“undergoing significant renovation - what a mess.”

Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria
Ranked #76 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“undergoing significant renovation - what a mess.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

No notification on web site that there is a pretty major renovation going on....Temporary drywall everywhere, plastic on the floors - pretty dirty and pretty loud. Note from the manager thoughtfully suggests that you "please try to plan accordingly"...gee thanks.
Room requested not available, wifi spotty...i should have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Stephanie K, Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
I was sorry to hear that we couldn't impress you more during your visit. I hope you can understand that we're doing these renovations to make our guests' experience even better, but I'm sorry for any inconvenience they caused you. It was not our intention to not communicate them to you, but we appreciate your feedback and will look into better notifying our guests. We know that first impressions can be hard to shake, but I sincerely hope you'll give us another shot once the renovations are done -- I'm confident that we can knock it out of the park for you!

Daniel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a Marriott resort but i never would have known by the staff. I arrived late and am on a medication that I have to take w food. Did not think much about it upon check in. I figured I could grab some crackers out of a vending machine. Got to my room and thought I would give room service a shot. Was told that the kitchen was closed (was closed by one min). My husband saw a staff member in the hall and was told that there were vending machines on the first floor. Went down there and was told at check in desk that there were no vending machines at the hotel but to go the restaurant for snack food. Then went to the restaurant where I was then barked at by the man at the bar that if I wanted food that the kitchen was closed!! Went back to the room and thought that maybe if I called and explained situation to the front desk they could help me somehow....nope....couldn't even be bothered to answer the phone. So we had to get out at close to midnight just so I could get enough food to take my medication. This was ridiculous!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I was truly sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. While it sounds like my team was trying to be helpful, it sounds like there was some misinformation here, and I apologize that we didn't do a better job of communicating where you could get some food. I plan to follow up with my staff about this, but I'm sorry for any inconvenience it caused you. It's our goal to have our guests truly enjoy all the elements of the Marriott experience, so we'll take this feedback and become our best.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here for a week for a baseball tournament held in Emerson, Ga. The hotel is currently under renovation. It was a very busy week, and they were booked solid.

First Impressions: Of the three elevators in the lobby, one was shut down (due to renovations I assume), one was running normally, and one was reserved as a "service elevator" for the workers during the day - although guests did use it and no one stopped them. When I checked in, I was told my room was KING. I adamantly refused to take it because there were 4 of us (orginally 3 of us but I had added someone), and I had booked the room at least 6-8 weeks in advance. I got three different confirmations that my room was a double/double (One from the hotel itself, one from my Marriott rewards, and one from a company managing the housing for the tournament). After telling me there were no other rooms because of the solid booking, they maneuvered a double/double for us. We proceeded to the 9th floor and immediately found an air conditioner that blew warm air. After giving the AC unit 30 minutes to start cooling, we went to the front desk to report it. They moved us (at our request) to a ground floor, pool level room which was handicapped accessible. This was a much nicer room - bigger, with a sliding glass door leading out to the pool area and no elevator necessary. However, the AC unit in here didn't work very well either. For the whole week, it kept the temp at 74-75 degrees. Only one day did it drop to 70 while we were out all day (it wasn't a very sunny day either). As soon as we returned and started moving around it went back up. We didn't want to move rooms again so we ran to a local Walmart and bought two fans. This kept us at least comfortable for the week. A friend was down the hall in another pool level room. His room had obviously been remodeled already and had a great AC unit in the wall. His room was icy cool all week.

The one washer and one dryer was out of service for most of the week. This was hard because the boys' uniforms had to be washed every day. HOwever, they offered uniform washing service for $3. We did use it once or twice and it worked out fine.

The pool area is nice. Indoor/Outdoor pool with lounge chairs by both. The fitness room was pretty good for a hotel. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. The lobby and 'ballroom' areas were beautiful. We had a group breakfast included in our rate which was very nice - eggs, sausage, french toast/pancakes, hash browned potatoes, cereals, yogurt, danish/muffins, juice, coffee, gatorade. The only issue I had was it was the same exact breakfast (except for switching the toast/pancakes) every day for a week. I was craving a toasted bagel or english muffin half way through the week.

The restaurant seemed nice. I didn't eat there but a few in our group did. They reported that the food was tasty but the portions were small. It was also a bit pricey, especially the bar.

By the time we left, the whole lobby was under renovation. I am sure when it is all done, the hotel will be spectacular.

The BEST part of the whole experience were the PEOPLE. We didn't meet ONE nasty person on staff. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. They did everything in their power to satisfy the customer. We were greeted with smiles, waves, and hello's every day - from the maids to the custodians to the front desk. It was a very nice experience.

Clean and friendly - what more could you want??

Room Tip: Ask for a pool level room with direct access to the patio.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you leaving us such a thorough review and all of your understanding as we work through these renovations. Our guests' happiness is our top priority, so we apologize for any inconvenience they caused you. I couldn't be happier to hear, however, that my team was so very friendly and accommodating. We always want our guests to have a truly memorable experience, and it sounds like we hit the mark here. Thank you for sharing you experience, and we hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're visiting Atlanta!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am a Marriott Elite Platinum member who was unfortunate to stay at this property twice in past two weeks - 3 nights and 2 nights respectively. The most unfortunate aspect was that, in spite of my email to Hotel GM (to which he never responded) - there were no changes.

