“Full of character” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Brisbane, Australia
“Full of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

This place was such a great price compared to other accommodations around Atlanta and I wasn't entirely sure because of the mixed reviews it has received. Sure, the building is old which means creaky floors, some chipped walls and thin walls....very thin walls. But it's cool! I can sometimes be a light sleeper so I just had my ear plugs incase my neighbour had the tv on loud at odd hours. You have to expect a building that was built in the 20's to have some of these downsides but it's totally worth it for the price and location. It's walking distance to Little Five Points and has a cool bar/restaurant on one side and a very tasty Vegan Soul Food restaurant on the other. Just a block down are some shops, more restaurants and the Plaza Theatre which is an awesome Independent Cinema that I watched an old samurai movie at. Pretty close cab ride to the iconic Clermont Lounge! After visiting the downtown area I'm so glad that I stayed at the Highland Inn in this wonderful part of town.

Room Tip: Pretty sure there is no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage, ground floor would be preferable.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank vargasgirl1984
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Wow! Thanks for your wonderful review of our inn and for sharing it with other potential guests! It's always nice to hear when a guest has been able to venture out and take in all of the wonderful things our neighborhood has to offer. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

The Highland Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel was built in 1927, so expect wear and tear on the building, squeaky floors, and dents here and there. Personally, I like the character of the Inn and enjoyed my stay. Room and bathroom are clean. The Inn has the atmosphere of a hostel. I'd stay there again next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: I made my reservation through hotels.com and it was on special.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pneriah
The highest compliment we can be paid is your promise to return! We greatly appreciate this great review and you sharing your experience on the TripAdvisor website! We hope you will return for a visit soon!

Maryville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was kind of Leary at first. But after staying there a few nights we loved it. So different. There were a couple things that happened that made me think it is haunted. The only complaint was the hot water. It would be fine one minute and then be scolding hot. We went to the cafe next door and they were so friendly. Went there every day. Staff was very nice. Thought the cable wasn't working and they sent up a maintenance man within mins. Ended up our goof up. :) will def visit again!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank shellbel78
Wow! Thanks so much for your 5-star review! We are so happy that you decided to stay with us and that you enjoyed your stay. Also, thank you for mentioning our wonderful staff, I will be sure to share your kinds words with the whole team.

I will definitely speak to maintenance in regards to the fluctuation in water temperature to see what can be done to resolve the issue. Glad we were able to get the cable fixed right away for you! We hope you will be back again soon!!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Do not come here expecting a top of the line hotel experience. But really... what can you expect for such a low room rate? It is a nice older hotel with small, clean rooms and a somewhat faded decor. In my room the paint was fading, the ceiling was patched, and water barely sprayed out of the shower. I would recommend this hotel for the budget minded traveler to Atlanta.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our inn! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. It is true that we are an older hotel with quirks and character, however, we are always striving to make improvements. We hope you will come back and stay again soon!

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have traveled a lot. I am terminally sick of the usual antiseptic hotel. The Highland Inn is the perfect cure. It's also inexpensive!

I've tested this place on and off for about five months (business) and I like it better every week. There is depth to the infrastructure, the other visitors, the management, the desk clerks. Everything is a little scruffy but in a good way. Everyone works hard and if the building is a little old, the floors creak, the shower temperature is not very consistent and the painting shortcuts have accumulated over the years... well, that's part of the deal.

Better and best, this place is embedded in a genuine neighborhood with assets. I ride my bike five miles down a nearby green way to downtown every day and then huff my way back in the evening (this is the Highlands). The bike rental place (Atlanta Beltline Bicycles) is a 15 minute walk down the greenway in a gigantic quonset hut. Up the street is a good collection of blues, rock and jazz bars. A remarkable political bar is a block away. There are two competing coffee places. I prefer Java Vino. Several of the best restaurants in Atlanta are a (long) walk away. The Majestic Diner is open all night. A good bar and restaurant lives right next door. There is a barber shop, a cupcake factory and a store that sells memorabilia from my youth. The grocery store is nearby (cooked chickens and microwave food).

Cafe 360 is the place next door. Also a little funky. Also fun. Very good chicken dinner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RThatcher
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for this terrific (and thorough) review and for sharing this with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

nelson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Some will like the style, some wont, the room we had was very small and old fashioned and a bit run down, BUT it worked, it was clean and was good value for what we paid. There are variations in corridor floor levels, elderly pipework and lots of posters/artworks in the corridors and breakfast room, which also had actual crockery and a fridge with cartons of milk and fruit juice. The location is good, only 3 miles from the city centre and has plenty of cafes, restaurants etc nearby. One minor annoyance was an irregular noisy drip onto the top of our air conditioner which disturbed our first night and may have been condensation from the one above. Do not book if you use a wheelchair, there are unavoidable steps.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. We are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the uniqueness of our hotel. I apologize for the dripping noise that you experienced and I have alerted our maintenance team of the issue in hopes that we can do something to correct it. Thank you for staying with us, and we nope that you will return again soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Firstly, we were unable to sleep all night because of the creeky n thumping noise from the guests walking around all night.
Secondly, i had called them to request for microwave and the woman i spoke to says " unfortunately we dont have microwaves lying around here." I was surprised by her attitude.. And then again since i have worked the front desk a while ago i know how busy and frustrating it gets at times. So i kept an open mind and went on. Stayed there for one night and something came up the next day and we thought we would need to extend our checkout time by an hour or so. And yet again this woman at the front desk( sunny) talked so rude to my husband!
Not keen on staying here again. Would rather pay up a little more and get a good night rest and not put up with bad attitude.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We truly apologize that you had a bad experience with our front desk staff member. It is not in keeping with our usual standards and Sunni is one of our most complemented employees. Our front desk staff strive to make customer service a top priority and I sincerely regret that this was not your experience with us. I will be sure to address this incident with all of our staff.