“nice quirky hotel”

Ranked #51 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Basildon, United Kingdom
“nice quirky hotel”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We enjoyed it here on our tour ot the southern Sights and Sounds but very pricy for our first hotel breakfast on the tour. We had good service if a bit slow, but very friendly. But 2 yogurts with strawberries and granola with tax and tips came to 30 dollars so from then on we cut the tipping down considerably. Actually didn't mean to tip quite so much but change never arrived so had no choice. Rooms very nice and comfortable. You could get your own breakfast items from the fridge in the side of the restaurant and pay for them at reception and take them to eat elsewhere but we didn't know that at the time and we only had the 1 night there Also dining area very small and we were early but later guests must have struggled to find room to eat. Also bathroom very tiny, we are not big so ok but you could sit on the toilet and wash your face in the sink, and I am not joking!

Room Tip: I always think a higher room is quieter but I don't remember what floor we were on
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SheilaH702
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear SheilaH702 from Basildon, United Kingdom -
Hello and thank you! I appreciate you taking time to share your comments about your Indigo Experience whilst traveling with your tour group through the Southern US. It is great to hear you had a good overall experience and enjoyed the hotel. I am sorry about the confusion on your yogurt and final bill. Possibly there was confusion due to the volume of guests. I wish you had an opportunity to let us know whilst here so we could instantly make up for it. If there is anything we can do to help make it right for you, please let us know. Thank you for being our guests and again for sharing your thoughts. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2014

After already spending 10+ nights this year in Indigo properties elsewhere, I was very disappointed overall in this property.

CONS: I travel extensively on the road and try to carry small meals and healthy options with me. This location has no refrigerators in the rooms, and after talking with staff they have been removed. (Had hard time believing this since other views on tripadvisor mentioned an in room fridge) By far the absolute reason why I will not stay here is the size of the bathroom. I could sit on the toilet, brush my teeth in the sink, and wash my feet in the shower- all never moving off the toilet. There isn't a way that this room was acceptable for a couple.

Room had no hair dryer, I actually had to track down a hairdryer (which front desk staff had to go get from another room) so I could get ready for the day. At $179/night - completely unacceptable!

PROS: Nice location midtown, and if you were attending a concert in the facility across the street, it's perfect. Nice to have my car available in the parking lot right behind the building. Nice décor in lobby.

Clearly I will try the Indigo property near the airport next time I am in town.

Room Tip: If there are more than two of you in the room, call hotel in advance to verify size of bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank orreo5859
Dear orreo5859 from Raleigh, North Carolina -
On behlaf of the entire team here at Hotel Indigo, we are sorry you did not enjoy your Indigo Experience. We are are historic property nearly 100 years old, so the bathrooms are petite, but more than functional. In fact, the shower is larger than a residential or standard hotel shower, so we did all we could to allow the most space for the shower. Nonetheless, our rooms did not resonate with you. We do have a number of rooms with a queen bed and a bathroom that is significantly larger. As you know from your travels, each Hotel Indigo is unique taking on the story of each neighborhood to immerse guests in the history and soul of the area. I apologize the hair dryer was missing from your room. From time to time, items do walk off, but we should have noticed before you did, so I am sorry for our oversight. I appreciate your feedback as we use all reviews as opportunities to learn, grow and keeping delivering the best possible service. I do hope you will change your mind about visiting again. If you do, please contact me directly and I will help ensure your experience is one to rave about. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I attended a wedding in Atlanta and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I shared a room with 3 friends.

SPACE: The space in the room was limited with 4 people staying in one room; however, we did not mind as my friends and I spent a lot of time in the lobby area. There is a bar with a TV and great seating. Of less importance but noteworthy, there is a wine vending machine for when the bar is closed; we used it once out of novelty and it was pretty exciting.

PRICE: The price was very affordable, especially with a wedding discount, and I would recommend this hotel just because of price.

LOCATION: I don't know Atlanta well; however, it seemed that this hotel was central to amazing food (Top FLR) and convenient for public transportation.

STAFF: The staff is what made this hotel an outstanding experience. Josh at the reception desk went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. We had a very minor housekeeping issue that we were never going to mention; we were usually in the room when housekeeping arrived so our rooms were never made. We always got towels and toiletries quickly after a request so this was a non-issue (we were 4 women so we would have had to make requests even if our rooms were made). Josh specifically asked how housekeeping was and reduced our bill after we described what happened. I was already happy with our experience but this made our stay even more memorable.

When I return to Atlanta, I will surely stay at Hotel Indigo and I hope Josh is still there!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank abuchanan923
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear abuchanan923 from Chicago, Illinois -
Thank you! On behalf of our entire team, we all appreciate you sharing your personal Hotel Indigo Experience and for being our guest to begin with. It is wonderful to hear Josh took excellent care of you and exceeded your expectations. He is a great member of our team and we are happy to have him leading the charge of taking care of our guests. We look forward to your next visit and delighting you again. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster
Deatsville, Alabama
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival there was frustration with parking. Once the confusion with parking was clarified, we had trouble with the key everyday that we were there. The lobby smelled like a dirty kitchen. Most of the employees were polite. The beds feel like plywood. The bathroom was moldy, dusty and far too small. Had to have security called because of a couple fighting at 2 a.m. The away had dried rice, dog food and someone's fingernail on the carpet. Asked the front desk to handle this. 16 hours later, it was still there. My daughter was trying to grab her shoe that went under the bed. She instead found a broken piece of wood with nails in it. Front desk sas apathetic. There were other issues with hose keeping especially. We decided to get a suite at the hotel next door, as another couple that we had spoken to the evening before in indigo's lobby had decided to do this and were very excited about leaving indigo in the morning. I will post photos of our visit.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladie1980
Dear ladie1980 from Deatsville, Alabama -
Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you experienced whilst staying at our hotel. It is not acceptable to ever give guests a negative impression. Caring is the basis for excellent service, so it is disappointing to hear we did not do this for you. I have addressed this and the housekeeping concerns with our team so we can learn from our mistake and work to be better. We also made significant changes in our housekeeping department that has remedied the problem. I am sorry to you and your family. We want to make it right for you and follow through with our promise to deliver an inspiring and enjoyable Indigo Experience. Please contact me privately to discuss what we can do to make it right for you. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to taking care of you and to earning your loyalty for the future. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was unnecessary waste of money, if you want to stay in Atlanta do NOT stay in this hotel, rooms are extremely small, bathroom is a 5 by 5 feet and there is a shower, toilette and a sink there!!! Parking is extra 25$, cause its midtown ATL whatever that means! View from the room its to someones else window or another building very close your window! Air-conditioning unit is right next to a bed (about foot) so who ever sleeps on that side of a bed will have a hard time adjusting temperature.
Anyway NOT worth the money, you can drive 2 minutes down the road and stay in Hilton Buckhaed for the same price with human size room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank George S
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear George S from Knoxville, Tennessee -
I am sorry to hear your Hotel Indigo Experience was not what we strive to deliver for our guests. The rooms are intimate and cozy and the bathrooms are indeed petite. This is a result of the time when the hotel was built back in the early 1920's. The hotel was one of the first in Atlanta to have bathrooms in each guest room and in keeping with the integrity of the building and our history, they remained as they were with the exception of removing tubs in favor of more spacious showers. The showers now are actually larger than the standard shower/tub combination you find in residential homes. Nonetheless, not everything is for everyone and I respect that your experience was not what you expected. We want all of our guests to fully enjoy themselves and feel comfortable and at home. I am sorry that did not happen with you. Please do check out our other Hotel Indigo locations as all have their own neighborhood story and are unique unto themselves. Thank you for staying with us. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The good:
Great staff - Professional and friendly.
Nice rooms - Small but well-appointed. Big plus for having Aveda products in the shower caddy.
Terrific patio - Jazz band played on Saturday night. Really fun vibe.
Close proximity to everything.

The not-so-good:
Film shoot AND a wedding blocked traffic in front of the hotel and no one at hotel knew what was going on. Circled the hotel for over an hour simply b/c we couldn't get back to our room to change for the evening. Had we known, we'd have had a Plan B and either stayed on Peachtree or taken our clothes with us.

Bathrooms super tiny; shower curtain hadn't been washed in far too long because the whole bathroom smelled like mildew.

Walls thinner than expected for an older (and usually better built) hotel. Woke up at 4AM Saturday morning because the couple next door had just gotten in after a night on the town and didn't go to bed for another hour.

Parking $25 per day

Overall:
I'd consider staying here again but only if I checked with hotel and GA Film Commission first. Apparently, there's filming around the area very frequently because it's both historic and popular--and Peachtree Street is a main artery in Atlanta--so that kind of road block/traffic jam on a street that's always heavily traveled simply should not have happened without someone knowing something. Otherwise, Midtown is a fun part of Atlanta, with Fox Theater across the street and some terrific restaurants up and down Peachtree. Everyone at Hotel Indigo and at Georgian Terrace next door was really friendly, too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne P
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello Anne P from Charlotte, North Carolina -
Thank you! We appreciate you staying with us and are glad to hear you would stay with us again. Parking is always a tough thing in the city. Though $25 might seem a bit expensive, it is right in the middle of prices for the area and $10-$20 less than downtown. Our parking does allow for unlimited in/out and it is covered and has security and very convenient to the hotel. I am sorry the road closure caused an inconvenience to you. You should not have been essentially shut out of the area. I am very sorry. Normally the city and local venues advise us of any traffic concerns or closures and we notify guests. This time we were not notified so it was a surprise for us as well. Nonetheless, I am sorry for the hassle and lack of information. I will reach out to the city and our neighbors to be sure this does not happen again. For your next visit and added privacy, please consider one of our corner king rooms. They offer great views and more solitude for a restful night. Thank you again for staying and sharing. We look forward to your return to the neighborhood. Warm regards, Gabriele Webster
Leesburg
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business purposes and found the hotel to be clean and convenient. While the rooms are somewhat small, it is very indicative of a boutique hotel. The lobby decor is nice with wall coverings featuring plays and musicals that have been presented a the Fox Theater (located directly across the street). Nice bar area downstairs also.
It should be noted that this is a pet-friendly hotel. There was a large (so it sounded) dog next door to me who barked quite a bit when I entered my room. I was not able to hear the dog most of the night. There are many restaurants/bars within walking distance. Will surely stay there again when I head to Midtown.

Room Tip: Great view on Peachtree Street side but a little less noisy on the back side of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank essiefish
WebsterG, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Atlanta, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear essiefish from Leesburg,
Thank you! Reading your review brought a smile to my face and was a great joy to share with our team. We appreciate you rating us 5 out of 5 stars and for being our guest. I am glad to hear you will be back despite some Ruff noise during this visit. When you make your next reservation please send me your confirmation number and I will make sure you have a comfortable and quiet room. You mentioned the decor in the lobby being from shows at the venerable Fox Theatre. Did you also know that the stitching on our bed coverings are inspired by the large onion domes atop the Fox? We have all kinds of curious details throughout the hotel to immerse guests in the Indigo Experience. Thanks again and see you soon! Warm regards, Gabriele Webster