“Old Georgia Charm”

Ranked #98 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Old Georgia Charm”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Highland Inn is not your typical American Hotel, in that it still has the charm of days gone by, the character of the Hotel is overwhelming, and it is in many ways a breath of fresh air in Atlanta for travellers. The rooms are quirky with the way they are set out, almost like small apartments with different rooms within the room. The beds are exceptionally comfortable and very clean, but the bathroom is a little on the small side, and I must admit the Hot Water in the Shower is only just warm. The neighbourhood is fantastic with a very cool vibe, and lots of great places to eat within walking distance. If you fancy something a little different in the Atlanta area don't be afraid to give this place a go.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Antony G
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for recognizing the character of our hotel and for mentioning our wonderful location! It pleases us to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you sharing your positive review with other potential guests. We hope we will see you again the next time you are in Atlanta!

The Highland Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We came to Atlanta for a business trip. After one night stay my husband had a huge allergy attack that he hasn't had in 15 years! The showers have zero water pressure and you have to "play" with the water to keep from being cold. It felt like taking a shower in the rain. The bed was not great and the window unit was turning on and off all night. That would not be an issue if they were not so loud. The breakfast is great for a light start. As far as the staff, some were more friendly than others. Others seemed they could care less.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jjringo1
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have every desire to address the areas that we fell short and prevent such service failures reoccurring in the future. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you were caused during your stay. Again we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.

El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Found this place while stranded in Atlanta due to car trouble, and it turned out to be a great, spontaneous overnight stay. The staff was very friendly and more than welcoming of our 35 pound dog (which is not our usual experience). The Inn has such a unique charm, and the room was very spacious and homey. Yes, it is older, so if you are expecting modern and fancy, this place is not for you. More room for us in that case! The location was great for heading out for dinner and a few beers, and we were even able to use Lyft for a quick ride back to the Inn. We even took the dog for a morning stroll and loved the surrounding neighborhood. The complimentary breakfast was simple but good. We will definitely stay here if we find ourselves back in Atlanta!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenleyt
Thank you so much the wonderful review and for sharing with other travelers on TripAdvisor! We are so appreciative of feedback from our guests, especially when it is so positive! We're glad you found our location convenient and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Atlanta!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights for a job interview and I absolutely loved it. When I found out there was no hostel in Atlanta, I chose to stay here because it's relatively cheap compared to hotels in the area. It's old and funky which makes it that much better. My room was cute and I didn't want to leave! It was huge and had a lot of windows and a full closet. Even though my room faced a busy street, I slept peacefully all night. The hotel is in a great part of Atlanta, too, with pubs, restaurants, cafes, Atlanta Cupcake Factory, CrossFit, and even an independent movie theater all within walking distance. And only 3 miles from the North Avenue MARTA station. It is also about a 10-minute walk to the new BeltLine which is a new 22-mile biking/running path that goes through the city. Perfect if you want to get a little exercise and see some of the city. Literally the ONLY downside is that the shower took a while to get hot and the temperature fluctuated a bit while showering (first world problems, right?). Breakfast was simple, but perfect. They had bagels, coffee, juice, cream cheese, cereal, fruit, etc. The staff was great and gave me great advice on cheap places to eat nearby. I would definitely stay here again and I HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kmr0se
We are so glad you love our hotel! Thanks so much for the excellent review. We really appreciate your kind words and will be sure to pass along your compliments to our staff! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back next time you are in the area!

Franklin, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was really excited to stay here - I loved avoiding the chain hotels for a cute, old-school inn. While it was cute, and the architecture was pretty... It looked more like any old building in a run-down part of town. The floors hadn't been vacuumed well, and we found several dead bugs (including a ladybug IN the bed!) It was a very cold night, and there was a major draft from the windows, as well. The shower is connected to all of the other rooms, so when someone in a different room flushes their toilet, the water in our shower became scalding hot! We could EASILY hear ALL noises from other rooms near us (and above and below us, as well). While I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if we could have gone out and enjoyed the neighborhood, it was insanely cold, and we never got a chance to really get out much. I think we'll come back and enjoy the area again, but probably not staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HighlandInn, Manager at The Highland Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us improve. Our building is older and does have some quirks, however, I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

As far as the cleanliness of the hotel is concerned, it is rare that we receive anything other than positive remarks about our housekeeping. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards, and for that I apologize.

Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2014

interesting old building in the five points area. lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and just about everything else within a short drive. the staff is super helpful and nice. this was our second time staying and enjoyed it more than the first (the first time we had a noisy radiator heater that kept me awake, only complaint). my wife and i like older buildings w/ character and mom and pop type places rather than chains. my daughter would love an indoor swimming pool but you can't have everything (since we're paying she doesn't get a say).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Douglas H
Thank you for visiting us again and for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! We are pleased to hear that you noticed the improvements we made to the heating system. Guest feedback was what made it possible. Please come back and see us soon!

Montague
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This is a very reasonably priced small inn that keeps the character of its neighborhood. The location is fabulous. A great coffee/wine shop, the oldest tavern in Atlanta, and a wonderful restaurant are all within very close walking distance. This is also close to the Jimmy Carter museum and many other walkable restaurants and attractions. The hotel is comfortable, but not fancy. My room was extremely clean, especially given the age of the hotel. The bedding was very comfortable and the towels were plentiful and great! The decor is faded, but again, that keeps to the historical character. A table and chairs can be used for eating or for working, and a small refrigerator was included. I had no problems with hot water. I did need to turn on the heat when I arrived, but I appreciate that the hotel is not heating rooms while vacant. This is good stewardship. The check out staff was very helpful and patient. I also was very pleased that my son could bring his dog to his room at, again, a very reasonable pet fee. My family just moved to this area. This will be my go to place in Atlanta. Please note that I often review very high end hotels. I assess a hotel according to how they present the property to the public. Again, I find this to be an extremely good value and will recommend it to other family and friends.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Markey2
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel and neighborhood! We appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of your room, our housekeeping staff work so hard to make sure of it. I will share your kind words with the entire staff. We hope you will return again in the near future!