“Great Staff - Hotel needs work”

Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria
Ranked #74 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Staff - Hotel needs work”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I gave the hotel an average rating but most likely won't stay there again even though the staff was terrific. If I do happen to stay again it will only be because of the staff. This is not a hotel I would recommend to family or friends.

So what's good about the hotel; staff is friendly, helpful and professional; bed was comfortable adn sheets clean, restaurant food is good and seating comfortable with lots of options to include 4 to 5 different table sitting areas, a good sized bar and some lounge areas; lobby is nice and the hotel is clean.

What's not so good; the hotel is old and shows its wear; air conditioner is so loud that I had to turn up the TV to hear it when it came on then turn it down again when it went off; sits right next to I75 which is convenient but there is constant road noise, the small frig in my room was actually sitting on the floor (not attractive); no electrical outlets available by the bed; I had to plug my phone in on the desk which meant I had to get up to answer it and to turn off the alarm, also had to stretch my laptop cord to plug it in, fortunately the room is small so it reached ;)

The hotel should be budget priced. It was not worth the rate I paid. Even though the staff was excellent it was not enough to offset the hotel's bad shape and other issues. By the way, if you do choose to try it out, don't get the breakfast package. You are definitely better off buying your own breakfast from the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The decor was outdated and obvious in need of some renovation. Free WiFi should have been included in the cost of the room. I would stay again at this hotel if none of my usual choices are unavailable because the rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Just a exceptionally well run property. I have stayed twice in the past few months, both were excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Indiana
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel has a nice spacious lobby with computers and a sitting area w/ a TV. There is an indoor/outdoor pool which is great for year round. The workout room was decent with nice equipment. The rooms were pretty basic, bed, desk & chair, and chair w/ plat panel TV. Preety clean. Bath and Body Works toilettries were a nice touch. No fridge or micro and the new fangled one cup at a time coffee maker. The cons were no type of free breakfast, the room service dishes that were in the hall when we checked in were still there when we checked out in several areas. The hotel is right off the higway (I75) with restaurants near by.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is a super hotel in a great location! Super friendly staff, great rooms and very clean. The mattress & pillows were awesome. Would stay here again when visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I hate giving Marriotts bad reviews because I am a huge fan and I go out of my way to stay at the brands whenever possible, but this hotel was a disappointment in many ways. It began with the young woman who checked me in--suffice it to say, she wasn't pleasant. Usually at a Marriott, a pleasant front desk person welcomes you, acknowledges your Silver/Gold/Platnuim status, asks you if you need a wake-up call, etc. Not this time! I was really surprised by the charm-free reception.

As I approached my room, there were a number of used plates and bowls on the hallway floor outside the rooms, including a cereal bowl with dried cheerios in in it outside my own room. In other words, at 4:30 in the afternoon, room service breakfast plates were still lining the hallway. The hallway carpet had not been vaccuumed that day either, that was clear. By the time I got to my room, I was wondering if my room would be clean, and if I actually wanted to stay here or immediately check out.

The room was decorated nicely, but very small. The bed was comfortable. The AC unit was rediculously noisy. I've stayed at Fairfield Inns that are 10 times as welcoming and stylish. When I return to the area, I'll try somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SteelCityCampbells
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Have stayed at this Marriott several times on my trips to the city. It is an older hotel, has small rooms, but fits my needs. Always clean; guest services always professional. AC loud but otherwise no complaints. Will be back

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple