“Not your cookie cutter hotel”

Hotel Indigo Atlanta
Ranked #55 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Not your cookie cutter hotel”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

First, let me way, I'm not a picky traveler. As a frequent business traveller, I appreciate the quirkiness of this hotel. The concert / theater vibe of the lobby decor made me smile every time. It's a theme carried over to the unique wall treatment in the room. Yes, the bathrooms are laughably small but again, I enjoy that. Still, the shower stall was oversized. The indigo blue phone was sweet. If hotel noise bothers you, ask for a room away from ice machines, vending machines and the elevator. If the weather is good, there is some lovely outdoor seating at the front of the hotel for some excellent people watching.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor without an ice machine or vending machine if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello there Paula_in_Cincy!
Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay and our hotel during your trip to Atlanta this fall. We love that the design and inspriation of the neighborhood helps create a smile for you. Your tips are right on - I agree the corner rooms are the best - especially the view s of the Fox Theatre, our design inspiration. Hotel Indigo hotels are special places to each of our neighborhoods. Keep looking for more of us - we have almost 60 worldwide now and we are growing fast. In the meantime, pelase come visit us again soon. Safe travels and thank you for your business! Warm regards, Gabriele Webster, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week in Atlanta.

I heard only good thing about this place at first, and my boyfriend was only giving good feedback about this place since he is from Atlanta and many friends told him to stay there.
What a bad surprise when we got there.

And the bad impression started as soon as we entered the hotel. We stood (no joke) 3 full and long awkward minutes in front of the receptionist without him saying a single word or looking at us. I can tell you (We are both issued from the hospitality industry) that 3 minutes are very long, specially when you're the only guest in the lobby. After 3, maybe 4 minutes, the receptionist finally looked at us and say "oh hi sorry, i was busy..." (that's it?). Then he couldn't use a credit card properly. Anyway, we already lost 15min to check-in.

Then we got in the room, small, small room. But it doesn't really matter, I mean it was for a night and being from Europe, I'm used to. For my boyfriend it was a bit more difficult since he is used to big and large American room.
What was gross was the bathroom. It looked really cheap. the bathtub couldn't work properly, you were taking a shower while the bath was filling up because both were working at the same time. the hair-dryer didn't work. We had yellow spot on the ground from the previous guest ( I do not want to know what it was), hair, dust. No shower gel.

Otherwise the hotel was ok, expensive parking ( we paid less at the ritz-carlton in Buckhead) and it's sad that they have this huge AC machine working in the hall on each floor that give a bad and cheap look.

I am sure there is better hotel in midtown for the same price.

By the way, location is very good and midtown is a great place !

Room Tip: Ask to face the street, maybe it's noisy but the parking view is definitely not enjoyable !
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dylan_CH
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Dylan_CH,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, room size and the bathroom condition. we will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Farragut, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel is "hip" and well appointed with some cool looking designs, however I think more time was spent trying to looking cool rather than being a good service hotel. I had several guests from my seminar stay there as well as me. We all had similar complaints and I heard strangers in the elevator complaining of the same thing...unresponsive or forgetful staff. I had negotiated a price and made reservations. I never got the email. I called back weeks later to confirm and the woman confirmed my reservation and again said she would send a new email but I didn't receive it. Even after spelling my name and address phonetically, F as in Frank, S as in Sam and so on to rid our conversation of mistakes, when I got to the hotel I realized my name and thus my email was spelled incorrectly which is why I didn't get it. Not that big a deal, but the price I negotiated was not listed and I had to revisit that conversation and spend extra time checking in.

The bathroom sink did not drain properly and was quick to overfill. I reported it to the front desk but it was not repaired. After changing out of my nice clothes I got down under there and fixed the sink myself. Regarding the bathroom, if you are over 4'9" you are in for a real treat. The size of the bathroom is the smallest I have ever been in since a European trip. Standing between the toilet and the sink, you legs or back will be touching the opposing item. Hitting your head on the edge of the sink while sitting on the toilet is unavoidable without due care.

I find far more value in less "hip" or "cool" places like Holiday Inn Express where you get great service, large rooms and a bountiful warm breakfast for a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Derek P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Derek P,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your comments.

Connie D
Atlanta USA
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

stay elsewhere, there's lots of choice. this is the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life.. I know its a boutique hotel, but this is just not at all comfortable to stay more than just one night. The parking is also $25 a night and its not even valet. Nowhere else to park so add it to your room rate when considering where to stay. I was "upgraded" as a platinum member - yikes, call that an upgrade?

