“Beautiful hotel but a smoking room!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #137 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I enjoyed the hotel in general. It was nicely furnished, the breakfast was great, and the bed were comfortable. My only complaint is that I had a reservation for a non smoking room but was given a smoking room. Being that my wife and I are quitters (reformed smokers), being in a smoking room was hard on us both. I would also like to ask, why is it that the more you pay for a hotel room that you also have to pay for the internet?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haroldathampton
EmbassyDOSM, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

We are glad to hear that your overall stay with us was favorable. Our recently renovated accommodations provide an updated and modern feel while also giving the sense of home. As comfort is a paramount reason for some guests utilizing guest lodging facilities we make it a point to have a variety of accommodations. One option is a smoking suite. We do apologize that this was not the most ideal situation for your stay. Rest assured that we make every effort to accommodate each and every guest’s request while here at our hotel. Guest comfort is something that we do not take lightly. We thank you and your wife for working with us and being understanding in accepting the alternative accommodations, and allowing us the opportunity to “WOW” you with our other amenities which includes high speed wireless internet access at a nominal fee.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed at many other Embassy Suites throughout the country and sometimes find them to be in need of updating. This was not the case here. Great location, friendly valet staff, very efficient front desk staff, so all the early indicators were postive. Room was modern with new carpet and flat screen TV. Very clean. It was a particularly busy weekend with weddings and other events on-site, but the staff did a good jo getting the room cleaned each morning. Real good value compared to other hotels nearby, and this one is within walking distance of a few blocks maximum to many retaurants.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

We sincerely appreciate your patronage of our hotel. We acknowledge that as a consumer you have many options for lodging in the Buckhead area. We take pride in providing a quality service while consistently working to improve our guests’ experience. Your acknowledgement of our recent modernization efforts reinforces our commitment to guest satisfaction, and providing the best experience at a reasonable rate.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights for a fun weekend with my 3 sisters on Expedia and got a fantastic rate. I read all the reviews and didn't expect much other than a place to sleep -but I think we got much more than we bargained for.

The good definitely outweighed the bad - but I'll list them all here:

The Good:
Rooms were updated and mostly clean, comfortable bed and lots of room. We had 2 per room and it was perfect - thankfully they were able to put our rooms right next to one another. We walked down to Bistro Niko down the street after check-in and had a couple of drinks outside - very nice place! Will have to return to have dinner. We headed back to the hotel for the free drinks at the Manager's reception. Basic twist-cap wines and bottom shelf liquers, not exactly high-class, but the wine was pretty tasty.

We noticed that there were a number of very large groups checking in - and the small lobby seemed overrun with kids and parents. I was worried the hotel was going to loud with kids screaming and carrying on - but I never heard a peep. But the pool was obviously a favorite with the kids - not a place to go if you wanted to relax.

Everyone from the front desk, to the bartenders were very friendly. A maid stopped by one evening and dropped off 2 bottles of water and some pretzles - that's always nice.

We used the shuttle a number of times and the drivers were so kind and funny. We tipped generously. However, they did leave us stranded for over an hour at the Lennox mall Saturday afternoon. We ended up having to take a $16 cab ride back.

The living room area was so nice to have. The four of us stayed up late playing board games and chatting, and it was great not to have to do it sitting on a bed. Having a coffee table, couch and 2 chairs was ideal for us.

Tip: There are a number of really great places to eat. We had a large group of 8 at Dante's Down the Hatch and had fantastic food and entertainment - if you haven't gone, GO!
Also, the Buckhead Diner was amazing for Brunch and Prime in the Lennox Mall was out of this world.

The Bad:
Breakfast left a lot to be desired. The coffee and fruit were all I could stomach. My sisters waited in the long line for omlettes, but they left most on the plate. The bacon was literally, no lie, tasteless. How is that even possible?? I'm not super picky, but everything tasted like nothing, very odd. Although, I will say the staff was gracious and very on the ball.

While the rooms were mostly clean, there were a few things that caught my eye: Like the large, white drippy stain on the arm of the chair in my sister's room. I don't even want to know what that was. Hair in our shower was not appreciated and neither was the gooey-sticky gunk on the remote. That was gross.

Parking is outrageous at $24 a day. It's almost impossible to self-park as there is mass chaos as you pull up to the hotel.

Saturday night there was a crowd of very questionable characters just hanging around outside. Not only were they loud, but they reeked of pot and acted if they were drunk. I was very surprised not a single hotel staffer asked them to move their party elsewhere.

One last minor complaint was the endless wait for the elevator. One bank of 3 elevators is all there is - and to go up or down was a good 5-8 minute wait. We took the stairs more than once - which I don't advise, as they were dark, dirty and stank of cigarettes and stale beer.

