breakfast. Coffee available as was milk and fruit juices. We especially enjoyed the Peach Blend juice! I used the waffle maker after following directions and found it easy enough...topped it with syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream. It was delish!! Everyone else seemed to enjoy their breakfast as well. It was a great way to start our day. We checked out immediately after eating and the process took all of 10 seconds. Super fast and easy! Front desk clerk was smiling and friendly. Gave kids peppermint. We actually drove away from our desinations about 11 miles to stay here as we went to Atlanta Zoo, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, and Georgia Aquarium. Happy with that decision. It was quiet here and had free parking. There is also a McDonald's within walking distance. I would stay here again without hesitation!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rikki33
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed 28 March 2010

What can I say...Awesome Hotel. Stayed 3 nights with my wife and 6yr old son. We did the City pass around Atlanta. All the way from check in to check out the service, amenities and food were excellent. Couple that with a Buy 2 Get 1 free, it could not be beat. We had originally gotten a King bed with a pull out couch for my 6yr old son. The lady behind the desk heard me mention that the 2-Queen was not available online when I booked. She also heard my son say he wanted to be on the top floor but the King Rooms with pull outs only went to the 3rd floor...She fixed both problems on the spot by giving us a 2-Queen room on the 5th floor..Outstanding Service!!! Will definitely stay here on my future trips to Atlanta.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bamafamily33
Arkansas
Reviewed 2 January 2010

If I knew every hotel I would ever stay in would be this good for this price, I would be a happy person. The room was clean and comfortable. THE STAFF WAS QUIET SPOKEN AND AMAZINGLY HELPFUL. The breakfast was as good as any quick breakfast and better than most. We stayed four nights while seeing sights in Atlanta. The location is great for that. We came in on I 75 from Chattanooga. We have a six and an eleven year old. They loved the heated pool and since we stayed Sun-Thurs it was a ghost town at the pool. Lots of shopping and eats near by. The beds were comfortable as well. I can't think of any negative. Give this hotel a try. It truly is the best value I have ever found in a hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ArkansasTucker
Virginia
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We took three children six and under to the Georgia Aquarium and Zoo Atlanta and stayed for three nights. The room was spotless, especially the bathroom. The property is older and the decor is a little dated but very well taken care of, very clean in all areas. The kids loved the indoor heated pool. The staff was very friendly and the cookies are awesome. The breakfast was pretty standard fare, it's not Cracker Barrel but plenty of variety and it is free. We got a very good rate from AAA $66.00 dollars a night but would still have been satisfied if it was closer to 100.00. Property is right off I-75 about fifteen minutes outside downtown Atlanta, was very convinient to the attractions. Would stay here again happily.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
OH
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I've stayed here myriad of times for business. I've never been disappointed. Outstanding STAFF!! Gotta' luv those cookies.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business