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Expattraveler100 from Atlanta,
It is disappointing to hear there was not anything you liked about your recent visit. I do appreciate you giving us a try and wish we could have better connected with you to deliver the WOW experience our guests typically enjoy when they are welcomed to friendly service and energizing decor that is an homage to our local neighborhood. Thank you for being a Platinum member of IHG Rewards Club, your loyalty to our world-class brands is very much appreciated. I encourage you to try another Hotel Indigo (there are over 50 worldwide!), as we are the world's best boutique brand delivering amazing experiences everyday. Safe travels, Gabriele Webster
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotel describes itself as boutique, but while there was little horrendously wrong with it, there was nothing special either.

This was our first night on a bus tour and when we arrived, the staff seemed a little phased by having 20 or 30 people arrive all at once. The lobby is quite small, and it is evident that this is an old hotel, even despite the bright décor that has been added.

Our room was a corner one, at the front, which meant that we had a reasonable amount of light and we could just see the Fox Theatre if we stood with our noses against the window glass.

The hotel has been around for some time and has supposedly been refurbished, but this seems to have been done on the cheap and is superficial, mainly noticeable in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

The room was small compared to most US hotel rooms but contained two comfortable queen size beds, and standalone desk, chest and wardrobe. These seemed to be old furniture that had been given a lick of paint and a melamine top to the desk. The wardrobe contained just 5 coat hangers, so we had to phone to get more. The floor was wooden (veneer) and was warped in a number of places, as if water had been left on it too long and the air conditioner was so noisy that we had to switch it off at nights, especially since it kept loudly cutting in and out. It was an old box type one under the window and looked like it had seen better days. There was a good coffee maker, but no safe in the room.

I had read that the bathrooms were small, but it would have been impossible to swing a hamster, let alone a cat in ours. I am less than 5' 5" tall, but I could place both hands on the walls, in both directions. I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and nearly knocked myself out on the front of the washbasin as I sat down on the toilet. This must be the only hotel I have been in where you can have a sitting down wash without bringing in a chair. Bizarrely, the shower was fairly large, and looked as if had originally been the space for a tub. I understand that it may be difficult to make the bathrooms larger, but they could be better planned. We stayed recently in a basic chain hotel in the UK, which probably had a smaller floor area in its bathroom area, but it was so cleverly planned that the absolute best was made of the available space.

The second evening we were there, the Indigo managed to cancel the keys belonging to all our tour group. Mercifully, we were half an hour later getting in than everyone else, so we avoided the queue that occurred when everyone went down at the same time to find out what was going on.

There is no restaurant in the hotel and breakfast is served in the bar, where you either have to sit at the counter or at low tables more suited to evening drinking. The serving staff were good and the breakfast was fine for what it was, but a bit on the expensive side. We didn't realise until too late that there was a diner down the street beyond the Fox Theatre and would have gone there if we had realised.

In summary, the hotel was OK for a couple of nights, but I really wouldn't have wanted to stay there any longer - I think I would have developed claustrophobia in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear MJLHoliday,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is unfortunate that we were not able to provide an exemplary experience especially with the condition of the room and its bathroom facility. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Pam G
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I visited this hotel last month while in Atlanta on business. The hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. The breakfast was quite expensive for what you get. The bathroom wasn't so terribly small but there was no counter space to put my toiletry items.

There was no remote control for the TV in my room. When I reported it, the staff saw to it that the remote was in my room when I returned.

It is an old hotel that has been upgraded. While I can't really complain, it just doesn't rate along with the boutique hotel in Dallas and Chicago where I stayed this summer.

Room Tip: Not many restaurants within walking distance..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Dave-Bev from Baltimore,
Thank you for taking time to share your review of our hotel. I appreciate you staying with us and giving us feedback so we can be sure we are always striving to improve our guests' experiences. I am glad we quickly addressed the missing remote, but sorry it was missing to begin with. For your next visit, please ask any of our associates or check our Interactive Media Display in the lobby for great dining recommendations in our neighborhood. We have over 100 dining spots from quick options to cafes to casual and fine dining, all within a few blocks of the hotel. Midtown Atlanta is one of the best dining and night spots in the city and we should have done a better job letting you know all of the wonderful options available. Let me know the next time you will be staying with us and I will send you some great local options and help with reservations and anything else to help make your OK experience turn into a GREAT Indigo Experience. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster PS - bring some Maryland Crab Cakes with you! YUM!
Moultrie, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just got back from another great stay at the Indigo. Super Brad and Eddie impress me more each time I stay there with their spot on customer service. This has become our favorite hotel to stay in. Great location and a very cool vibe. Keep it up guys. You have a customer for life.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi Steve W from Moultrie,
We love hearing we have a custome for life! Thank you! We also appreciate you sharing your experience with the world. We agree, Hotel Indigo Atlana Midtown is our favorite hotel, too! We strive to always deliver the best service and hotel experience in Atlanta. We hope to see you again soon! Warm regards, Gabriele Webster