All in all, it was a good stay, but it seems that there is a dark underside to the hotel that comes out at night and stays hidden in the stairwells. But we felt safe and comfortable and I would return again, especially at the rate we got ($89/night). It's location in Buckhead makes it easily accessible to lots of attractions, shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Tinabean
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Nice, clean, easy, typical Embassy Suites.....Breakfast and happy hour both good. Room clean and I always enjoy the suite concept regardless of how long I actually spend in my room. When I got my "slid under the door" invoice, I noticed a $10 charge for valet parking. Um....I got to the hotel via MARTA from the airport, and walked from the train station to the hotel, so I'm thinking they misapplied the charge....so I let the desk clerk know my situation. She has me stand there for about 10 minutes waiting for the valet to check it out. Well, that doesn't happen, so she finally reverses the charge. Thanks! HOWEVER, I check my CC statement today and IT'S BACK ON!! Have to call the hotel to get it reversed...again. We'll see if it sticks this time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 65Pony

We are glad to hear that you’ve found the accommodations at our property to your liking and that your overall experience to be satisfactory. We do apologize with our most heartfelt humility and empathy for the inconveniences that you experienced while staying with us. Billing errors are a rather unfortunate experience within itself and to experience it while traveling adds insult to injury. Please know that we employ every safeguard at our disposal to keep these incidents to a minimum. We thank you for choosing our property for your lodging needs.

Reviewed 29 March 2011

A typical Embassy Suites, this is a pleasant hotel. The staff are very friendly, the lobby has the typical koi ponds and a nice glass enclosed swimming pool just next to the lobby. There is only one bank of 3 elevators at the front of the hotel (opposite side from the garage elevators) to reach the rooms. All the elevators are open to the lobby (not pleasant for agoraphobics).

Apart from the elevators, I have just a few complaints: no free wifi (at this price, it should be free), no freezer in the fridge, no towel rack (if I use a towel in the evening, I want to be able to hang it up), on the upper floors, the hot water takes 5 minutes to get to the sinks, there's only one bright lamp between the 2 beds, and the Manager's reception only has pretzels and crackers to eat, but plenty of strong basic drinks (although if you ask for anything with more than 3 ingredients they'll leave something out).

It was $18 a night to park in the garage with in/out privileges and there are plenty of spaces.

The Good: The rooms are large with a front room with couch, TV, desk, chairs, wet bar, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. There's a door to the bedroom/bathroom which is also large and has a good curtains to keep out the light, another flatscreen TV, comfortable (not plushy) beds. The bathroom is nice (although no makeup mirror and no towel racks). The place has 2 more sinks -- one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. No waiting to wash your hands and brush your teeth. The area around the hotel feels safe but is busy with traffic. We only had noise one night from the road (we were on the 13th floor). There's a ton of shopping around that area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank iwanderafar
EmbassyDOSM, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We have just completed our one year anniversary since the completion of our hotel’s renovations. We are enthused that overall the changes to our property have made a positive impact on your stay. The evolution of our property is still on-going and we are constantly looking to improve upon our overall guest experience and service. Any feedback, albeit positive or negative is greatly appreciate. We thank you for your patronage, but more importantly for your feedback as it helps us steer our brand and property to becoming an industry leader as well as the destination property of travelers in the Buckhead area.

Reviewed 29 March 2011

Six of us stayed there while attending a downtown convention. Staff was exceptionally friendly, southern hospitality for sure. Room was clean and quiet with no problems. A block from Marta for easy access to convention center and airport, plenty of nearby shopping and restaurants, free shuttle to just about anywhere local, first come first served. Ruth's Chris in lobby was awesome, but pricy. Business center had one antique computer that didnt have internet or a working printer. Wifi was free in spite of welcome screen indicating a price.
Problem was the dining area. Included breakfast was handled by ONE frantic person cooking omlettes or dishing out scrambled eggs and meager slice of bacon to those that waited too long in the food line. Coffee was weak. Table cleanup was slow, so we ate next to dirty dishes. Managers reception was good, but the biggest beef was no place to sit for breakfast or reception. Hotel was crowded yet there were few tables for guests. Annoying to have to sit on a stone wall to eat, yet there was plenty of open space in the middle of the room for more tables. How about correlating hotel bookings with accomodations?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Rich R

On behalf of the family of team members of the Embassy Suites Atlanta Buckhead I’d like to extend our most heartfelt “Thank You”. The choices for hotel accommodations in the Buckhead area are many, and for you to patronize our property is greatly appreciated. We pride ourselves on upholding the standards of our brand and the expectations of our customers and guests. Starting your day off with a delicious breakfast in comfort gives you an opportunity to evaluate the day’s activities. Seemingly, your comfort was disrupted by an unexpected influx of guests taking advantage of the complementary breakfast. Please know that in every instance from staffing to supplies our goal is to ensure the highest level of comfort, quality, and professionalism. We are consistently striving to improve our services, and rest assured we are addressing the points annotated in your post. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2011

We selected this hotel based on location and price. The location was great but the hotel wasn't. The rooms were in dire need of a remodeling and the bathroom was especially bad. The curved shower rod was loose and sagging so the shower curtain was draped half way across the tub floor. There were cracked tiles and dirty grout in the shower as well as water stains on the bottom of the bathroom door. Housekeeping didn't do a great job cleaning the bathroom either. On the day of our checkout, she kept pestering us even though we weren't late leaving (checkout was noon). We'll find another hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bob_96
EmbassyDOSM, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2011

I am truly sorry that your stay with us was not to the quality standards that we set for ourselves. With other options in the area we are sincerely grateful you chose our property to patronize. Our staff is dedicated to the comfort of our guests and if there is instance where standards aren’t being met we certainly would like to know. I thank you for bringing this to our attention. Since this posting, our housekeeping staff in conjunction with our engineers have improved upon the integrity of our facilities to ensure the highest levels of quality with respect to cleanliness and comfort. If you’re ever in the Buckhead area again we invite you to give us an opportunity to WOW you and dismiss any desire to want to stay at any neighboring hotel.