Here is a list of things which went wrong
• There is plastic on my window of which I was not informed – when I checked in, when I inquired I was told “Hotel is under renovation, and I was fortunate to get a newer room compared to other Guests"
• There is no turndown service in the evenings
• There is no newspaper in the morning
• I had TV problems twice
• Your front desk staff on Tuesday, 07/15 around 9 PM was conveniently chatting away to a personal friend, while I and three other customer waited for 15 minutes for the other staff member to handle our queries
• The breakfast at the concierge needs a lot of effort and improvement, Coffee is bad, dirty plates were all over, dirty food carts at the entrance – not acceptable

In my more recent stay, I met a hotel manager on check-in and told him of my experiences in the past week, I was a given a decent room (with no plastics on windows) but the experience continues to be terrible. I requested for some toothpaste in the evening, after 60 minutes I called again and I was told we were busy with too many housekeeping requests. I asked them to please leave it outside my door as it was 10.30 PM. Next morning - no toothpaste, i called them again and finally it took them 20 minutes to deliver it.

The only and the only reason why I would return to this hotel would be because of a true gentleman – ‘Randy’, who serves at the concierge lounge in the evening and because of his warm personality, and sincere dedicated efforts. He genuinely ensures that guests are comfortable and happy in the make shift arrangement.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Stephanie K, Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I appreciate you reaching out here, and was sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stays with us. While I apologize for the inconveniences that are associated with renovating, it's disappointing that many other areas of your stay were off. You should always find our team to be friendly and eager to help, and I'm sorry that you felt we fell short. I would like to take this opportunity to address any further concerns you have, and invite you get in touch with me directly.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
(770) 952-7900
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My son and I stayed at this Marriott as part of a week long baseball tournament in June. The people at the front desk were very helpful and always friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet too! The room we stayed in had very recently been renovated and was beautiful. It was tastefully decorated in an agreeable color palette. I loved the THANN soap products they provided as well. I'm thinking of googling and ordering them, as a matter of fact!

The location was super convient to hop on an off 75, and there were numerous places to eat within walking distance, including my favorite restaurant--Pappacito's. Just across the street were hike and bike trails and there was a mall/movie theater a couple miles down the road.

The downside was that the hotel was under construction when we were there. The entry level to the wing our room was located in was concrete floored with construction materials and workers everywhere. The elevator was also in rough shape. Now, when the elevator opened onto our floor, it was beautiful. So, while not a picture perfect stay, it was deal-able. One concern I mentioned to the front desk was that the doors on the bottom level were propped open for the construction work. I was unclear to me whether they actually were closed (and thus locked) overnight. The area around the hotel did not appear to be a safety risk, but I didn't like thinking just anyone may be able to walk in while I slept.

One improvement I would suggest would be to expand the laundry services. There was one washer and one dryer available (which broke a couple days into our stay). I understand this hotel hosts numerous baseball teams throughout the year and a nice laundry facility would be a huge benefit to everyone!

I would stay again, especially after the renovations are complete. It will be beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stephanie K, Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thanks for giving us such a glowing review! It's great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that all of our amenities were perfect for you. Our customers’ happiness is always top of mind, so it's encouraging to hear when we hit the mark here.

That said, I appreciate your feedback about our laundry facilities. I will certainly look into how we can improve them for all of our teams that come through.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments, and I'm glad that your newly renovated room was so comfortable. We can't wait to welcome you back when all the renovations are done and hear more of your thoughts.

Maryville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My only complaint is that my room was located beside there convention center area, my child had to be up early for a basketball tournament and the music was so loud from the party going on our windows were rattling, called front desk and was told it would last till midnight and nothing they could do but ask them to turn down, 15 mins later volume was turned up and worst. Thank God there wasn't anymore parties going on during my stay. As for the room, very clean and nice comfy beds.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Convention center room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stephanie K, Manager at Atlanta Marriott Northwest at Galleria, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
It's upsetting that the convention center's event disturbed you, but I'm happy that everything else was spot on and you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay. We always want our guests to feel taken care of, and are happy to do what we can to make sure that you have a great experience. Thank you for sharing your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're visiting Atlanta.

Monmouth County, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel is in the midst of a renovation and is a high-rise hotel. We thankfully received an updated room overlooking the pool area on the first floor. The pool is on the small side for a hotel of this size, unless there is an additional elsewhere on the property. Last year my daughter stayed on this same floor/area and it was not updated and she did not enjoy her stay. Ask about renovated rooms if you are staying in the near future. We had 2 double beds which were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the toiletries were higher end. There is a charge for wi-fi unless you are in one of their 2 top-tier rewards levels. Housekeeping was very friendly and the woman we had was very honest - we had to track her down to give her the tip and she explained that she doesn't take it unless there was a note. The young girl who checked us in was very friendly. The woman who checked us out, not so much. It is about 30 minutes from the airport but is in an area with some restaurants and shopping around. My rate was very fair. It's hard to give it a full review because of the renovation but it was acceptable and I would stay again if I was able to secure a good rate.

Room Tip: Ask if room is renovated.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We love hearing back from our guests, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's fantastic that our newly renovated room was so comfortable, and that most our staff was friendly and attentive. I was disappointed that check out wasn't up to this standard, but I'll be sure to follow up with the team so that you're always getting our best. Thanks for sharing your experience here and helping us spread the word, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're visiting Atlanta.