“SCAD "Here we come!"”

Ranked #16 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Singapore
“SCAD "Here we come!"”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

When our daughter was accepted as a Sophomore into SCAD last year, we honestly had never been to Atlanta before. Where do we stay? That was the first question. Searching the internet, we finally decided to book a room at the Artmore through Expedia after having read so many favorable comments from savvy travellers in Trip Advisor.

Initially apprehensive since the hotel was more than 100 years old, our fears quickly dissipated when we first stepped into the hotel in early September 2011. Not only were the lobby, courtyard and bar chic and modern looking, but the rooms were clean, spacious and quiet. To be honest, we booked the 2-bedroom suite at the corner of the top floor and it had the living room (with nice sofa) and open kitchen on the first floor and 2 bedrooms on the upper floor. We were glad that there were 2 bathrooms for the three of us, although the bathroom doors tended to be sticky whenever we closed them and they had to be forced open every single time after use. I reported this to the front desk and they did send someone over to fix it after the first night. Whether or not it was a co-incidence or a case of long term problem, when we went back to the hotel again in November we faced the exact same problem. Mind you, this was in a different room, but of a similar type and layout. Other suggestions for improvement? Well, the retractable shutter screens covering the skylight in the loft rooms were not working well in almost all the bedrooms that we'd ever occupied. Due to gravity (and, probably rough handling), they tend to fall off their tracks easily and do not perform their intended function quite as effectively. Perhaps, the hotel should see to a more permanent solution. One more suggestion, if it is not against Building code, a nice ramp for the wheeling of luggage at the front entrance from kerbside to the front door would be a welcomed addition! Right now, it is no fun (not to mention a strain on our backs) having to lug like a million bags that weigh 50 lbs each up and down the stairs whenever we arrive or depart the hotel.

Other than the above hiccups, we really enjoyed staying at the Artmore for all its unbridled charm of a truly grand, old Dame. It's like coming home away from home after traveling half way round the world to Georgia from Singapore. The beds were comfortable, the wireless internet a breeze, the free drinking water replenished everyday really thoughtful, the MARTA station right across the street a great convenience for getting around the city and seeing the sights. In fact, we liked it so much that we have been back twice as you might have guessed by now.That being said, the highlight of our stay each time must surely be the friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk staff! From sending over to our room more pillows, to giving us directions to SCAD, to offering us tips on where to find the best steaks at the Atlantic Station, hotel staff like Pamela, Annie, Rick and all the guys were simply wonderful and absolutely helpful! Kudos to all of you!

One more thing to share. Due to an administrative mix-up by Expedia, we had to move to the Marriott Atlanta Suites Midtown for just one night in September. It was nice, very modern compared to the Artmore, but we kind of missed the spaciousness and cosiness of the room at the Artmore. Nothing beats character and the warmth and friendliness of the staff when we compared both hotels. Oh, by the way, one of the upside about staying at the Marriott is the proliferation of nice restaurants and F&B places around the hotel like the Bagel diner and the South City Kitchen (southern cuisine) on Crescent Ave. But, you all must come to Singapore because we have the greatest foods in the world, in the cleanest city in the world...even Southern Fried chicken, except, and even I must admit, our bagels are not as nice as the one in Atlanta!

Yes, we will be back at the Artmore again to watch the old movie replays on their TVs starring Audrey Hepburn, James Stewart, Bruce Lee and Gregory Peck sooner than you can say "where in the world is Singapore?".

Room Tip: Loft rooms with 2 bathrooms are great if there are more than two in your party. Take the MARTA. For...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Keltin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew of the Artmore. Everyone here truly enjoyed reading the lovely things you stated about a property of which we are so proud to be a part. Your personal recognitions as well as your intuitive compliments of our hotel truly made this a stand out review. We cherish our guests and strive to always provide a unique boutique experience that exceeds expectation. We do have the fortune to work with a property that is a one of a kind original, that only a seasoned grace can provide. We also appreciate your feedback on the issues with retractable shutters on our skylight windows. We are in the process of replacing them. We are also addressing the sticky door issue.

Again, thank you for for taking the time to note the parts of the Artmore that you love the most. Such a review from an experienced veteran of world travel is truly a feather in our cap. We aprreciate your continued support and patronage of the Artmore while visiting your daughter. Even as you live in Singapore, it is wonderfiul to know when you come to Atlanta - you also feel a little bit of home across the miles.

