“Delivers under pressure - and them some!”

Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria
Ranked #73 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas
“Delivers under pressure - and them some!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Following is part of the letter that I sent to the regional leadership of the hotel ownership company:

------------

I can only start with how incredibly fortunate you are to have the incredibly compassionate and dedicated staff that you have at this hotel. I arrived on Monday, January 27th for a week of meetings at our Marietta office. When I arrived, the weather forecast called for a severe winter storm for the Atlanta metro area starting Tuesday, but the city did not respond appropriately. I left the office at 6:45 PM on Tuesday, January 28th, and 45 minutes and 1.7 miles later I arrived the hotel. Along the way I encountered a scene that is beyond description. When I arrived at the hotel, the scene was worse. Hundreds of people, forced to abandon their vehicles, sought refuge at your sold out hotel. Rather than turn them away, your staff welcomed them. They worked overtime to provide them food and beverage, and gave them pillows and blankets so they could rest in the best possible comfort – in the lobby, halls, and conference rooms as space would safely allow. They went beyond this by providing power strips to charge their phones. Who would think of this?

The restaurant and bar were packed! But your leadership team was taking our orders and serving our food. I heard that your GM was in the kitchen working alongside of your kitchen staff to make sure your guests (and the stranded) were covered. The next morning I saw the same staff that were taking orders at midnight the previous night that were handling the breakfast crown at 7 AM. Your entire team made sure that we had meeting space and equipment so we could continue our meetings, despite all of the challenges in total. The one thought that passed through my mind – how are these people staying so professional and warmly accommodating on practically little (or actually no) sleep?

That next evening, your leadership team served our team of 20+ people a fantastic dinner. The next day we saw most of the same team members serving breakfast. They again looked as if it were another day at work, and they were happy to have us. I know that they had to be completely exhausted, but it never showed. On top of that, they again set us up so we could conclude our 4 days of meetings. On little notice, they not only delivered, they over delivered.

-------

You can tell I was amazed by the performance of the staff during unprecedented times. Well done!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Tuesday January 28,2104 an unexpected snow storm created havoc in the middle of the afternoon for everyone and the hotel become a safe haven for hundreds of stranded travelers.. The staff on hand never lost it;s composure as this day turned in to a nightmare of epic proportions. The manager on staff (didn't get her name, and believe her to be the shift manager) went so far above and beyond the call of duty, she made her guests both with reservations and those of us that wondered in comfortable and welcome.. No one was turned away, they opened extra restaurant meeting and ballroom space for people to sleep in.and everyone on staff was beyond helpful, professional, and unbelievably accommodating. One can only hope and believe that this staff must provide extraordinary service under normal conditions because they certainly did during this unexpected and unpredictable circumstances. Congratulations to the Marriott and the staff at the Atlanta Marriott NW. hotel.

Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you plan on any peace or quiet M-F 7am-6pm, forget it at this hotel. The hammering and sawing outside my window began before 0800. The smell of gasoline followed shortly after. Apparently, they care more about getting the money from filling the room than they do about the quality of your stay. When I complained, I was compensated with a free cup of coffee. Can you believe it?!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Auntiem99
Daniel F, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Hello Auntiem99 -
My apologies you were woken up by roofing contractors on Monday morning. The roof is part of our $16 million renovation and were unaware they were going to be working on that section of the roof that morning. Additionally, we were advised that they would not start until 9am. I can understand that after an exhausting trip that a little additional sleep would have been nice and to be disturbed is unacceptable. I would like to invite you back in a few months once the renovation is completed to experience our hotel again in a better light.
Williamsville, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I don't normally leave many reviews on hotels, but I felt like I had to give this hotel a break from negative reviews. With this said, I want to express that I normally stay in only 5 star or better hotels, but was placed in this hotel by the Waverly Atlanta after they overbooked their hotel for a convention I was attending. I was nervous because of the negative reviews I read here before I left, but I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the hotel and my room. This hotel is remodeling this year, but it is not dirty and the staff is wonderful. Some things are a bit dated like their hallways, and the bar area, but our room was clean and nice and it had everything we needed for a 2 night stay. They were very accommodating and drove us back and forth to the Waverly in their shuttle as we needed. We ordered room service both nights by hanging our request on the door for breakfast to be delivered each morning and it was sent on time and with a smile from the delivering staff. Bottom line is don't be afraid that your getting a terrible hotel. It may not be a top notch resort Marriott, but it is fine for a weekend, business trip or convention stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 617 and it was clean and comfortable.
1 Thank kimmariec66
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The rooms could use an upgrade. There was a sign in the room that said if the temperature was set below 70 degrees the room would freeze. That being said the hotel staff was very friendly even at 6 AM.

1 Thank Steve T
Hello and thank you for your comments about my team. Our dated rooms are going to be renovated this year beginning in April during our $16 million renovation. When complete we will have a great hotel with great service!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We checked into our room after a long workday and had a bit of a rocky start due to a minor room issue at the hotel. The housekeeping and front desk staff, Bianca, Cystral and Alyssa were awesome. The handled our situation, extended their apologies and gave us complimentary breakfast the next morning. The hotel is very clean, the beds are super comfortable and the staff is the nicest I've met in a long time. I would recommend this hotel for in Atlanta visit!

LaTisha

Oranjestad, Aruba
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel was a good choice. We stayed 4 nights. I have to recommend this hotel for its good service. staff is always willing and helpful. Rooms were small. I thought it would been closer to down town Atlanta but it was approx. 20 minutes. I find that there is not much going on around the hotel itself there is a Pappadeaux restaurant near and some Texmex restaurant but they were full when we went.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Hampton Inn Atlanta - Cumberland Mall / NW
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria

Been to Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria? Share your experiences!