Regards,

Mara Miller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 January 2012

What a wonderful experience! I recently had to look for an alternate hotel to the hotel I typically book when midtown Atlanta as it was sold out. I could not have been more pleased to have had our company travel agent recomment the Artmore Hotel on West Peachtree. I did not know it was there and have been staying in midtown for going on two years now. My agent advised that I could get on MARTA from inside Hartsfield ariport, which I was also unaware of. I jumped on MARTA and took it straight to Art Center stop. The hotel was across teh street down right about a block. The historic building from the street reminded me of places in Spain or Italy. The lobby was cool, hip however had a very warm laid back feeling. Nicholas at the front desk could not have been more accomodating with my room requests. I let him kinow I liked quiet rooms and he was nice enoughh to share that because it is a historic building I may want a room on the second or third floor on the back side of the hotel although overlooking the courtyard was magical.
The next morning I enjoyed a hot breakfast buffet with real eggs n bacon and fantastic coffee. The next morning I requested a Red Bag Breakfast and took it with me to the office.
They do have a points program too if you like your points....which we all enjoy. The bar was fun and the drinks were fab!!
I met a woman from their marketing department that could not have been more personable! She advised me of great places to shop while I was in town and let me know that massages were also available for appointment.
I did not have time to book but will my next trip. I as delighted by the Artmore and most importantly the staff went out of their way to help me with any request or question. They were just wonderful. I book the Artmore from now on. I m glad the brand I normally stay with was booked as I found the Artmore!

1 Thank Mona L
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed this hotel on our business trip in early Jan 2012. We stayed in one of the loft rooms, which I would recommend.

Be warned, this hotel is over 100yrs old. My wife and I live in a 100 yr old house and really appreciate this sort of thing. Being an older building, the hotel does have its creaks, knocks, and other random noises at night that one would expect from an older building. As we are use to these kinds of sounds, the average person may not.
That beig said, everything else about the hotel was wonderful!
The valet parking was great. The modern lobby was also very cool.

You can't beat the location of this hotel. While you will still need to drive, it is very centrally located to many of the different attractions and good resturants in Atlanta.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would stay again!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Sterlsum
gmartmorehotel, General Manager at Artmore Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Sterlsum,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad that you enjoyed the old world charm of the Artmore and got to see some of the things that make the Artmore a unique place to stay.

Thanks again, and please hurry back!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Noise from everywhere, be sure to get a room on the top level as the floors are wood and creak. Fitness center is bare minimum and old equipment.

Room Tip: Top Floors are a must
1 Thank Robert S
Dear Robert S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I am sorry that your experience was not up to par. I am glad that despite your frustrations with the noise that you still find the hotel’s service and value to be very good. It is a historic building so some of the original aspects poise a challenge and we will note your floor preference into your guest profile. We are working on improvements to our gym also. We look forward to welcoming you back should your future travels bring you through midtown Atlanta to show that we are indeed committed to providing superior personalized service.

Best Regards,

Atmosphere-Relaxing, Cozy and Entertaining
Great Food!
Great Drinks!
Wonderful Staff!

The Artmore is more than I imagined. The atmosphere stood out the most to me. The outdoor courtyard is so beautifully decorated with plush furniture around a warming fire-fountain centerpiece. It is a great place to relax and chit-chat on a warm evening night. I had the opportunity to meet the whole staff and boy were they charming! They made me feel very welcomed and comfortable. They were very helpful, suggesting nearby entertainment and great restaurants. Whether you are planning for a business meeting, romantic weekend, or family getaway, I feel The Artmore has something for everyone. My mother and I had a home-away-from-home experience. I would recommend The Artmore to everyone! It was fabulous.....

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Jessica L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

From every aspect, my stay was a phenomenal experience: The hotel is posh and chic! The staff members are warm and accommodating; so welcoming—felt better than being home!! The bar area is beautiful and convenient. Ohhhhhhh the drinks—delicious and very potent!!! The rooms are comfortable and sumptuously decorated!!!! They have a court yard with an outdoor fireplace and seating—nice bonus!!!!!
PLUS, I was treated to a full body massage while I was there— YES! What a treat: cozy room, soothing music, AND a massage, OMG!! What warm, talented and competent hands I was in!!! I still feel like $3M!!!! Great Ambiance, Great Staff, Great Drinks (BTW—they serve a delicious, full breakfast in the mornings; so Great Food)—which, altogether equals a Phenomenal Hotel!!!!!

2 Thank Cynthia M
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We fell in love with the Artmore Hotel after losing one of our dogs and needing to get away with our other dog for the weekend to mourn. We selected this hotel based on it being dog friendly, less than a mile from Piedmont Park and IKEA. Our first night was spent with a cozy dinner for 3 in their sexy courtyard where a huge fire pit roared and a live jazz band played. What an incredible night! They have an excellent bar where your pooch can also hang out. When the staff manager found out about our loss we were surprised to find a bottle of wine in our room after our walk in the park. The staff is truly there to make you feel so welcome you will not want to leave. They are located in the heart of the arts district so there's lots to see and we were able to walk to amazing restaurants. We can't wait to visit Atlanta and stay at the Artmore again.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size and amenities so ask the front desk to describe the options.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple